Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing Florida! Where to go?

Postby gvironda » Mon May 20, 2013 11:27 am

Hi guys
I may go to Florida in late December - early January
Any place to suggest where to go kiteboarding?
Ideally a resort / small house where my family could have fun and I could kite on the beach front
I understand I should fine decent wind in that periodm correct?
Thanks a lot for your help
Beppe

Rbgar
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: nude-
Style: Smooth
Gear: Everything
Brand Affiliation: Self sponsored team rider

Re: Kitesurfing Florida! Where to go?

Postby Rbgar » Mon May 20, 2013 12:08 pm

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best

Postby jats2k9 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:44 pm

check out in the keys. Can't tell you exactly where to stay but sure there are some around and perfect flat water plus the best winds you could find in south florida.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon May 20, 2013 7:07 pm

The wind dies out around the middle of december through January, so I would try to plan on going a little sooner or a little later than that. You might still get some great sessions but it depends on the cold fronts coming down from the north, and right in between seasons there it isn't as consistent. I've had my best sessions in October/November, and February/March.

Where you go depends on what conditions you want. If you want flat water, you can go to either Miami (Crandon Park - requires IKO card, lots of rules/restrictions) or the Keys (tons of spots, my favorites are Islamorada (Anne's Beach) and Bahia Honda). There are a lot of campsites in the Keys, if that's what you're into and you want to save some money.

There are also many great flat water spots on the west coast. The Tampa area has a ton of spots on the peninsula so you'll always be able to ride any wind direction. The west coast wind seems a little less consistent than east coast, but I think the conditions are way better for freestyle.

If you want waves, Jupiter is about as far south as you want to go. Cocoa Beach is a fantastic area for kiting since you have perfect waves on one side, and the 520 slick for butter flat water on the other side.

Wetsuits - depends so much on the spot and the wind, but I start wearing my 3/2 full suit around that time on the east coast. We have the gulf stream that keeps the water warm, so I've never needed anything more than that. Some guys got away with just a shorty all winter but they are a lot....larger... than me. The west coast is a bit colder since there's no gulf stream.

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North

Postby gvironda » Mon May 20, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks all guys! Very helpful!

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks

Postby southflorida » Tue May 21, 2013 12:36 am

Look up Chesapeake Beach Resort in the FL keys, it is right next to Whale Harbor, and I've seen people (presumably guests) launching right from that property. Call them to confirm if allowed. You'll have the huge Islamorada flats right at your door step. If you find it on google earth, just go right down the line in the SW direction and find other resorts on the ocean side of the island.

There are some really high end places like The Moorings Village where Cabrinha did their annual sales meeting one year (photos were published on this forum), so I know they'll allow kiting, but maybe only if you rent a block of rooms! hahahahaha

In the opposite direction towards the East, you'll find a place called Coconut Cove Resort, again, right in front of huge Islamorada flats. I'm pretty sure they allow kiting there - confirm before reserving.

All these Islamorada, FL locations are good in anything from an ENE, E, SE, S, SW to WSW. Anything else and it won't work. NE won't work, you have to wait for the wind to turn more east, usually a day.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue May 21, 2013 1:28 am

dyyylan wrote: Cocoa Beach is a fantastic area for kiting since you have perfect waves on one side, and the 520 slick for butter flat water on the other side.
:thumb: :surf: :sun:

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/cocoa_beach
Last edited by SupaEZ on Tue May 21, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue May 21, 2013 2:09 am

There are lots of options in Florida around that time. Checkout the top two stickie posts at http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=89 Depending on what is blowing through you may have good wind or not so it is good to line up other options through your selection of venue.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 am

gvironda wrote:Hi guys
I may go to Florida in late December - early January
Any place to suggest where to go kiteboarding?
Ideally a resort / small house where my family could have fun and I could kite on the beach front
I understand I should fine decent wind in that periodm correct?
Thanks a lot for your help
Beppe
If you are coming to the keys, give us a call or an email and we can give you tons of info on the area. As for what has been said so far. Chesapeake Beach Resort has a very small area to launch and is only accessible if you are a guest. There is no beach at all at Coconut Cove Resort so that won't be doable at all unless you can drift launch off a dock. Resorts with kiting in mind are Post Card Inn, The Islander, The Moorings $, Cheeka Lodge $$ and Metacumbe Resort. The 2 top spots to ride in Islamorada are Whale Harbor and Anne's Beach. Plenty of other beaches to the south and launches throughout the keys but none north of Whale Harbor. Our windy season starts in November and runs through May or so. On an east wind the downwinders are epic. Plenty of flat water but no waves.

oTHEerside Boardsports
www.othersideboardsports.com
(305)853-9728

When there is no wind, visit the cable park on Grassy Key 25 miles south of Islamorada.

Soli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 61 kg / 135 lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:48 pm

Hi there, I'm actually interested in the same info about where to kite in the East Coast of S. Florida, but no resort preference, just me :)

I'll be in town till mid December with no gear. So I'm interested in a kite spot that would rent out the full gear (kite, board, harness).

Preferribly flat water, no waves.

I know the Keys are a good option, but not sure I'll have the time to get there. Anywhere from Key Biscayne to West Palm Beach would be fine (approximately).

I know some spots apply tons of restrictions. I've never Kited in Florida and know no spots whatsoever, so not sure those places are the best option for me.
A spot where experimented locals go, who know.the area well would be great, in case I need to ask some questions :)

I've been kiting for 9 months and am not an advanced kiter (yet)...

Thanks in advance for any info!

Return to “Kitesurfing”