Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Softest Foot Pads ???

Forum for kitesurfers
Eurus
Frequent Poster

Softest Foot Pads ???

Postby Eurus » Sat May 11, 2013 7:58 am

I fractured my calcaneus (heel) bone skate boarding in my younger days and still feel it today many years later. After a long 4 - 6 hour session my heel is screaming at me. I can barely put weight on it the next morning it gets so sore. I have gone through soooooo many foot pad combos I lost count awhile back. I settled on the 2011 FOne pro pad because at the time it was the softest on the market which my heel definitely appreciates.

Are there any super soft EVA foot pads new on the market anyone can comment on? I'm looking to replace my worn FOne pads. I have not had a chance to check out their new Pro Platinum Pad but they say its the most comfortable on the market. Anyone tried these yet?

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Softest Foot Pads ???

Postby ChristoffM » Sat May 11, 2013 5:05 pm

I don't know any softer pads than those, apart from maybe trying to put some soft foam underneath the pair of pads you get next. The thicker the foam under foot the softer normally? Mind you, the softer the pads the thicker they need to be anyway not to bottom out.

Otherwise do your joins a favour and try a hydrofoil. Ten times softer on your joints, and then you will probably spend less time on the twintip and be able to make the most of those occasions, while flying the magic carpet the rest of the time.

jedi1
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jedi1 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:32 pm

http://www.spboarding.com/index.php/e-s ... egory_id=5 - some very soft pads, at least those used to be.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Maybe you could cut a hole in the pad directly under the injured area just the surrounding tissue would touch the pad and absorb most of the vibration and shock.

jpkiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: NJ ( Lakes Bay, Brigantine, Tuckerton)
Favorite Beaches: Lakes Bay,NJ
Brigantine,NJ
Dock St. NJ
Florida Flats, Key West
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Epic kites, BRO-KITE POP 130X 40, HEIN custom boards, AXIS Vanguard+Nuskool, Kokotat drysuits

Postby jpkiter » Sat May 11, 2013 10:04 pm

Not sure if you have tried these at all, My fav footpads are the double stuff Oreo's...(made by North Shore Inc)...second, I like the Ocean Rodeo Bliss pads...

I've found both of them to be very cushy...
Good luck

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sat May 11, 2013 11:05 pm

I have the new Hydra fittings from Cabrinha. Swapped my old Sync fiitings as they were hard and uncomfortable. These are soft and very comfortable. :P

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Sun May 12, 2013 6:07 am

jpkiter wrote:Not sure if you have tried these at all, My fav footpads are the double stuff Oreo's...(made by North Shore Inc)...second, I like the Ocean Rodeo Bliss pads...

I've found both of them to be very cushy...
Good luck
Nice reco...I'll def give them a look.

jack bush
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jack bush » Sun May 12, 2013 6:20 am

Softer is not necessarily better.
I also found the Fone pads to be the most comfortable. You can also give the Xenon pads a shot.

http://www.xenonboards.com/en/accessories/padsandstraps

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun May 12, 2013 7:25 pm

hmmm. I think you may need to think outside the box a little. Maybe make your own pad or lift your fone pad up and place a 1/2" eva foam insert under it for extra softness.

I think you may need to explore board options for to get a smoother board and also consider the power you hold down. The more power you are holding the harder it will be on your feet. I can blow my heals out in a couple of hours riding super powered on my speed 3, but spend many hours correctly powered on smaller kites.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Wed May 15, 2013 10:20 pm

plummet wrote:hmmm. I think you may need to think outside the box a little. Maybe make your own pad or lift your fone pad up and place a 1/2" eva foam insert under it for extra softness.

I think you may need to explore board options for to get a smoother board and also consider the power you hold down. The more power you are holding the harder it will be on your feet. I can blow my heals out in a couple of hours riding super powered on my speed 3, but spend many hours correctly powered on smaller kites.
North did this with their pads and I have them on my Cabrinha Custom and there was not a noticeable difference versus the FOne pads. The FOne pads were still softer so I immediately ruled out doing this but thanks for the suggestion. As far as exploring board options I am at the the limit for comfort with the Cabrinha Custom. It is a very forgiving board and has plenty of rocker to make chop seem like it's not there. And no way am I gonna' trade off for less power.

I realize my riding style limits the level of comfort I can expect but the point of my post was not about compromise. I'm simply asking for feedback on the softest pads on the market.

Return to “Kitesurfing”