*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 314 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: FireWire vanguard ?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:47 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:44 am
Posts: 25
Anyone tried this board ?
Very interesting shape , may even go bi-direction
With a little persuasion


{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: FireWire vanguard ?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:03 am 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 3:54 am
Posts: 56
Location: Haiku HI
I have been shaping with this concept to good results. you can see some of these on Facebook. under ipdesign.

Ian


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: FireWire vanguard ?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:53 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:55 pm
Posts: 33
Location: O'ahu
I ran into Felix a couple of months ago with Switch kites and firewire at mokuleia and he was testing one. I think they may add to the kite lineup. maybe a dedicated strapless model with just beefed up glassing. He said he loved it and was super stoked on it. I never rode it but just put it under my arms and had to say it looked like a really fun board. I will definitely demo one if they go into production. I have the 5'6 hellfire and love it. firewire construction for kiteboards is solid and great flex pattern on these things. If you go on the firewire forums, you may get a quicker answer. Not sure if those guys check this forum. Based on the outline, I think you ride the vanguard pretty short.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: FireWire vanguard ?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 5:34 pm
Posts: 659
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Was just informed that you can get any firewire board in their surfboard line custom made with the kiteboard construction minus the inserts(shaves off some significant weight). I'm also very interested in the Vanguard model and have heard good things as well, except the durability. Personally, I think the regular FST tecnology is strong enough for kiting and just look for slighty used ones on Craigs.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: FireWire vanguard ?
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:17 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:00 am
Posts: 907
Location: Paname (suburb)
Had my first kite session with the Vanguard 5.4 today.
This is the regular surf construction, we have just added a full deckpad on it to help babying the (fragile) board. Weight is 2.9 kg fully equipped (thruster fins setup).
I won't go too deep in the test report, but a few points I can highlight are:
I am 1.91m/82kg and I was wondering if the 5.4 was too short, too low volume for me. Not at all, this size suits me well (my regular surfkite is a FW Quadra-5 6.0). You just need to adapt your positioning to the shape (feet placement and stance) otherwise you can easily become unbalanced.
The board is very comfortable in choppy condition, thanks to the large concave.
On the wave, the cut back can be very quick (pivot turn), and the board is very fast down the wave.
Overall a very exciting board that you can push hard in the waves :cool2:
Conditions were side-on 20knts with lull at 15knts, 1 meter waves in average, Park 9m

Tested ans approved :thumb:

Phil
Have Fun and Ride Safe


Attachments:
DSC07374.JPG
DSC07374.JPG [ 1005.51 KIB | Viewed 6251 times ]


Last edited by Phil on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: FireWire vanguard ?
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:50 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 3:20 am
Posts: 211
If you check the Firewirekiteboard forum you'll find they are working on a kite specific model, probably have been for a few months now. There's been a lot of excitement about the potential. In choppy conditions it might be a little catchy on the nose. Lots of great reviews are coming in from people using the surf model. I'm hoping to find myself getting on one, hopefully they'll make a few different sizes.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: FireWire vanguard ?
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:40 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:00 am
Posts: 907
Location: Paname (suburb)
PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:
If you check the Firewirekiteboard forum you'll find they are working on a kite specific model, probably have been for a few months now. There's been a lot of excitement about the potential. In choppy conditions it might be a little catchy on the nose. Lots of great reviews are coming in from people using the surf model. I'm hoping to find myself getting on one, hopefully they'll make a few different sizes.

You're right, we are looking forward to receiving a kite version (size 5.4 only as far as I know). But it was good to check the potential with the surf version :cool2:
Also, I have not experienced any "nose catching" despite the choppy conditions today, thanks to Daniel Thomson for such an innovative and good shape. :thumb:

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: FireWire vanguard ?
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:10 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:43 pm
Posts: 87
Location: Denmark
Very interesting. Will the kiteboard version come with insert for straps ?

Phil wrote:
PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:
If you check the Firewirekiteboard forum you'll find they are working on a kite specific model, probably have been for a few months now. There's been a lot of excitement about the potential. In choppy conditions it might be a little catchy on the nose. Lots of great reviews are coming in from people using the surf model. I'm hoping to find myself getting on one, hopefully they'll make a few different sizes.

You're right, we are looking forward to receiving a kite version (size 5.4 only as far as I know). But it was good to check the potential with the surf version :cool2:
Also, I have not experienced any "nose catching" despite the choppy conditions today, thanks to Daniel Thomson for such an innovative and good shape. :thumb:

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: FireWire vanguard ?
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:08 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:00 am
Posts: 907
Location: Paname (suburb)
peterbjarke wrote:
Very interesting. Will the kiteboard version come with insert for straps ?

As far as I know, there will be no kite version with insert available for the Vanguard.
But FireWire is pretty flexible and very reactive to demand, so it can change as we speak :cool2:

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: FireWire vanguard ?
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:20 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:01 am
Posts: 53
Location: Australia
I have a couple of tomo boards. 5'4" and 5'2". (I'm 75kg) They are the latest hand shaped designs. I paddle the 5'4" as a thruster and am stoked with its performance in 1-6' waves. Surprisingly it goes well in the steep, hollow stuff even when it's big. The nose never catches. It's a full nose to tail concept design. Everyone that owns one comments on their speed. The board has more versatile surfing range than my regular short boards. It's my most prized board atm and I don't want to trash it kiting. I kite the 5'2". At first I found it a bit skitty or twitchy. It has a different tail design which makes it even looser. It pops in the air at the slightest opportunity. I'm playing around with putting more fin area in either a thruster or quad config, but conditions have been ordinary to gruesome here to say the least. I can see it working well once I get more used to the outline, turning speed, and dial in the fin set up. :)


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 314 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], ThickAir, wood1, Yahoo [Bot] and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group