Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

443 Euros / 550 USD / 349 GBP for a bar? Have they gone mad?

Forum for kitesurfers
flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 443 Euros / 550 USD / 349 GBP for a bar? Have they gone

Postby flybykite » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:29 am

I have really enjoyed Norths kites and bars and have flown North exclusively for the past year.
This year I wanted to upgrade a couple kites in my quiver and I couldn't believe the price hike they have taken on already expensive gear. Resorting to used gear thru forums, often with repairs or dated models. I just can't afford a new quiver every year or even every other year.
Today I discovered Switch kites!!!!
I was so excited to see realistic pricing. So excited in fact that I bought a new 16m and bar today from them for less than half the price (almost 1/3 the price) of major brands.
Still gotta fly it and report back and if all goes well I believe ive made my (Switch)
No doubt kite companies see this thread hanging out at the top of the forum for weeks now.
Hope you're listening

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:13 am

From one of the banners above, it would appear that one kite company is urging people to not Switch and buy direct from them.
Interesting that they are acknowledging Switch in their ad, not sure if that is advisable, kind of a Marketing 101 mistake.
I wonder how many kite companies are going to rethink their business model because of Switch kites?
Best did their thing a long time ago and it pissed the other kite companies off , but it put Best on the map and look at where they are today.
The thing with Mutiny or BWS or some of the other small start up kite companies, is that it is not always clear whether or not they are mail order direct only or not. Flexifoil USA? Caution Kites? Don't know who else that list includes.
Switch made it very clear what they were doing, and prices clearly reflected by their business model.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:43 am

At last, a really good thread with no pimping or trolling. let's try an roll this idea out through the rest of the fourm :D

dawind
Rare Poster
Gear: Zian Aquila 10m, 12m, 14m
Crazyfly 127cm, 136cm

Postby dawind » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Totally agree kite prices have gone out of control, direct to the public kites is the way to go for me. Besides Switch, Caution, BWS, are there any others? Maybe someone has a list they can post

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Fri May 17, 2013 12:42 am

Bring this back up to keep in mind for the 2014 gear.

Seen gas prices lately? The more expensive the gear, the smaller the market and fewer sales.

$400 kites = fresh new kites all the time.

$2,000 kites = not so much.

What was the cheapest new bars ever cost at the time?

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Fri May 17, 2013 1:34 am

Yes reminding everyone that bars barely cost 50$ from the factory !!!! and of course we dont really mind if their bars break, grip comes off, swivels dont work properly and not to mention lines breaking - because they Only cost 5-600$ and we are loyal customers with shit for brains and when a company like Switch kites offers super cheap high quality STRONG gear...
We just go Duh oh ok cool and another loyal dumbass customer who used to pay their wages is LOST !!!!
Dumbass kiteboard marketing 101.
OH and its not about resale value at all - when we start buying bars kites or boards from another brand...
It means youve lost another customer sale :)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri May 17, 2013 4:17 am

I'm not condoning high price. but everything comes at a price.
If you buy cheap, it will be cheap. That cheapness may or may not impact you.
but none the less it you will be loosing some feature or advantage that the other companies offer.

For example. If you buy on line you do not have the feature of easily being able to claim warrantee. If the kite turns up and its not quite what you want then what?.....

Anyway. none of this may bother you. in which case it will come down to flying.
I haven't flown switch so i can comment.
All I can say is that they seem to be the kite that's most likely to have a kitemare at my local beach. I have seen more switch kites torn to bits by the waves than any other brand.

Twitch
Medium Poster

Postby Twitch » Fri May 17, 2013 4:31 am

plummet wrote:I haven't flown switch so i can comment.
All I can say is that they seem to be the kite that's most likely to have a kitemare at my local beach. I have seen more switch kites torn to bits by the waves than any other brand.
Yeah maybe if you actually bought kites at a very fair price you wouldn't feel bad at all watching your kite get eaten by waves. Switch has it right, I'm hoping they become the most bought brand and you'll see how quickly other companies will lower their price and quit boning you.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Fri May 17, 2013 4:47 am

Gee that maybe the case at your local, the 8m Nitro V2 i ride waves and flatwater is still goin strong after goin through the wringer and looks as sturdy as the 7m edge i was using too.. Dont know about the other models though.
So apart from the 'nike' branding if i trash it, i can slways buy another n still have saved money !!!
As far as warranty goes - how many retailers have got bad reps for funked up customer service and deliver nothing at the end -
Id really like to know what i missed out on when my Top of the range bar grip started peeling ..

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Fri May 17, 2013 6:46 am

Suggestion why don't you guys using the Zeeko UDS Bar :?:
The design and workmanship is amazing, with spinning leash, stopper what else you need etc :thumb:
It's only $375 complete 54" Bar, from Montreal with a good safety system and a lot of depower.
I'm just changing to this on my Flysurfer Kites to get rid of the original lame infinity bar :idea:

There is a Thread about this here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2374213

DrLW

Return to “Kitesurfing”