MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)
Has thanked: 0

Re: Monk Forever...is forever??

Postby MikeBirt » Wed May 22, 2013 11:25 am

alexeyga wrote:I'm ~200lbs
It is true that the original Monk was favoured by the lighter riders and that the control / chop handling at speed it offered was less relevant to the heavy (er) weight. The Monk Forever was tuned to give more bottom end and retain the same top end control, especially in the new 134x42 and 136x44 sizes, and it definitely shows in the sales figures.. A lot more 90kg+ (200lbs+) riders championing 134 and 136 Monk Forevers than we saw on the original model.

That said, I still think, of all the shinn boards the 135x44 Dundee is one of the heavyweight's favourites, and now we have he Speedball W18, I think the goalposts will shift.
The W18 feels arguably the same size as a 42 wide board, yet has a great deal more low end, akin to a 46. It's very lively, agile and a hugely practical solution for 200lbs (90kg+).

and here is a copy o f the Monk Test..

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed May 22, 2013 1:56 pm

ronnie wrote: That sounds like you were on the 2011 Monk which came in 135 by either 44 or 42 cm. It wasn't great at early planing and best ridden powered.

The Monk Forever is 136 by 44 or 134 by 42 or 132 by 41 cm and was tweaked to (I read) give earlier planing and better upwind without losing anything.

I have the 2011 and you wouldn't get excited over its low end.
Sorry, can't tell you more than I already have. I just spotted the board in hands my buddy and I've asked him if I can grab it for a short test-ride.
MikeBirt wrote: That said, I still think, of all the shinn boards the 135x44 Dundee is one of the heavyweight's favourites, and now we have he Speedball W18, I think the goalposts will shift.
The W18 feels arguably the same size as a 42 wide board, yet has a great deal more low end, akin to a 46. It's very lively, agile and a hugely practical solution for 200lbs (90kg+).
Incidentally, the Dundee is the next board on my list of boards to try along with 2013 Laluz and Nobil 2HD. Not easy to demo boards when you live in a no-wind $hit-hole. Not that I was looking for a new board, but with so many people around praising these Shinns - one can't help getting a certain itch... :lol:

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Wed May 22, 2013 4:06 pm

alexeyga wrote:one can't help getting a certain itch... :lol:
:naughty:

Well if you struggle with marginal winds, I strongly recommend you try a speedball W18. You only need a bit of apparent wind and the thing goes like a slippery stabbed rat... It's un-naturally efficient and lively for it's dimensions, and if you weigh over 85kg then you will not top out it's full power grip level.
The 44 Dundee is a great board for powered heavyweights - a weapon of choice, but I know a heavy rider here, a year into the Dundee 44 who's just ordered a W18 to compliment his Dundee after an extended 2 week demo. I have a feeling that if I asked him to choose between the two he would side in favour of the W18. Even for me at 78kg / 170lbs (not that I ever use over 42cm) it makes the big super planer twins look like tech from 10 years ago... Is a fun answer for 200lbs + with massive range, tiny feel and very impressive carving...

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Wed May 22, 2013 4:09 pm

....and for all you technically minded folk, here is a good light hearted attempt in explaining why the Speedball is not quite normal!

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed May 22, 2013 4:50 pm

MikeBirt wrote:
Well if you struggle with marginal winds...
Do I? :lol: My 133X41 Riva L actually has a surprisingly good low-end, must be due to an almost square profile:

I actually used to have a North Phantom 146 for light winds, but I've unload it after our last trip to Cuba where the Phantom only proved no more than a knot or two better than the Riva. By the time I can't ride with the Riva and my biggest kite, it's hardly worth going out anyways.

Will take the Speedball for a spin when I'll get a chance as well, but the reviews I've seen so far aren't very positive, at least not from the "holly-do-it-all-grail-board" point of view.

Frankie
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Frankie » Thu May 23, 2013 5:14 pm

MikeBirt wrote:
alexeyga wrote:I'm ~200lbs
It is true that the original Monk was favoured by the lighter riders and that the control / chop handling at speed it offered was less relevant to the heavy (er) weight. The Monk Forever was tuned to give more bottom end and retain the same top end control, especially in the new 134x42 and 136x44 sizes, and it definitely shows in the sales figures.. A lot more 90kg+ (200lbs+) riders championing 134 and 136 Monk Forevers than we saw on the original model.

That said, I still think, of all the shinn boards the 135x44 Dundee is one of the heavyweight's favourites, and now we have he Speedball W18, I think the goalposts will shift.

and here is a copy o f the Monk Test..
So at 80kg would you reccomend the 134x42 mike?

Return to “Kitesurfing”