Forum for kitesurfers
Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: which sewing machine to buy

Postby Hansen Design » Tue May 21, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi edt:
There are a bunch of older all-metal Japanese Zig-Zag machines made under various labels (like Kenmore) that work really well for kite and light sail repair. I've picked up several of them at garage sales and CL for well under $100. They are pretty common and a distinguishing feature is the end-mounted bobbin in line with the machine's major axis that moves back and forth with the needle bar. Some are more elegant/versatile than others depending on year and the requirements of the brand they were made for. These machines are pretty bomber for a portable/home machine. I have a Reed's Sailmaker which is from this design. Here is a pick of a very cool Morse which is also fairly representative of these machines I found at an estate sale for $50. If you want to go to a more robust but still portable machine you cannot beat a Pfaff 130 or Adler 89 but they are harder to find and more expensive. Another step up is an industrial table-mounted machine like an old Singer 107 or Consew or Juki. At the top of that route is a Bernina 217, Pfaff 138 or Adler which are rare and expensive but well worth it. I think there is a Bernina 217 on EBay right now for $1950 but they can be found for around $750-$1000 if you keep an eye out. These machines are the absolute ultimate. For heavy duty harness repair, an Adler walking foot is the one to have. Sewing machines are cool and a good one is worth it's weight when it does the job without fail. Good luck in your search! :thumb:
IMG_3822.JPG

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue May 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Hansen Aerosports wrote: ...

At the top of that route is a Bernina 217, Pfaff 138 or Adler which are rare and expensive but well worth it.

YEP -- those three are the TOP of the food-chain !!

I have an old 1940 model Singer that i found in a dumpster ; it's heavy
and and made of all metal, and works as well as my $1500 computerized
Janome.

SO the First thing to try is to post a "WANT Add", ( for a sewing machine), on
Craigslist ; you might get Lucky !! Next up is garage-sales and swap-meets.

Bille

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 21, 2013 6:47 pm

I don't mind doing harness repair with an awl, it never takes me more than half an hour to sew on new straps. It's doing patches by hand that is wearing out my fingers. Hansen I noticed the singer 401A is not on your list is it too cheap?

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Hansen Design » Tue May 21, 2013 7:23 pm

edt:
The reviews on it are pretty positive and it looks to be a versatile well-made machine. I wonder about the horizontal bobbin and the slant needle configuration but not qualified to comment since I've never seen/used one. Plenty of them for sale and not too expensive. If you get one, let us know your results! :thumb:
edt wrote:Hansen I noticed the singer 401A is not on your list is it too cheap?

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Hansen Aerosports wrote: At the top of that route is a Bernina 217, Pfaff 138 or Adler which are rare and expensive but well worth it. I think there is a Bernina 217 on EBay right now for $1950 but they can be found for around $750-$1000 if you keep an eye out.
This is what I got baby Bernina 217 with the cam. The cam is very important add on because it makes triple stitch posible that's why you see $1000 dollars price differences. Don't get sucked in into the no cam deal because someone says you can find one later and add it on. The cams are impossible to find trust me. Now, Pfaff 138 is more for sail repairs as it is a medium to heavy duty and no triple step zig-zag. Still one day I might get one just to work on leading edge and struts. Is it still kite forum or church ladies sewing club? :lol:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 21, 2013 9:06 pm

A kite is nothing more than a big dress in the sky held together with zig zag triple and some fancy fabric. Why wouldn't we sew?

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 21, 2013 9:15 pm

If you live in a place where you can get away with something like Naish Trip 10m might as well pull up your sleeves and make one. Why not? Making a strutless kite is on my to do list. I am just waiting for someone destroying it so I can keep it as a pattern.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:07 pm

In addition to Bernina 217 w/cam I had to buy Juki LU-563 walking foot!!! to be able to do a good job on the new webbing closing seam, infestation of the market. I am dumbfounded why the industry is going for it because it is only adding weight but if you want to close LE properly with the webbing overlapping you have to get medium to heavy duty walking foot sewing machine. So basically if you have a kite with the webbing LE closure, any work involving opening of the LE should be given to the pros who have upgraded their machine park. Incidentally the best LE's out there do not have the stupid webbing eg. Ozone, Core. I know Ozone had the problem but it was related to not taping of Dacron, other than that their LE is rock solid, just saying.
Last edited by marlboroughman on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Never spotted this topic before. I use the Pfaff 1222. Nice with stepping foot and triple zigzag. It used to serve me well. Nowadays is a pain in the %$#%& since I seem not to be able to get the tension of top and bottom thread right....

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm

Peert wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:38 pm
Nowadays is a pain in the %$#%& since I seem not to be able to get the tension of top and bottom thread right....
You have to start with installing the bobbin in the case the right way. The thread has to go against the groove and NOT turn with the direction of the groove. This is the biggest and simplest mistake that people make.

Return to “Kitesurfing”