Style: Freeride and Freestyle
Gear: Naish Park and Draft
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Halving the lines to teach.

Postby Glover » Fri May 17, 2013 6:11 am

Hi All

I use the 2011 Naish universal bar. I want to simply half the length of the lines without having to get a whole new set of lines.

I've literally just done it on my ITC but can't remember the exact process as it was a rock solid week.

Anyone have any tips on how to help? Anything to watch out for? Especially with the centre lines.

Thanks

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Re: Halving the lines to teach.

Postby bnthere » Fri May 17, 2013 1:40 pm

fold the lines back and larks head/attach ends to the same connections points they come from on the bar. create larks head at line end (with doubled back part). use a line connector at this point as well if possible as apposed to larks heading actual flying line directly to kite. this kind of thing is general used in low power/low load situations. there is something important to consider tho: the leash system. you will probably have to switch to a single outside line or single inside line above the bar leash system.

lot of different bars out there, some may not be possible to do this to, but thats the basic idea.

i can't remember exactly what the naish uni bar looks like and if there is anything specific about that, but good luck

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm

Postby jbdc » Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Before even worrying about the caveats that bnthere mentions, this will only work if the lines you're doubling are all the same length.

I can't think of a modern bar system which has outside line leaders that extend as far as the center swivel or trim straps. You'd probably be better making your own linesets.

Starting short and gradually increasing line lengths looks like a good teaching method. Probably the best part is that it puts the student on a standard bar and safety setup right away.

There's a guy in Cabarete who's developed his own instruction program around the concept:

http://methodlodge.com/kite

mrKnotty
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen, Netherlands
Style: free
Gear: Caution Mayhem, Shinn Luigi

Postby mrKnotty » Fri May 17, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm sure it is a hassle to permanently create the line set you want, instead of having an adjustable system. It might work by folding the lines to double, but it might weaken the line connections, because the lark's head you make halve way the line is done from a thin line, instead of a sleeve.
This creates sharp turns in the line, which lowers the breaking point of the line.
Since the lark's head is done over a pigtail, it might not be such a big problem, but still something to consider.

As a side note, using thicker extensions I regularly use an adjustable loop knot to adjust the fifth line of my ozone 2006 bar to fit my old north kites (whenever I had to lend my north bar out for instance).
This one does the job, it really holds!
http://grumpyoldgits.org/images/Loop3.jpg

It might suit you as well, as long as you do not try to tie it in thin kite lines.

Would you REALLY want to have a secure knot on kitelines that does NOT weaken the line, IMHO this is the way to go:
http://www.kitehigh.nl/i/gallery/upload ... 0small.jpg
It should just be tied really really tight, that's all. And use plenty of folds (at least 20 or so).
I do not encourage this course of action, but if you must, please use this knot.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Fri May 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Just out of curiosity what is the purpose in doing this? What advantages do you get rather than just learning on normal lines?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri May 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Less length = less power from diving kite, less chance of lofting, therefore able to teach on a medium kite instead of a tiny one, less distance from launcher/lander/instructor to student, more sensitive steering so student learns to center hands on bar,
also kite less able to tumble through its lines on a crash -hits water first....etc.

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma
Brand Affiliation: small potato rep

Postby dafish » Sun May 19, 2013 10:36 am

Sort lines are an excellent way to teach just having learned the method myself. Not only are the flying lessons easier, when you teach with shorter lines important skills like self rescue are easier to teach and lines are easier to untangle to keep the lessons going. I highly recommend shorter lines.
Also, I don't think that making larkheads weakens the lines, and if it does it is sooooo negligible compare to the benefits of what you can teach using these methods

Return to “Kitesurfing”