a good kite for light wind?

Forum for kitesurfers
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: a good kite for light wind?

Postby cglazier » Wed May 22, 2013 4:44 am

Some of the top kites for light wind are the Ozone Edge and North Dyno... just check the light wind racing results from Egypt. I expect others like from Naish may be very good but haven't been in serious competition yet. Kites like the Flysurfer Speed work but are slow to maneuver.

But many people don't understand that buying a big kite is wasting your money if you don't have a big board. Light wind boards are cheaper and give you more bang for your buck. Get a race board or a door type light wind board. Even a surf board is a bit better than a twin tip but not by much. And just a bigger regular twin tip is of little value (too much rocker).

A good light wind board will enhance your light wind capabilities tremendously. DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING A BIG KITE UNTIL YOU HAVE A LIGHT WIND BOARD!

:wink: CG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed May 22, 2013 6:13 am

Exactly - could not have said it better myself nor more precise Chris.

Agree 100%

- Peter

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Wed May 22, 2013 6:21 am

Spot on above, great advice.

Remember the power of the wind at 20 knots is 4 times less than at 10 knots although you have only double the wind speed. There is not much power going over even a large canopy.

Hence you need efficiency in the board to generate speed which provides speed in the kite above and beyond the speed of the wind, generating more power per say...mixing up terms but you know what I mean...

Light wind is subjective as light wind to me is anything below 15/16 knots. There is a 11-15 knot bracket I feel and then less than 11 knots..give or take given the type of wind, cold or hot.

Hence when you say light wind I think you need to talk in terms of those two brackets and ask yourself what I actually mean by light winds, what is your target.

Then the argument can become more focussed on kites and boards, given a riders weight and skill level in term of that definition.

Board selection is crucial as there can be a lot of money in a large canopy giving back a small return if you employ an ineeficient board.

Me I have messed around with so many 12's and 14's and even at 75kg, I'm done. it s a 17m for me, with a couple of TT's and a skim board. I want a lot of power even between 13 and 16...done with stuffing about milking the last drop out of smaller kites. That's me anyway.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Wed May 22, 2013 6:34 am

Westozzy wrote:Spot on above, great advice.

Remember the power of the wind at 20 knots is 4 times less than at 10 knots although you have only double the wind speed.
...would probably avoid this guys advice!

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed May 22, 2013 1:39 pm

I seem to remember this being hashed over in another thread - I think the epic infinity2 was able to get going in 4 knots.Maybe by now it might be lower though.Crowned best low-wind kite

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 pm

pj sofine wrote:I seem to remember this being hashed over in another thread - I think the epic infinity2 was able to get going in 4 knots.Maybe by now it might be lower though.Crowned best low-wind kite
The accuracy of the claims surround the Epic brand are highly questionable in my opinion. If you really want to get out in light winds you should consider going down the route of getting a Sector (or similar directional board) with a large 16m+ high aspect kite (like a Dyno, crossbow).

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Wed May 22, 2013 2:14 pm

Or have a look at the strutless kite thread. BRM Cloud 17m plus North Nugget goes very well for me (75kg) in already sub 10 knots .

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed May 22, 2013 2:24 pm

UKSurf wrote:
pj sofine wrote:I seem to remember this being hashed over in another thread - I think the epic infinity2 was able to get going in 4 knots.Maybe by now it might be lower though.Crowned best low-wind kite
The accuracy of the claims surround the Epic brand are highly questionable in my opinion.
:thumb: :lol: :wink: :rollgrin: :cheers: :clap: :claps: :dance: :cooltext: :coolshades: :bravo:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed May 22, 2013 6:15 pm

in regards to board size, you have to understand what a light wind board will get you. On a small board in light wind with a small kite you can not get up to planing speed, or even if you do get up, the moment you start to turn upwind, you fall back into the water.

What a light wind board allows you to do is get on a plane quicker, and then sustain a plane with less energy. So you get up in light wind, and after a while you start to generate a bit of apparent wind. With this apparent wind you can then point upwind.

Notice that all this takes time. You need time to get up on a plane, time to generate speed, then time to start back upwind.

If you are doing wave riding, cruising or a down winder, than all this is fine.

But if you are doing tricks and jumps on a light wind board, every time you boost or pop you eat up all that energy. Then you have to start from scratch.

You don't gain something from nothing here by going with a lightwind board. You gain the ability to ride, but it's a type of riding that depends on apparent wind and is not conducive to throwing tricks. You can get zooming on a race board in light wind. But every time you lose speed, perhaps in a transition you have to start all over again and build up speed.

Anyway, that's why I have mostly given up on light wind boards. I like to ride with as much square meters of kite as I can put in the sky on a light wind day. So what if it turns slow, you can have a kite that turns really fast but you on your light wind board still have to dink around waiting to build up apparent wind, while a large kite will actually let you transition quicker.

Anyway think about the type of riding you are doing and let it guide you in your kite and board choice. A large board is a good choice for many people, but not everyone.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed May 22, 2013 7:13 pm

[quote="UKSurf" "SupaEz"]The accuracy of the claims surround the Epic brand are highly questionable in my opinion. If you really want to get out in light winds you should consider getting a Sector directional board, with a large 16m+ high aspect kite (like a Dyno, Crossbow).[/quote]I beg to differ.
I am completely convinced, that the light wind claims of every single kiteboarding company, has always and forever been totally and perfectly accurate.
Every kiteboarding catalog, every ad, every website always provide completely believable information, never does the adspeak overstate anything.
I believe that Kelloggs Special K will make me super thin and healthy.
I believe the very fit and gorgeous people in the beer ads, guzzle gallons of Budweiser every weekend.
I believe the Jack Daniels and Smirnoff companies want me to drink responsibly.
I believe that the kites that UKSurf and SupaEZ fly are the best there is, and that everyone should believe that their choices are correct.. for everyone, ..without question.
I think that a large 16+ high aspect kite will relaunch just awesomely in 7 knots.
I think everyone will love the feel of a Sector, especially kiters that like to do unhooked tricks, or kiters that enjoy doing strapless surface passes.
I do not believe there are five different types of lightwind boards that each has it's own particular fun attributes.
I think there is no way that there could be several types of lightwind kites that each make a different type of kiter happy.
I have absolutely no ax to grind or agenda to attend to..and neither do UKSurf or SupaEZ. :lol:
I also have large shares in the Brooklyn Bridge on sale this week only!!!!!! :thumb:
Please PM me if you would like to buy a share.
You two girls are hilarious ..get over it already.

Return to “Kitesurfing”