Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strap or strapless surfboard- that is the question

Forum for kitesurfers
woodpecker
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Kite beach Mauritius
Style: wave
Gear: rrd obsesson 12m (2008) 9m (2011) - jimmy lewis 6.1 (timeless) - north whip 5.8 (2013) - twin shinn 132x40 (2008)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Strap or strapless surfboard- that is the question

Postby woodpecker » Fri May 24, 2013 11:52 pm

Would appreciate feedback on which board I should use with and which one without straps.

I have a Jimmy Lewis 6.2x18.25x2.25 (27 liters) and a North Whip 5.8x18.375x2.2 (24 liters), and I am looking to use one strapped and the other strapless.

Started using the JL with straps and works great as a light wind board, almost like a race board; but also very easy in strong winds.

The North is not as floaty in light winds and seems too wide for strong winds. But on the other hand is more playfull on the waves and strapless seems to be the way to go.

I am trying the reverse for the next couple of rides and see what happens. But does not seem like an obvious answer; as the smaller board should be better for strong winds in which I would add straps and the floaty JL for light winds without straps. MMM maybe....

Any thoughts?

Thanks, WP

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Strap or strapless surfboard- that is the question

Postby tautologies » Sat May 25, 2013 2:53 am

well it is not strapped or strapless. You can do both :- )

...and I think that is what you will discover. Sometimes the straps are awesome, sometimes strapless is better...it just depends on what you want to do that day.

jan_hou
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Penghu, Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Penghu, Taiwan

Postby jan_hou » Sat May 25, 2013 5:42 am

If I were you, I will definitely try taking out the straps from the JL 6'2". I have two JL borads, 5'11" and 5'7" (both Kwad). I ride both boards strapless and I love them very much. After I rode them the first time without straps, I never bother put the straps on them. I can ride both boards strapless from 15 knot to 40 knot, no problems. I am 70KG.

Jan

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat May 25, 2013 6:35 am

yea, everybody is going to have their own answer for this and the best is to try both boards both ways for a while and see which way you prefer for now, knowing it might change over time.

seems to me, since you asked, the JL is too long for straps to have your feet in the right place most of the time and
the Whip is a bit too wide for straps
so you will probably prefer them both without
but again, try them and see

if you really want to ride straps, powered and hard, smaller and narrower board than either of those
IMO

woodpecker
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Kite beach Mauritius
Style: wave
Gear: rrd obsesson 12m (2008) 9m (2011) - jimmy lewis 6.1 (timeless) - north whip 5.8 (2013) - twin shinn 132x40 (2008)

Postby woodpecker » Sat May 25, 2013 9:44 am

Thanks for your useful comments - except for "you can do both" which does not add much. True the JL probably too big for straps as you would need to move weight around more. I already have found them restrictive on this board for that reason. I think the north may be good for powered up riding also as it is light and could jump well. Thanks again. Let the wind be with you.....
:jump:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat May 25, 2013 10:37 am

woodpecker wrote:Thanks for your useful comments - except for "you can do both" which does not add more
Well if you just want someone to tell what to do then ask your girlfriend / wife..point is there are no rules.

Return to “Kitesurfing”