Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

what kind of paint should I use for a saltwater board?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
JaZone
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

what kind of paint should I use for a saltwater board?

Postby JaZone » Mon May 20, 2013 5:07 am

I was thinking of re-painting my kiteboard. I bought it used and it's kind of banged up so I thought I'd paint it over.

Anyone got a link to a good tutorial video on how to go about doing this?

Ozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hua Hin, Thailand
Favorite Beaches: Hua Hin
Gokova
Alaçatı
Gokceada
Boracay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 10
North Rebel 13
Ozone Zephyr
Cabrinha Spectrum
Cabrinha Tronic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: what kind of paint should I use for a saltwater board?

Postby Ozzie » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 am

Neon green or yellow. It is so visible.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 am

it doesn't matter. just put a layer of resin over top and you can use what ever you like. I used water based test pots for one of my repaints
P1090323.jpg

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:45 pm

plummet wrote:it doesn't matter. just put a layer of resin over top and you can use what ever you like. I used water based test pots for one of my repaints
If you put layer of epoxy resin on top then your board will yellow real quick. Maybe polyester resin might do ok on the top. Epoxy based resin.needs to have a protective top coat like a clear marine varnish or even an automotive clear coat.

I built a light wind board from plywood laminates and put 3 coats of marine paint on it, thinned the first coat. Works the very best, still going. I can't remember what I paid, maybe 15bucks for a quart, got it at the local hardware store.

It's bright orange... can't miss it :)

JaZone
Medium Poster

Postby JaZone » Tue May 21, 2013 11:40 pm

frankm1960 wrote:
plummet wrote:it doesn't matter. just put a layer of resin over top and you can use what ever you like. I used water based test pots for one of my repaints
If you put layer of epoxy resin on top then your board will yellow real quick. Maybe polyester resin might do ok on the top. Epoxy based resin.needs to have a protective top coat like a clear marine varnish or even an automotive clear coat.

I built a light wind board from plywood laminates and put 3 coats of marine paint on it, thinned the first coat. Works the very best, still going. I can't remember what I paid, maybe 15bucks for a quart, got it at the local hardware store.

so, did you still put a clear coat on it? Did you put any wax on it?

any pointers you could offer as to prepping , or technique?
Got any photos of the board?

I've been looking around , but I haven't found any good tutorials on how to paint a board so it will last in the salt water. I might look in some boating forums.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Wed May 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Automotive paint/clearcoat is what they use to paint boats, makes the boat look new for years. Handpainting straight Fast dry colored poly, have the hardware store tint your Poly for you, Any epoxy/alkoid paint.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Wed May 22, 2013 2:25 pm

This thread might get more response if you specify what kind of board are we talking about!
What kind of material is it made of, at least the surface you are going to paint.
After all, the procedure pretty much depends on board surface. Second it would be good to know what kind of finish are you aiming to achieve. Painting it completely, paint graphics + clear coat or just clearcoat.

JaZone
Medium Poster

Postby JaZone » Sun May 26, 2013 9:45 pm

zob wrote:This thread might get more response if you specify what kind of board are we talking about!
What kind of material is it made of, at least the surface you are going to paint.
After all, the procedure pretty much depends on board surface. Second it would be good to know what kind of finish are you aiming to achieve. Painting it completely, paint graphics + clear coat or just clearcoat.
this is the board I have.
http://epikoo.com/kiteboarding/cabrinha-imperial-2008

made out of PVC, fibreglass. I hadn't really thought about graphics, I just thought I'd paint it a brighter colour so I could see it easier when I fell off , lol.

I guess , paint + clear coat would be my answer to your question.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:35 am

JaZone wrote:
frankm1960 wrote:

so, did you still put a clear coat on it? Did you put any wax on it?

any pointers you could offer as to prepping , or technique?
Got any photos of the board?

I've been looking around , but I haven't found any good tutorials on how to paint a board so it will last in the salt water. I might look in some boating forums.
No coating needed and I didn't put a wax on it either. A decent marine paint won't need any further coating.

Your board likely has a plastic type of coating over it I'm guessing... I think mine does. If I were painting my North Jaime pro I would try an automotive paint and see if it would bond ( pick a small area under the footpad maybe, sand the spot lightly and spray a bit on. if it bonds well then I'd do the whole board. I might put a layer of automotive clear coat on top. Not sure. Wouldn't cost much or take much time. Just throwing an idea out there.

Another option I would try is marine paint ( I got lots left over from my light wind project) .. see if that bonds with the plastic... I'm not sure it would be any worse than auto paint. Same prep, pick a small area and lightly sand. If it bonds then I would use that. I'd use a small roller to apply it.

That's what I would try if I wanted to paint my TT.

JaZone
Medium Poster

Postby JaZone » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:59 pm

hey Frank ,

I ended up buying a used board while in Toronto. Happened to be the same board you have.
I just used some Krylon spraypaint. I've only had it in the water a few times so I don't know how it's going to hold up in the long run , but so far so good.

I uploaded some photos.

the photos are kinda crappy since I took them with my phone, and I still have to get/make a new handle for it.

Return to “Gear Builders”