switch element 13 review

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: switch element 13 review

Postby L0KI » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:19 am

Wow, that's really, really ..not good. Sorry for your buddy.

I had serious problems with the way my Method bridle was configured as well.
The outdated bridle configuration and the overly shallow draft curve, led to random inversions when I sheeted out.
I immediately notified the company of the inversions and bar pressure issues, ..I was told that I was the problem, not the bridle or kite design.
A year and a half later, they adopted the bridle type I suggested when I called them.

The last time I had a bridle that was too long, enough to get wrapped, it was a 2007 Slingshot T2 kite.
Most kites for the last 5 years, have had proper short front ladder bridles, and direct connect steering line leaders.
When they have those modern bridles, the kite can just tumble right through and the worst case is, that you fly back to shallow water to sort out your inside out lines.
It's 2013..if Elements are getting ripped in two, as jwoodnluv said a month ago, there are some tangible design problems.
...maybe time for a V2 Element redesign as well. :wink:
Last edited by L0KI on Fri May 03, 2013 3:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hansen Design » Wed May 01, 2013 7:05 pm

The facts:
1) Method V1 was released two years ago. Improved lower bar pressure more stable Method V2 6 months ago.
2) Kites are tethered flying objects. Crashed tumbling kites (of any brand) can wrap flying lines and/or bridles potentially causing damage.
3) Switch has produced thousands of kites distributed worldwide and has mostly satisfied customers. A quick check on the Switch forum or Facebook page will verify the high level of stoke for the brand and the kites.

I've included a drawing of the Element V1 bridle system for those interested. :thumb:
Element-Bridle-ID.jpg
Element-Bridle-ID.jpg (136.48 KiB) Viewed 6008 times

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 14, 2013 5:36 pm

99% I am going to be "switching" to your kites. BUT, I am a die hard five line believer so I will get rid of the bridle. Not that there is anything wrong with it. Before I saw your kites I was going to buy Ozone Catalyst and do the same thing to it. I own Airush Vapors II's and III's all set up on five lines. I wish companies like Ozone and Switch would make an 5 line option just like my Vapor III had which is discontinued now. :roll:

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hansen Design » Thu May 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi Marlboroughman:
Thanks for your interest in Switch kites! All models come equipped with a reinforced center 5th line bridle attachment. The Element and Nitro models are basically bridled 'C' hybrids which can be adapted to a 5th line while the Method is much flatter. If you go this route, I'll be interested in your set-up and results. Feel free to contact me during the conversion (if need be.)
Cheers! :thumb: :thumb:
marlboroughman wrote:99% I am going to be "switching" to your kites. BUT, I am a die hard five line believer so I will get rid of the bridle. Not that there is anything wrong with it. Before I saw your kites I was going to buy Ozone Catalyst and do the same thing to it. I own Airush Vapors II's and III's all set up on five lines. I wish companies like Ozone and Switch would make an 5 line option just like my Vapor III had which is discontinued now. :roll:

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 21, 2013 9:29 pm

You just made my day. The only kite these days out of a bag for me is North Rebel but the prices are a huge turn off.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:28 am

Element V2 released today.
The shape, profile, LE diameter, nice wide wingtips all look really good.

Here is what Switch say about it:
Element V2 is a completely new design.
A bit lower aspect with wider wingtips.
Fixed shorter and simpler bridle (no pulleys/sliders.)
Very direct feel. More low-end power.
Much better de-power. More stability overpowered.
User adjustable settings with lots of options.

Return to “Reviews”