Make your own Kite Board...

Forum for kitesurfers
Air Jordan
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Air Jordan » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:18 am

I am in the process of making my own 'Woody' kit board. It is a lot easier than you think to make, it rides better than you think and it costs around $250.AUS/$125.US or £90. I have managed to create enough rocker through bending it and applying several coates of epoxy then leaving it to set. Several other friends have already or are in the process of making one so if your ever near Kite Beach, Melbourne, Oz then look for the guys with their 'Woodys'.......!

All my love
Richie :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Air Jordan on 2002-08-13 02:21 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:27 am

Nice to hear others are getting into making their own boards. Are using balsa wood as the timber or something else?

i like to use divinicell and vinyl-ester resins.

its all about kiting, Jungles

Air Jordan
Rare Poster

Postby Air Jordan » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:41 am

I have been using marine grade 6mm ply with 2 part epoxy coating and then a final polyurethane finsh coat for UV protection. My board is not a radical design but it should work!!I have used full bore straps and cut out my own pads form a bit of old deck pad. I have used regular fins (thanks Macca) but I have seen them made also from wood (Finny the wood engineer).Its worth a go if you want a cheap board.

Cheers Snow
Richie :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Air Jordan on 2002-08-13 02:54 ]</font>

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:20 am

One of the guys I kitesurf with used to make his own boards out of plywood.... he went well on them too, far cheaper than buying a brand new kiteboard as well.

He has a couple of bought boards now but he still prefers his plywood boards in certain conditions.

I remember his first attempts at making a board he used surf blanks and resin...... they were the crappiest boards I've ever seen as they were too floaty and had no edge whatsoever. But once he used ply...... they kicked ass.

Earl of Finster
Rare Poster

Postby Earl of Finster » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:54 am

What's all this about, wooden boards !,countless specifications, in my day we use to just cut down a solid oak and ride the rapids in it's original state. Certainly kept the troops amused, while those dam Jerries gave us a break. Anyway keep it up, oh to me young again

Earl of finster

Rainer
Rare Poster

Postby Rainer » Tue Aug 13, 2002 8:32 am

I'm riding my Woody Wake since April now and I'm absolutely enthusiastic about it!!
Technical data:
length: 1,50m
width: 38cm
rocker: 3cm (flat!)
weight with fins: 3,5kg
material: 5 layers of plywood ("Okumee" resp. "Gabun")

Info about this wood on:
http://www.schiffsmodell.net/holz/dokum ... ema730.htm

Costs: 50Euro (= approx. 50$)

I used a Dutch Webpage for the instructions:
http://www.stuntkites.nl/kiteboards/vaa ... 5bouw.html
Very helpful!!

==> Keep on planing - Wood rules!!

Rainer

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 13, 2002 8:44 am

Another friend of mine (not the one who has 10 homemade boards but another dude) made a wakeboard that used plywood but was built like a model plane to improve the strength... as opposed to the sandwich design.

It worked good until it filled with water... I think the sandwich design is better unless you really know how keep leaks out... Another plus is that you get flex in the board.... My friend Tim (the one with 10 homemade boards) calls it DRC for Dynamic Rocker Control. He says it helps him in chop.... the results speak for themselves.

Anyone made a real eccentric radicial board.... I know I'll start another post....

Return to “Kitesurfing”