Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Following a Yacht on a kite - questions

Forum for kitesurfers
jackie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: None :-(
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco beaches. El Cotillo/Fuerteventura.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Following a Yacht on a kite - questions

Postby jackie » Mon May 13, 2013 2:43 pm

A chance has come for me to go on a cruise on a yacht and I am thinking along the lines of where yachts go, there must be wind and it must be possible to kite.. I think that I cannot go to a windy place and not kite...but I am not so sure whether it is a good idea, especially if there will not be any other kiters onboard who would know more about this...

Is it possible to follow a yacht on a kite ( I mean a few hours a day, not the whole time)? Or is the yacht going to be too fast for a kite perhaps? Can you just cruise in the middle of the sea, or is there some problem with it, is it not forbidden perhaps ? The sea is maybe going to be too choppy so it will not be so nice after all?

I am already aware that the starting and landing and not tangling the lines will be a challenge, and I have already found some articles about that, but I as I have no experience with sailing , I am not really sure whether it can work easily together.. or whether it is just better to wait till the yacht stops in a bay.

I will be happy to hear some reassurance that it is a good idea:-) Many thanks!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Following a Yacht on a kite - questions

Postby BWD » Mon May 13, 2013 3:16 pm

It will probably be better to wait until the yacht stops in a bay until you learn more about sailing.
Of course it's possible, but everyone should know what is going on!
You should know how to sail the boat, and the boat's crew should at least understand how kiting works, to avoid danger and allow reasonable safety and fun.
There may be times it is ok to follow along from place to place, but it all depends on conditions and knowledge, especially the crew's knowledge of the sailing area.
Be very careful of keeping lines away from propellers, have fun!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon May 13, 2013 4:06 pm

The people operating the cruise may not allow it. First thing is to check with them.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon May 13, 2013 4:30 pm

If u are going on a cruise with a sailing yatch it will be all "fake sailing" they put up the mailsail when it's blowing 4 knots and turn on the motor, time is money, they won't wait for wind to keep their schedule. The people on board will feel the wind and think they are sailing and have a good time, but you won't be able to kite. Check the time and places for your cruise and then check the wind reports for that area you can't count on the "sailing" yatch for wind. If you snap a line or the wind dies they will have to stop the cruise and come get you that can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars to the cruise from being behind schedule and having to burn diesel to make up time or having to add a day to the cruise.

I think it's a great idea, you'll have some things to work out. I know it's better to ask permission ahead of time, but maybe this is one of those "hold my beer and go for it" ideas, and if there's a problem just say you didn't know any better. Also try not to die.

I would probably not follow the yatch but go ahead of it, so if you snap a line, it's quicker for them to pick you up, they don't have to turn around.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon May 13, 2013 5:14 pm

If it was not obvious, my comment assumes you meant a small, private yacht owned or chartered by a friend of yours who is willing to let you kite from it.
Naturally if that is not the case, and it is some commercial tourist deal, it's unlikely, and probably not a good idea.

briansuntrax
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin Beach, Tableview.
Golfinho hotel, Cumbuco.
Favorite Beaches: Dolphin Beach.
Cumbuco, upwind of Golfinho hotel.
Taiba to Paracaru downwinder.
Rede beach at low tide.
NOT Cauipe
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Dash and Pivots - Monarch TT.
Brand Affiliation: Owner Suntrax - Importer Naish Kitesuf South Africa.

Postby briansuntrax » Mon May 13, 2013 5:31 pm

If it is an average cruizing yacht, with an average sea state you will be going 50%-100% faster than the yacht . It will be the yacht that cannot keep up wth you so you will have plenty of time to jump and play around.
And there are certainly no rules once you get beyond a countries territorial waters, usualy 12 nautical miles off shore.
But obviously all the previous points raised re launching and safety are also relative.

Brian

jackie
Rare Poster

Postby jackie » Mon May 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Yes, yes, its will be a small private yacht, 10-15 people , no strict schedule, and I am pretty sure that the captain will agree. The forecast for the area (the Adriatic sea) states 4-6 BF, 70% probability, so that looks good to me. I just wanted to find out now, rather than after an hour of me preparing the kite, sorting the lines (which I manage to mess up even on the beach) and everybody waiting for me to start, that I would be three times slower than the yacht and that they have to pick me up again and wait for me some more time before I pack everything.. But on second thought, we should be all travelling downwind at the same speed, no.. or me even faster as Brian suggested.

What would be the best direction of the boat for me to go on the kite - when the boat is going pure downwind ? It seems like it to me, otherwise I would have to go too much on one side, if the boat would be sailing across the wind. And yes, I intend to go in front of the boat, I was thinking if something happened, I dont want to be pulled towards the boat by the wind, but it would be better to stay ahead of it or next to it. And if I should get dragged somewhere, I hope the boat will always get me..

Cheers again for any other advice! It does seem very tempting, but a little bit scary at the same time, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon May 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Where and how you launch and what course relative to the boat all depend on the conditions of the day and the needs of the boat.
One more piece of advice:
practice boat launching and drift launching A LOT before you try it on a sail boat in places you haven't been before.
This idea is really fun but it almost falls into the category of,
"If you have to ask, the answer is probably no."
So figure out the answers before you get into a tricky situation.
Don't get into a situation where the boat has to get off course or delayed or lines around its keel, propeller etc.
Your friends will be grateful!
I would say learn to sail a bit before the trip too so you understand better, if you don't already know how....

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon May 13, 2013 8:30 pm

awesome bro! Go for it. Sounds like you have good wind. If you have never done a boat launch before practice some boat launches they can be tricky. Since you will be the only kiter I suggest this: blow up your kite, lay out your lines on deck (you might have to walk in circles), wrap the lines, and then jump off the boat with your kite and board, and then drift launch, when you're done, kite up to the boat, flag out, climb aboard with bar and board, and then wrap it up.

Everyone seems to boat launch differently, the important part is not the actual technique but to practice your boat launch a dozen times before you go on the trip so it's nailed, and yes practice ON a boat, it's a lot different, don't just dry land it. Find a buddy with boat and spend a day jumping off, launching, wrapping up, jumping off again, launching etc. and do it deep water, don't cheat and do it where you can touch bottom.

I looked at some polar diagrams for those 50 foot yachts they seem pretty slow something like 50% wind speed even on a reach.

jackie
Rare Poster

Postby jackie » Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 pm

briansuntrax wrote:If it is an average cruizing yacht, with an average sea state you will be going 50%-100% faster than the yacht . It will be the yacht that cannot keep up wth you so you will have plenty of time to jump and play around.
And there are certainly no rules once you get beyond a countries territorial waters, usualy 12 nautical miles off shore.
But obviously all the previous points raised re launching and safety are also relative.

Brian
That sounds like good news, thanks a lot!

Return to “Kitesurfing”