Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Have you ever or do you ever kite alone?

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Have you ever or do you ever kite alone?

Postby SpaceRacer » Tue May 28, 2013 5:57 am

If so, under what conditions? And if so, what extra precautions do you take? I have often but had a scare where I was facing a long swim in cold, fast moving water until another kiter went out of his way to tow me in. Now I am second guessing what used to be a common and rewarding experience. Is it dumb? Risky? Something that should be avoided like with back country skiing or rock climbing? Just wondering and interested in your thoughts.

JP

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Have you ever or do you ever kite alone?

Postby sijandy » Tue May 28, 2013 7:00 am

It's fine, majority of my sessions are alone. Don't do offshore and make sure you're confident with your self rescue and self launch/land.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Tue May 28, 2013 7:05 am

Most of my sessions are alone, 5-10 knots. Stay close to shore. Full protection gear. Helmet, impact vest, wetsuit.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Tue May 28, 2013 7:17 am

I regularly kite alone. I think the same common sense applies to kiting alone as any other time. If something goes wrong, you should never assume that another kiter/beach-goer/life-guard can or will help you. If you are really in trouble, it is probably either A.) going to involve someone risking their life to get you out of trouble or B.) happen so fast that no one can help you. In either case, you are on your own.

I'll always be happy to grab someone's board, I'll always be happy to wait around and help beginners launch and then self-launch myself, but if the wind has switched to off-shore and picked up 15 knots, I'm not going to go out after you.

Kiting with other people is more fun, and "convenience help" like grabbing your board, launching, landing, etc is great, but that is very different from real help. I'm not saying that kiting around other people doesn't come with a safety benefit, but 9 times out of 10, all they can or will do is call the coast guard/ambulance if something goes wrong.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Tue May 28, 2013 7:18 am

... you bet, plenty of times, and I love it too.

I usually go out a fair way too but always upwind of some where safe enough to land whether it is by kiting there or self rescuing, rarely in off shore conditions and if so I let the missus know or I have made a plan and let mates know.

Check your gear, especially your lines and have a good drink of water before you go, just incase.

Have fun, I know I do!

cheers,

Robbie :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:40 am

Puetz wrote:... you bet, plenty of times, and I love it too.

I usually go out a fair way too but always upwind of some where safe enough to land whether it is by kiting there or self rescuing, rarely in off shore conditions and if so I let the missus know or I have made a plan and let mates know.

Check your gear, especially your lines and have a good drink of water before you go, just incase.

Have fun, I know I do!

cheers,

Robbie :D

Good drink of water! That's not the Darwinian I know. Lol! Yeh plenty of sessions alone or just my bro and I. But been at it a while wouldn't recommend it for those only a couple do years in. Shit happens hey.

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Tue May 28, 2013 10:00 am

i kite normally on my own...due to the time i have to kite and the places i choose to kite.....i have had no problems at all......i had a long swim once - but managed to start my kite again ad get to the shoreline. I did however learn alone, also in deep water in a big lake 4,5 km x 2 km. I had a problem to get started from other people at first and to kite in shallow water (strange to see the bottom). I like to kite with others, when it fits. When you only go out with onshore - sideshore winds, and know your saftey system with your eyes closed and have a good plan if things go wrong (knife etc). i kite with a gps telephone and track every session so i know exactly where i am in case something happens.....and you can always call someone if you need to...

I feel safer kiting with other kiters or when sailing boats are around....i once had to swim to the side because there was no wind, i just played with the kite and waited for the next gust but nothing came for 20 mins, a guy from the sailing club came over and picked me up in this motorboat and took me a km up wind to my starting point....he thought i needed help.....it did save me a long walk!
the other tips is, depending on where you kite, watch the water temperature, i kite when the water is above 4 degrees and the air temp above 5 degrees, but i live in germany.....when the water is 12 degrees its like having a bath! you just have to watch that you dont get too cold if something happens......i had a swim for an hour at 8 degrees once, when my windsurf mastfoot broke off, i was left without board or sail in the water,,,a long swim and it was very cold! if you kite too close to trees and the wind goes down, you have to get the kite down quickly, self rescue technique are essential!
all in all, its no problem, just dont go over the top, loosing your board is also a big problem, i used a roll - leash and its the perfect solution, even jumping is no problem.....although i generally cruise when i am on my own and do a few smaller jumps and tricks! nothing to extreme......

hope this helps you a little bit......start first in deep water....starting your kite is often the hardist part of going alone for the most people....

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue May 28, 2013 10:41 am

Yup.

The usual water-safety standards apply—tell someone where you're going, what time you're expected back etc.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 28, 2013 10:54 am

I never kite alone. It is a question of safety. Anything can happen...

But, if you don't have a choice, you can, but be prepared for the risk.
Best would be a shallow area, or something with at least sideonshore wind.

And have a knife with you, watch weather forecasts before and the sky when out on the water for storm fronts.
Let someone know that you are out and where. Have a phone with you...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue May 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Yes and conditions are side on to side off. I don't take any extra precautions but try to not get into situations I could not get out of.

Return to “Kitesurfing”