Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for foot strap placement input on 2013 north ltd.

Forum for kitesurfers
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for foot strap placement input on 2013 north ltd

Postby cglazier » Wed May 22, 2013 3:07 am

The lack of a chicken strap (5th strap in the middle rear area) is a serious shortcoming of the board. What were they thinking? A lot of people use the chicken strap going downwind and most other race boards can accommodate one. :roll:

I guess I am still upset that my fins fit so poorly. Did anyone else have this problem or was mine just unusual. I do know that other race boards produced at the Cobra factory have Tuttle fins fitting perfectly. This picture shows how it arrived. I expected better. :(

In fairness, overall I like the way the board rides.

:wink: CG
Attachments
IMG_0383.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg (48.02 KiB) Viewed 1983 times

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed May 22, 2013 8:46 am

cglazier wrote:The lack of a chicken strap (5th strap in the middle rear area) is a serious shortcoming of the board. What were they thinking? A lot of people use the chicken strap going downwind and most other race boards can accommodate one. :roll:

I guess I am still upset that my fins fit so poorly. Did anyone else have this problem or was mine just unusual. I do know that other race boards produced at the Cobra factory have Tuttle fins fitting perfectly. This picture shows how it arrived. I expected better. :(

wow! that is bad

You can remedy this by padding the top of the fin with something like thin rope, something that gives a little, don't put anything sharp or too hard on top as it will damage the inside of the fin box.

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FrederikS » Wed May 22, 2013 10:26 am

Anyone know of a strap that can be mounted on the tuttle box holes? I would like a center strap on my 2012 North LTD as well.

wdric
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby wdric » Sat May 25, 2013 1:53 pm

cglazier wrote: I guess I am still upset that my fins fit so poorly. Did anyone else have this problem or was mine just unusual. I do know that other race boards produced at the Cobra factory have Tuttle fins fitting perfectly. This picture shows how it arrived. I expected better. :(

I am not sure this is bad quality.
Talking to some old windsurfer guys it is standard to have to trim the fins
Something that most people coming from a kite and twin tip or dingy sailing will never had to do and know nothing about, so the board and fin companies should be teaching us how to use their product.

I talked to rista after getting my fins for my new 2013 north and the recommendation was:
Cut a thin piece of plastic or aluminium can (he said mylar but who has that in their shed) about 12mm wide by about 30mm long.
Place in the back edge of the fin box as you are putting the fin in.
If you look this part of the fin box is tapered and the thicker the material the less the fin goes down into the box cavity.

Do the screws up and see how it looks
If still no good put more plastic till you get them flush or recessed a bit :wink:

While yours look a bit on the bad side I think for people that have used these types of fins for along time this sort of setup appears to be normal procedure

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cglazier » Sat May 25, 2013 5:27 pm

I am familiar with shimming Tuttle fins. I have done this for many years starting with my old Windsurfing boards. However, with the North race board I tried four layers of beer can aluminum and found them insufficient. Clearly this was too big a job for for shims.

I have since 'painted' the inside of each fin box with epoxy. It took several thin layers of epoxy with sanding between coats. I used a protractor at each step to carefully ensure the fin cant angle was 3 degrees. Now my fin boxes fit any Tuttle fin correctly.

I am still trying to think of how to add a chicken strap in the middle rear area of the board. I think I will try adhesive based 'surface mount' footstrap anchors that are made by NSI for surfboards.
..unless anyone has a better idea.

On a more positive note, the board rides really nicely. (This is the fourth race board I have owned.)

:wink: Chris Glazier
Attachments
kitesurf_padz_smfi_627_general.jpg
kitesurf_padz_smfi_627_general.jpg (7.99 KiB) Viewed 1826 times

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cglazier » Sat May 25, 2013 9:29 pm

OK, I took my own advice and put an NSI surface mount insert on the rear of the board. I replaced the front screw on the rear fin with a 3 inch (75mm) one. This allows me to mount a chicken strap. I haven't ridden it yet, but it should work.

IMG_0393 (Small).JPG
IMG_0393 (Small).JPG (71.31 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
IMG_0395 (Small).JPG
IMG_0395 (Small).JPG (71.97 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
IMG_0397 (Small).JPG
IMG_0397 (Small).JPG (57.86 KiB) Viewed 1809 times

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun May 26, 2013 12:32 pm

I had wondered if the footstraps were something which could not be changed but it seems to be allowed.

http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... pretations

I can understand mis-matching of fins when fitting someone else's fins to a board, but fitting North fins to a North board? - I'd be asking for money back or for them to fix it (by supplying fins that matched the board) if the fins didn't fit right.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:07 pm

ronnie wrote:I had wondered if the footstraps were something which could not be changed but it seems to be allowed.

http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... pretations

I can understand mis-matching of fins when fitting someone else's fins to a board, but fitting North fins to a North board? - I'd be asking for money back or for them to fix it (by supplying fins that matched the board) if the fins didn't fit right.
Adding a strap in this way is allowed by the rules as there is no actual modification of the board and it can be done my any end-user.

--
Gunnar

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Sun May 26, 2013 7:57 pm

cglazier wrote:I am familiar with shimming Tuttle fins. I have done this for many years starting with my old Windsurfing boards. However, with the North race board I tried four layers of beer can aluminum and found them insufficient. Clearly this was too big a job for for shims.

I have since 'painted' the inside of each fin box with epoxy. It took several thin layers of epoxy with sanding between coats. I used a protractor at each step to carefully ensure the fin cant angle was 3 degrees. Now my fin boxes fit any Tuttle fin correctly.

I am still trying to think of how to add a chicken strap in the middle rear area of the board. I think I will try adhesive based 'surface mount' footstrap anchors that are made by NSI for surfboards.
..unless anyone has a better idea.

On a more positive note, the board rides really nicely. (This is the fourth race board I have owned.)

:wink: Chris Glazier
Do you have a link to a webshop that sells them by any chance? would love a set :)

I have no idea what they are called, so can't even google them :D
Cheers,
Fred

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cglazier » Mon May 27, 2013 3:57 am

FrederikS wrote:Do you have a link to a webshop that sells them by any chance? would love a set :)
http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/v ... ategory=12

and thanks to Ronnie and Gunnar for clarifying the rules.. it never occurred to me that this might be a violation.

Return to “Kitesurfing”