Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Re: Epic Kites 3rd Generation. 3G II

Postby alexeyga » Tue May 14, 2013 7:34 pm

Sounds to me like Dimitri isn't the only one with "reading one thing, but understanding whatever he feels like understanding"-issue.

The only thing I have ever said is that if Dimitri is into producing a new bar with above-the-bar depower that requires 2-handed operation, he might just as well switch over to the below-the-bar setup as it comes down to the same sh#t, but below-the-bar setup is cleaner. Nothing more, nothing less.

If somebody has hallucinated a big "strap vs clamcleat" argument along the lines, this is not my problem.

I have, however, suggested an of-the-shelf clamcleat trimmer as a replacement for my-own failed trimmer. And I also brought up Blade's new bar with a clamcleat setup as an example.

That said, I have never had a jammed clamcleat, though I do maintain my gear which includes waxing the depower rope.

And yes, being a designer my-self I tend to value simple, sound, solid and elegant solutions which excludes a beard of parts that were considered "stone age" back in 2002, on a 2013 bar.

Caesar,
Were you suggesting that to me? :D In my mind Cabrinha makes what might have been called "The best and the cleanest and the safest bar on the market yet" if the bloody thing was adjustable in width!!! :angryfire: Damn, is that too much to ask in 2013??? Though I don't know about its long-term reliability and/or service-ability. Like i've told you in PM, at a certain level of riding you do get a solid idea as to what do you want, only to realize that there isn't that much to choose from.

Dimitri,
Thanks for the offer, especially considering that according to you - I was the one who broke it, twice in a row that is!!! But given that you still charge the shipping, cost of which to Canada is rather ridiculous - it is kinda cost-ineffective if i'll have to change these trimmers every 20 outings or so... Got other consumables to worry about. B.t.w. I might have dissembled mine to replace the faulty buckle - for me it was simpler than to wait for a replacement while riding with no working trimmer, but as far as me "breaking" it - I'd choose my words more carefully.
Last edited by alexeyga on Wed May 15, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Tue May 14, 2013 7:41 pm

alexeyga wrote:Caesar,
Were you suggesting that to me? :D In my mind Cabrinha makes what might have been called "The best and the cleanest and the safest bar on the market yet" if the bloody thing was adjustable in width!!! :angryfire: Damn, is that too much to ask in 2013??? Though I don't know about its long-term reliability and/or service-ability. Like i've told you in PM, at a certain level of riding you do get a solid idea as to what do you want, only to realize that there isn't that much to choose from.
Hi mate,

Hehe, nah I was not suggesting that to you but to those who prefer to have their own "Design Department" but get nothing done in a reasonable time. No more to say...

Cheers
Caesar 8)

TommyDelly
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TommyDelly » Wed May 15, 2013 1:13 am

Caesar wrote:Why inventing the wheel again? Have a look at the Cabrinha control system.
For me the best on the market. Very effective in regards to line wear, a VERY long de-power system which can be reached *by everybody* (due to their springs), no mocking around...
The only draw back for me is that I can't install a micro-loop/hook.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Cabrinha-Quicklink-IDS-Bar-2012.jpg
I admit that the bar itself looks good and the pve over the center lines is nice, but with that depower system you never know how much you trimmed the kite. Also the QR is battling with slingshots QR for the WORST QR right now, i guess you need 3 hands to reassemble it in the water! And a spring? Really? That is some unnecessary shit lol :roll:

About the trimmer, i have both straps and cleats and i prefer the straps, because it works even if its totally covered with sand, where the cleat doesnt.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed May 15, 2013 6:24 am

Caesar wrote:Why inventing the wheel again? Have a look at the Cabrinha control system.
For me the best on the market.
Every company seems to have to reinvent the wheel with their bar system.
That's part of the reason there are so many that are not completely compatible to each kite.
And obviously why we have people that love and hate different systems.
I did say I would use pretty much any bar system without much fuss these days.
There are maybe a few I would not want to use...
....and one I definitely would not use...is the Cabrinha.
I've got pals that have had Cabrinha kites that hated to use the bar systems that came with them.
Bar systems always seem to be a preference thing, unless they are dangerous, and that is another story.
I think it depends on what kind of kiting you do, with what gear, in what conditions, with what level of kite power, your strength, skill, experience, age, and understanding of the gear.
I like the very simple systems, the original Wainman system was great, simple as hell.
The Ocean Rodeo bar is great because it's simple.
The Ozone is pretty good and pretty simple.
The Blade new bar system looks good and simple.
The new Epic system looks good and looks pretty simple.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Wed May 15, 2013 7:29 am

Hi TommyDelly and OldnBroken,

It shows that you both never had the Cab system. :wink:
I have all systems at the moment (2 Epic kites with the straps on the Epic bar, 2 Cab kites with straps and springs on the 2011 and 2012 Cab bar and 1 North Kite with a cleat on their 2013 bar).
The Cab bars and the North bar are both fine. No de-power straps or anything hanging around and can twist around the outside lines. I prefer the Cab de-power system and prefer the North QR/CL because I can install a micro-loop/hook and because of the simplicity.
The cleat of the North bar works fine, even though there is sand on the line. Why should it not work?
But first thing I do when I'm in deep water is dipping the bar and de-power system in the water to wash off all sand which still sticks on there when I rigged up the kite and those parts were laying in the sand.
But I don't want to hijack this Epic tread. I only made a suggestion from my *own personal experience* (and not what friends said or from what it looks like...).
There is nothing bad getting an idea from another company and adopt it (as long as there are no patent issues).

Cheers
Caesar 8)

TommyDelly
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TommyDelly » Wed May 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Caesar wrote: The cleat of the North bar works fine, even though there is sand on the line. Why should it not work?
But first thing I do when I'm in deep water is dipping the bar and de-power system in the water to wash off all sand which still sticks on there when I rigged up the kite and those parts were laying in the sand.
Well you are right, you can dip it in the water. But i like to adjust the trimmer before i launch the kite. With sand on it you wear the line and the clamcleat itself also the line can slide :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed May 15, 2013 3:33 pm

I never had wear on the depower line at the cleat, always at the hole.

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:50 am

Had two days on the Epic Screamer 4G 10m LTD now. Its an amazing kite :o , very stable and so much hangtime :o :o . I never used to be a fan of the 10m screamers but this kite is very nice.
The kite has great barresponce, is very direct and gives massive amounts of power. :thumb:

Today we done a downwinder and go kiting where Dimitri takes his videos with the Canals and islands. (absolutely amazing :jump: )

I got some massive hangtime with the 10m being full powered in 32/35 knots. Some of the gust where almost to much (didnt use the depower only for landing).
Now i'm about 115KG but Dimitri is like 70KG and he was also on a 10m 4G screamer. I couldnt believe he was able to keep riding with so much power. :angryfire: :baby:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu May 16, 2013 1:47 am

Geronimo79 wrote: Dimitri is like 70KG
:?:

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:09 am

Its my guess mr SupaEZ. Just calculated it its actuall 80KG. Didnt expect that but the guy is basicly pure muscle.

Return to “Kitesurfing”