Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Harness question relating to sciatic pain.

Forum for kitesurfers
wardr77
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK Camber , Whitstable. Southcoast in general
Style: Freeride
Gear: Nobile / Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Harness question relating to sciatic pain.

Postby wardr77 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:44 pm

I have suffered with sciatic pain now for the last 3 months due to a bulging disc in my lower back, although the pain has improved somewhat (good Physio) it still 'shocks' down my right arse cheek and leg when kitesurfing. I wear a waist harness. My specific question then is this:

Is there anyone out that who is/has suffered with sciatic pain, and managed to significantly reduce the pain by changing to a seat harness?

Thanks

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Re: Harness question relating to sciatic pain.

Postby oldkiter » Sat May 11, 2013 12:59 am

Yes - 40 plus years with degenerative lower discs and sciatic problems - windsurfed 20 plus years and kiting past 10 years - seat harness best for those problems because most pressure can be adjusted to legs and butt - situps also help alot - good luck!!!

kandrey89
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bay Area, CA
Been thanked: 0

Postby kandrey89 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:11 am

So I'm 6' 5" tall, 175lbs, and have lower back pains, probably some form of sciatica, you recommend the seat too?

I'm wondering how hard it is to find a good seat that fits you.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:06 am

wardr77 wrote:I have suffered with sciatic pain now for the last 3 months due to a bulging disc in my lower back, although the pain has improved somewhat (good Physio) it still 'shocks' down my right arse cheek and leg when kitesurfing. I wear a waist harness. My specific question then is this:

Is there anyone out that who is/has suffered with sciatic pain, and managed to significantly reduce the pain by changing to a seat harness?

Thanks
Hi,

I had bad sciatica, and needed an operation to repair the damage to my disc.

I year later I still use both Waist and Seat depending on the Discipline I do.

Seat for Race and Slalom and Waist for Oldschool and Wave.

However I use a very stiff big Waist harness (Dakine Pyro) that has a lot of support.

The best thing you can do to relieve sciatica is to strengthen your Abs and Core.

If I let my Abs get weak the Sciatic Pain starts to return as the Back muscles have to start supporting my Spine. Make sure you do the exercises your Physiotherapist gives you for homework.

As soon as your Sixpack starts developing I guarantee the pain will be significantly reduced, if not gone during kiting sessions.

--
Gunnar

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Sat May 11, 2013 3:03 am

gmb13 wrote:
wardr77 wrote:I have suffered with sciatic pain now for the last 3 months due to a bulging disc in my lower back, although the pain has improved somewhat (good Physio) it still 'shocks' down my right arse cheek and leg when kitesurfing. I wear a waist harness. My specific question then is this:

Thanks
Hi,

I had bad sciatica, and needed an operation to repair the damage to my disc.

I year later I still use both Waist and Seat depending on the Discipline I do.

Seat for Race and Slalom and Waist for Oldschool and Wave.

However I use a very stiff big Waist harness (Dakine Pyro) that has a lot of support.

The best thing you can do to relieve sciatica is to strengthen your Abs and Core.

If I let my Abs get weak the Sciatic Pain starts to return as the Back muscles have to start supporting my Spine. Make sure you do the exercises your Physiotherapist gives you for homework.

As soon as your Sixpack starts developing I guarantee the pain will be significantly reduced, if not gone during kiting sessions.

--
Gunnar
My "sixpack" is drained - but appropriate exercises still important!

MMac22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SC
Style: Surf
Gear: North kites, Tomo boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby MMac22 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:12 am

It really depends on your specific issue, you need to try both to see what works for you. I suffered a ruptured disc, surgery and had sciatica for many years. Most people told me that a seat harness was best. However, I discovered the opposite. For me, a seat harness compressed my butt into my spine and made it hurt much worse. However, I found a waist harness stretches out my waist/spine and provides relief. Furthermore, a seat harness pulled my hips out of alignment enough to cause additional pain. I do not have this issue with a waist harness.
Bottom line, I found everyone's issue is unique and you need to find out which works best for you. Listen to your back. Fwiw, mild traction cured my back issues.

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Sat May 11, 2013 5:01 am

Welcome to middle age my friend. I agree with whats been said. I have had exactly your problem for nearly 2 years. Skiing accident then fell out of a tree and made it worse (doh!). Not bad enough for surgery but literally a pain in the arse. I hate seat harnesses but had to go to one for a year or so. Combined that with a sliding hook, core exercises every morning as a religion and antiinflammatories and now am back in a waist harness (with a sliding hook). I also find that rotational stretches after core exercises helps. As I write this I still have some sciatica but it doesnt stop my sports and I expect it to gradually regress over a few years. Paddleboarding is an awesome core strengthening sport to include in your repertoire.

wardr77
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK Camber , Whitstable. Southcoast in general
Gear: Nobile / Slingshot

Postby wardr77 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I think if I can I will trial a seat and see how I get on with it before making the plunge and buying one. Interestingly as I sit here writing this there is virtually no pain at all, so despite the pain experienced during last nights session, it seems to have helped me out! Well at least temporarily...

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat May 11, 2013 9:25 am

My experience is the exact opposite. Every year or so my back would flare up and I would be crippled. I could not stand up straight. I was out of action for a week or two.

Riding toeside with a seat harness made it worse. I think the spreader is like a giant spanner attached to my hips and it would just twist my lower back in a really bad way.

Since switching to a waist harness in 2007 I have not had a moment of debilitating back pain. In fact, if I don't get out kiting my back can get a bit stiff and sore. Excessive toeside still causes a bit of an ache but it's a good ache. I turned 56 in January. I have a chronic constriction of the lower back, which causes sciatica and a couple of crushed vertebrae from a paragliding accident.

I don't believe in all that "core" exercise stuff. I've tried it. Meh! If you are kiteboarding frequently and reasonably aggressively then your core is going to get worked. Use it or lose it!

I think the waist harness rewards good technique by requiring you to ride with your hips forward and back straight and legs in a good stance. The seat harness almost forces you into a bad position.

Raceboards might be a bit different. Today I was a tad over powered and feeling I would have liked that lower position and a little bit more reach on the bar. I really should make up a race trimming system.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat May 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Having suffered from this as well can I suggest a waist harness with a seat attachment. Flying objects make one that i find comfy. Funny story I thought it was a seat harness so when mine finnally went after 5 years i tried all these seat harnesses and they all felt wrong and hurt my back! Then someone wiser than me revealed the harness I like is indeed a waist with a seat. Sits a little higher than a seat and gives you that support and spread of load across the hips when boosting. I still use a waist though when the swell is really up.

Return to “Kitesurfing”