Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, Prea, Taiba
Style: freestyle
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ozone Catalyst 12m2 Vs Liquid Force NRG 12m2

Postby andrewb44 » Tue May 14, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm looking for a new 12m2 kite. The 12m2 is my "goto" kite which I use most often.

Tossing up between Catalyst and NRG.

Criteria:
1. Bar Pressure - I'm looking for LOW bar pressure.
2. Boosting. Love to boost
3. Responsive feel
4. Handles gusts well.
5. Decent in the waves

What I'm reading:
NRG: great boosting, great drifting (waves), good relaunch, a little sluggish on the initiation of a turn. I'm concerned about BAR PRESSURE ??. (Similar to Airrush Lithium?)
Catalyst: Good all round, less grunty, need to work the kite in lower wind conditions, good relaunch, good boosting, very reactive
:?:
Appreciate any unbiased comments...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Catalyst 12m2 Vs Liquid Force NRG 12m2

Postby Westozzy » Tue May 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Flown both. NRG will out boost the cat in the same winds by a country mile. It is a higher aspect kite. The drift on the NRG for a high aspect kite is amazing. The cat is no slouch either. the NRG will have a much better bottom end but turns much slower than the cat as again it is higher aspect. The NRG will point upwind better as again higher aspect. But if you want to add in more than just wave riding and boosting the C built into the cat allows for much better looping and unhooked. The bar pressure is light to medium on both. Have heard some people say the bar presssure on the NRG can be high ish I did t find this.

Yeh it's a hard one. Cat is a better all rounder and more friendly stable and all that jazz. The NRG for wave riding and boosting real big wins.

But also depends on what feel you want. The cat has that refined ozone feel.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed May 15, 2013 12:21 am

I've flown the 12m NRG and thought it had very light bar pressure. But I had been flying a switchblade the whole day before that so it might have just been in comparison. Great kite, boosts are unreal with it

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed May 15, 2013 1:01 am

if price is no object, i would get the ozone cat it's my favorite kite, relaunches much better than the nrg, and has a super short bridle (no pulley) so if your kite gets caught in the wash you can usually still tug a line and it will pop up, less depower than the nrg but it is more responsive because of the short bridle, NRG seems to have more overall power sorry I can't comment on drift, ride a twintip so it's not my thing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”