Forum for kitesurfers
franzschenk
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lightwind problem with Naish Bolt, 10.5m, model 2012

Postby franzschenk » Thu May 16, 2013 9:51 pm

This is a great forum with great people, thank you all for your advices!

I think that the tips from Dyylan are very helpful and I will try all this. Light wind for me with that kite is about 8 to 12 knots, I'm 69 kg.

I just never had the problem with my old JN kite that the kite drops while flying fast sinus curves. Always thought that when flying sinus curves that I had to use the maximum way from 12 o clock to close to the water and to pull the bar at maximum for faster steering to get the optimal power in light wind conditions. But what Dyylan says makes sense.

The problem is astonishing to me, because the Bolt is very stable when riding waves. It's even possible to surf a wave fast (long button turn) and all the lines have no tension for a moment, but the kite stays at the sky stable like a wing until the next cutback.

Today, the wind was much stronger, gusty and at the limit for the kite size. In this conditions the kite never stalls, but the depower line on the universal bar is very impractical: bad position very near the chicken loop and the safety line. Had sometimes to "ly down" in the water with the kite at 12 o clock for adjusting the power. And the depower is limited due a fixed "stopper ball". Other kiters suggested to open the screws of the stopper ball to make it gliding.

Has anyone tried that already?

In my opinion, Naish has still a lot of improvement possibilities.

Franz

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 am

I fly the same kite. I love this kite and refer to it as my 'little wind machine'. Until today I am often in awe how this kite performs and maneuvers for its size.

BUT - there are a few things I've learned what this kite wants: It's happy zone. And that's around 13 kts. Any wind below 13 kts will dramatically narrow the wind window where you can effectively fly this baby. I don't even pump it up below 15 kts rather leaving it in the car. Saves me a whole lot of drama.

When I have it out, it's a riot!

Again, BUT - there is dirty little secret to it. Due to its strong pull it easily oversheets. So give yourself a minute and trim the kite on the beach. Pull the bar all the way down (sheet in) and trim your depower line shortly before the kite stalls. This way you can't oversheet the kite on the water and every time you demand power you'll get it to the max.

This kite's very very happy zone is at 20 kts. Then when it feels like an iron fist on your harness. This kite has more power than some of the 12 or even 14 I've flown. You can get rid of the little stopper ball at the depower line or move it. Just open up the little srews and move it down or take it off. I've set it to a spot around 22kts where I am happy with. You need to take your time to dial this kite in.

Bottom line is, don't use it below 13/15 kts. Ain't fun, flies like a bitch. Above that it's a bitchin' kite!

Naish doesn't need to improve it. They dropped it from their line which broke my heart.

peace

PS: I'll use it with a 5.8 SS

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat May 18, 2013 10:52 am

franzschenk wrote:This is a great forum with great people, thank you all for your advices!

I think that the tips from Dyylan are very helpful and I will try all this. Light wind for me with that kite is about 8 to 12 knots, I'm 69 kg.

I just never had the problem with my old JN kite that the kite drops while flying fast sinus curves. Always thought that when flying sinus curves that I had to use the maximum way from 12 o clock to close to the water and to pull the bar at maximum for faster steering to get the optimal power in light wind conditions. But what Dyylan says makes sense.

The problem is astonishing to me, because the Bolt is very stable when riding waves. It's even possible to surf a wave fast (long button turn) and all the lines have no tension for a moment, but the kite stays at the sky stable like a wing until the next cutback.

Today, the wind was much stronger, gusty and at the limit for the kite size. In this conditions the kite never stalls, but the depower line on the universal bar is very impractical: bad position very near the chicken loop and the safety line. Had sometimes to "ly down" in the water with the kite at 12 o clock for adjusting the power. And the depower is limited due a fixed "stopper ball". Other kiters suggested to open the screws of the stopper ball to make it gliding.

Has anyone tried that already?

In my opinion, Naish has still a lot of improvement possibilities.

Franz
The square thingy you can easily take off the line. It is there, I think, for riders with shorter arms. You will get the technique depowering while riding..when you move the kite up, pull the depower down. It should work fine. They changed the orientation of the teeth quite a bit and it made it a lot easier.

A lot of kites needs to be able to breath a little in lighter winds. It is a bit counter intuitive to sheet out in light winds, but it is normal. The alternative would be to let that sweetspot be and have it adjusted so that the sweetspot in lightwinds always becomes the sweetspot. You can easily do that by moving the steering line out one knot under the floaters....but then you will lose a bit on the wave riding capabilities IMO.

This is not really recommended but you can take off the safety line and just use the depower line as your leash connection. If you do that, just know that if your depower lines breaks your whole rig goes.

franzschenk
Rare Poster

Postby franzschenk » Mon May 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Many thanks for the hints.

Had another light wind day with wind around 10 to 12 knots. With the knowledge that the fully powered kite stalls when pulling the bar, it's not difficult to follow dyylans hints. Steering the kite without pulling the bar to close works fine with the Bolt.

:D

Franz

Return to “Kitesurfing”