Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

which sewing machine to buy

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: which sewing machine to buy

Postby marlboroughman » Mon May 20, 2013 8:07 pm

Wrong, the portable ones don't have triple step zig-zag,and are only 6mm stitch width, and are over a grand. The only one there suitable for kites is a Durkopp Adler 525i they don't even list the price because it is $5000 negotiable downward. Like I said if you want to drop $1000 on industrial one I will help you find one. Just let me know.

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby southflorida » Mon May 20, 2013 8:57 pm

I found a used Singer Merritt 2404 on Craigs list a couple years ago for a mere $50. It is built very strong, and has the 3-step zig-zag, which is required for canopy repairs. I've also been able to re-close leading edges with it. For any canopy fixes, no problem at all. For leading edges, yes, but you'll need practice.

I was able to repair a 16m Havoc right down the middle from leading to trailing edge, so a lot of kite can be jammed into the area under the arm. Stitch length and width of zig-zag fully adjustable. Width of zig-zag on this machine is at most 6mm, which is the same as what I have most of my kites from the factory.

This machine will handle V30, V46 and V69 bonded polyester threads. No way will it do V92, but no kite I've ever seen has V92 anywhere on it.
Merritt 2404 010_thumb.jpg
Merritt 2404 010_thumb.jpg (15.16 KiB) Viewed 2564 times

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 pm

That is a beauty never mind the colour :lol: Looks old enough to run on metal parts. Stay away from plastic gears. 6mm stitch width for home machines is max. I have industrial that does 8mm which is optimum for conopy. With mine I can make a kite from scratch.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 pm

southflorida wrote:I found a used Singer Merritt 2404 on Craigs list a couple years ago for a mere $50.

sweet!

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks

Postby southflorida » Mon May 20, 2013 11:33 pm

I just read somewhere that the Singer Merritt 2404 has nylon or plastic gears.

That sent me looking, and others out in the blogosphere say to stay away from such machines.

I've found that for light duty, it isn't an issue. In fact, I didn't know I had this so-called inferior product until I went looking after it was mentioned here to find a machine with metal gears.

Conclusion: metal is probably better for heavy use, but for my use, which is occasional kite repair, I can't see it making a difference. That is, until I destroy a gear - but parts are available for that machine.

So, for $50 for the 2404, I still think it was a steal.

PS - for the 3-step zig-zag, you need the disc to do that pattern. Mine came with 20+ disks. I've used exactly 2 discs in two years: the zig-zag and the straight stitch

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue May 21, 2013 1:13 am

The Singer looks pretty good. My only concern is that the arm is a little short. The biggest problem I have had sewing stuff is working out how to position the work so I can sew it. Most things will sew fine if you can position it neatly. If it's scrunched up you end up with sideways tension and crooked sewing and broken needles.

I bought my missus a high end quilting sewing machine. She is very happy with it and I get to repair stuff on a $2000 sewing machine. Happy wife, happy life. :wink:

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 1:44 am

I picked up a Pfaff 360 for $150 with accessories. Metal gears and well recommended, but, I need more time on it before posting a well informed opinion.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 21, 2013 2:10 am

Jackpot never sell that machine it will serve 3 generations of kiters. :D

jplmain
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kailua
Style: freeride, surf
Gear: OR rise 15, RPM 10 8, griffin 13.5 argo, Kites
Mako King, 5-10" best board, 143-44 cabrina tt.

Postby jplmain » Tue May 21, 2013 8:39 am

Singer 401A all metal, check you local craigslist first. Ebay has tons of parts. Not more than $50 to 100 locally.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Wow, another timeless piece. Now when you get one of these old machines and have no experience one word of advise: you know what the say about the old bikes: it is all in carburetor.....well here it is all in the bobbin. You have to find right amount of tension from the bottom (bobbin) and from the top. The top is usually understood. There is one correct way to put the bobbin in it's case and that is that the thread goes against the groove. If you put it incorrectly so it flows with the direction of the groove you will never find the correct tension. A lot of machines are sold next to nothing because of luck of understanding how to set the tension. These old German machines never go bad. You might get one stuck from deteriorated sometimes wrong lubricant. All you do is wash all gears with karosene just like bike chain, and put some fresh machine oil and voila.

Return to “Kitesurfing”