Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Re: Epic Kites 3rd Generation. 3G II

Postby alexeyga » Mon May 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Flysurf77 wrote:Alexeyga,
I don t understand how after changing for a new buckle it was still not working??? That means that the buckle was not the issue I guess! right?
I own a school and use almost only EPIC gear for teaching, rental and myself. We have been using EPIC since the first day, 4 years ago, and teaching over 400 hours of lesson per month and never had any problem with the teeth of the plastic buckle or with the whole depower system in general!
Are you sure this is not your depower strap that got thinner somehow( stayed too long at sun, got exposed to chemicals .....)?
M.
Do you really think that I'd care to care what's the exact cause after:

1)replacing the trimmer on my buddy's bar because of the same issue
2)getting the same problem on my-own bar a month or so later
3)having ridden for 2 days in 18-35 conditions with non-working trimmer and going bananas in gusts and jumps
4)having an awesome 14-22 session despite a non-working trimmer and going bananas in gusts and jumps
5)never even hearing of such problems in over 6 years that I have been riding prior to getting an Epic bar
6)having invested in another brand's bar that just works out of the box and is just tons better all-around

Really?

Now, to make things clear, I really like Dimitri's kites - that is despite some horror stories about quality that I've heard - I'm taking my chances as at this point I don't see anything else on the market that suits my needs/level of riding any better. That being said, the bar is a total disappointment. I've made a mistake of getting the 3G bar even though I already had some experience with it and knew that it's far from being perfect . Well, I paid for my mistake - will not make the same one again. The greedy man always pays twice - right?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Mon May 27, 2013 6:10 pm

Here is some honesty also.
I always like new gear when I get it, I think most people are stoked when they buy new gear.
All bar systems just work out of the box.
The straps in question have worked fine for thousands, and for some like Flysurf77 for many, many sessions.
Very unlucky that two failed in the same place at the same time, those are some interesting odds.
Easiest thing would have been to replace the depower strap, which I think was offered.
Below the bar trimming is a choice, many do not like it, some do...I don't pull depower often and when wind ramps up quickly enough that I need it, the below bar systems are harder to use.
I've liked some of my linesets better than others, they ALL stretch, if I pay attention and swap the fronts and backs after the first month, they even out nicely, and then I can swap back after another month.
Don't care for the white lines with the flecks of red and blue color in them, lots of brands supplied those in 2010 & 2011.
Worst lineset I ever got was on a North five line bar from 2011, nice chicken loop though!
Ozone currently supplies good linesets and a great bar, nice and simple.
Best lineset I've had, came on my 2008 Ocean Rodeo bar, their bars are simple and well built.
The bar system that has broken down the fastest for me is my Switch bar, but the lineset is good.
My Blade bar and my Epic bar are almost two years older than my Switch and they're holding up much better.
My Epic kites were built as well as any kites I've owned, except for North, which are just bomber.
I have not heard a horror story about kite canopy construction and reinforcement issues from any brand in five years.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue May 28, 2013 2:49 am

Sorry Mr.alexeyga it took me so long to respond to your previous post. I was out in the water testing the new bar and the new 4G kites.
I totally understand your frustration, but again it's so hard to please every one. We sold 2063 (2010) bars and had at least 37 bars with the ends splitting. But once again, we took care of all our customers and send them new ends to replace the ones that broke.
For the 2011 & 3G bars we sold 5012 bars and never had any problems except (5) bars broke in the middle and one of these was mine. We had at least (30) depower strap go bad on customers, few "U" piece plastic clips & loops break on another company CL we were using. And as always, we did send them new ones so they can replace them. So as you can see, the percentage of breaking things on the bars is very low. But again you also have the effect of the wear and tear that comes to play.
So again I am very sorry about the experience you had with your bars.

P.S. As you probably know, nothing is indestructible and I know from experience.
Attachments
photo.JPG
Dimitri's foot.jpg
Dimitri's foot.jpg (184.06 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Dimitri's tendon.jpg
Dimitri's tendon.jpg (13.43 KiB) Viewed 1212 times

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue May 28, 2013 3:00 pm

Dimitri,
Thanks for the reply, but like I've told you before - even if you're replacing the strap under warranty, you're still charging the shipping, the cost of which to Canada is ridiculous (to say the least) - so it is kind of cost-ineffective. Especially considering that a new strap will only treat the symptoms for some time with 0%-warranty that the actual problem is solved and won't come back.

I can't speak for these living in places like Hawaii or OBX, where if you don't ride Today - there's always Tomorrow. But up here every good, windy day is priceless and I'm not planning to miss any or to get frustrated because of any single piece of my gear. As simple as that.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue May 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Dimitri M wrote: For the 2011 & 3G bars we sold 5012 bars

:cheer: :cash: :cheer: :cash:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue May 28, 2013 6:37 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Dimitri M wrote: For the 2011 & 3G bars we sold 5012 bars

:cheer: :cash: :cheer: :cash:
You sound like somebody screaming with Duct Tape over his mouth. :lol:

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windsuks » Thu May 30, 2013 10:04 am

Just got back from another awesome trip to Hatteras, this time we took a bigger group from the UK.
We had some amazing days kiting and tbh were glad of the one or two days when the winds were light so we could all recover!
The level of the group was very varied but Hatteras is one of the best places I've been too for progression...what ever your level.

Whilst there we were lucky enough (once again) to demo a whole load of Epic Kites....most of which were the new 4G proto's....thanks so much Dimitri (and Cameron)!
I'd also like to thank everyone in Kitty Hawk Kites for putting up with us kiting out front many days!!

Below is a simple vid of the trip...bring on '14

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 pm

Hello guys,
Just wanted to let you know we are done prototyping the RENEGADE (4G) 6.5/9/11/13/Infinity v3 kites, and they are into production as we speak.
So get ready Mr.Laughingman because you and your wife should be getting your quiver of RENEGADES (4G) kites by the end of June.
Attachments
_MG_7845 15.jpg
Dimitri handle passing.jpg
_MG_3756 16.jpg
_MG_7870 14.jpg
DSC_0007 10.jpg
DSC_0074 1.jpg
DSC_0029 6.jpg
DSC_0326 13.jpg
GPV_0076-6 - Version 2 1.jpg
GPV_0077-3 2.jpg
DSC_0274 9.jpg
DSC_0090 4.jpg
DSC_0006 7.jpg

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri May 31, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi Dimitri

What are the final design/color choices? I've seen so many different options I don't even know what I am buying!
Suppose it doesn't matter so much what they look like as long as they perform like the demo kites. But I am a bit curious, certainly don't want a quiver of pink kites!

Pete

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Fri May 31, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi Dimitri
What are the final design/color choices? I've seen so many different options I don't even know what I am buying!
Suppose it doesn't matter so much what they look like as long as they perform like the demo kites. But I am a bit curious, certainly don't want a quiver of pink kites!
Pete
What's wrong with PINK Pete!!!! So you know, it's my favorite color by the way.
Any way, the 4G RENEGADE (6.5 / 9 / 11m) kites will come in 6 different colors (Red/Yellow/Orange/Rasta/Blue/Magenta). Now it depends on what colors the factory is sending us. But the 13 Ltd and the INFINITY V3 comes only in one color. I will make sure you get different colors for each kites you ordered, but don't worry no PINK color for the 4G.
:thumb:
Last edited by Dimitri M on Fri May 31, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”