Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: a good kite for light wind?

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sat May 25, 2013 3:04 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Kamikuza wrote: weather station said 6 knots but it's about 20km away so take that with a grain of salt! Felt like 10 to 15 to me...
Well said :thumb:
All measuring devices should be taken with a grain of salt in light winds :coolshades:
Nothing beats an experienced human to determine how much wind speed is in their kite
:thumb: Something I wish I had thought to say when my boss tells me to take lessons out because the wind meter reached 12 mph

On a Rampage
Medium Poster

Postby On a Rampage » Sat May 25, 2013 5:48 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
coleman wrote:
On a Rampage wrote:Been on the Core 19, SS Turbine 17, Dyno 18, and Cloud 17. Kiting 15 years and ride Airush Varial X. It depends on what you want to do.

Wakestyle - hands down is the turbine.
Raceboard - kind of a tie between core, cloud and dyno.
Big air - Dyno 18
Light wind on a Spleene Door - cloud is still riding, relaunching, and flying when the others barely staying in sky.

My boards are Spleene RS 135, 2013 Sector 66, Airush Cypher 5'10", Spleene Door 159, skim.

What are your thoughts specifically in regards to the cloud coupled with a race board?
Weird...i agree with you on that...Friendly Texas & Friendly Florida :wink: need some specifics
Sorry as I don't have Internet at my house yet.

A few quick notes:
Sensor bar - I like some of its features but not enough to buy one. I like the small diameter of the bar and the depower strap is effortless but hate the release, the (yarn like) leader lines and the fact that the "Y" split is just like Cabrihna. Too far away. If you invert the lines and manage to put the bar back thru, the soft leader lines just become a mess. I believe in a universal type release. Push away is best IMO. The best ones I have seen and used so far are Airush and North.

Cloud - Pretty cool kite once you get used to looking at it. It is the squarest looking kite I have ever seen. Super low aspect! I used the 10m and 17m. I didn't get to ride the 10 but it it would relaunch in 8 knots without any problem. I could ride my Sector 66 and relaunch the 17 in 5-6 knots and stay upwind. Huge wing tips make its steering fast for a large kite. The Sector 66 isn't an all out race board and I would think a true race board would get better upwind ability. 3 people her that just ordered the 17 for summer winds. Might just get to ride a little more.

Supa : I swear from just reading your posts, you just like to here yourself talk. No matter what anyone says, you just come back with something to try and make the Core 19 be the best. Can't beat a dead horse? Of course you can, it just doesn't feel anything!

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat May 25, 2013 6:50 pm

On a Rampage wrote:
Sensor bar - I like some of its features but not enough to buy one. I like the small diameter of the bar and the depower strap is effortless but hate the release, the (yarn like) leader lines and the fact that the "Y" split is just like Cabrihna. Too far away. If you invert the lines and manage to put the bar back thru, the soft leader lines just become a mess. I believe in a universal type release. Push away is best IMO. The best ones I have seen and used so far are Airush and North.

Some of the things you said about Sensor bar are incorrect
There is no depower strap but a 4 to 1 ratio depower line with cleat
The "Y" split is not too far away only 4 meters..EZ to grab and go up it to land kite by pulling top line
Hate the release ??..it is so EZ twist to the left or to the right just like a door knob :duh:

Do you invert your lines a lot ??
Yeah push away is great .... all my other gear is North...and the Sensor twist release is just as EZ

The 52cm Sensor bar system is simply awesome IMO
I have had over 100 sessions on it with the 19m2 Riot in 8 to 18knots and zero issues....pure joy !

.......................................... :surf: :sun: .....................................................................................................

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat May 25, 2013 8:17 pm

SupaEZ wrote:Some of the things you said about Sensor bar are incorrect
The "Y" split is not too far away only 4 meters.
Hate the release ??..it is so EZ twist to the left or to the right just like a door knob :duh:
Core decided to design a product that twists, when (almost) everybody else has settled on push away release. :duh:
Twist is not simple or awesome IMO.
I agree with Rampage, that 4 meters is less than ideal for the split, closer is better IMO.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun May 26, 2013 12:00 am

Oldnbroken wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:Some of the things you said about Sensor bar are incorrect
The "Y" split is not too far away only 4 meters.
Core decided to design a product that twists, when (almost) everybody else has settled on push away release. :duh:
Twist is not simple or awesome IMO.
I agree with Rampage, that 4 meters is less than ideal for the split, closer is better IMO.
:duh:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sun May 26, 2013 12:03 am

Like a weird echo. :blabla:

fly2mark
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Diego
Favorite Beaches: Pismo
Style: twin tip, Directional
Gear: 7.5, 9.5, 13.5 Best Kahoona 2011
12m Nash cult 09
CrazyFly Allaround 2011
Crazy Shox Custom 2012
Airush SectorV2

Postby fly2mark » Sun May 26, 2013 12:29 am

I will have to put my vote on a good light wind board. I dont go anywere without my Airush Sector V60. I pair it up with a 14m kite and im off and kiting. Im 6'1 95-100kg pending on how much good beer i drink. With the kite technology changing.... The 14m turns a bit quicker to get up and plane. I have an older 17m slingshot but my 2012 and 2013 14m kites pull much better. I know a few guys in San Diego that fly the 17m north and 17m fat lady paired up with a Sector or Race type board. They are always the first.... And sometimes only guys out.

On a Rampage
Medium Poster

Postby On a Rampage » Sun May 26, 2013 12:46 am

SupaEZ wrote:
On a Rampage wrote:

Some of the things you said about Sensor bar are incorrect
There is no depower strap but a 4 to 1 ratio depower line with cleat
The "Y" split is not too far away only 4 meters..EZ to grab and go up it to land kite by pulling top line
Crazy to think that my opinion could be incorrect. I guess that makes your opinion on everything else incorrect. Depower strap/depower line, WOW! You are a tool! Once again as long as you get the last word, eh?

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Sun May 26, 2013 4:06 am

This is my impression of supaez when he is finished posting about his kite.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9jhGiIAFM

:lol:

TommyDelly
Medium Poster

Postby TommyDelly » Sun May 26, 2013 12:56 pm

coleman wrote:This is my impression of supaez when he is finished posting about his kite.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9jhGiIAFM

:lol:
ahahahhaha :rollgrin: so true :lol: SupaSMUG :thumb: :jump: :jump: :jump: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Return to “Kitesurfing”