MHL Lift Hydrofoil Kitefoil Wobble

Forum for kitesurfers
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: MHL Lift Hydrofoil Kitefoil Wobble

Postby Hawaiis » Sat May 25, 2013 6:00 pm

So you are saying the one I just bought from you recently is an older model?

KiteTheBay
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay Area
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteTheBay » Sat May 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks for info Nick. I've been having a great time on my Lift, every day is a breakthrough day as I'm finding new riding positions, getting better at transitions... I was wondering about the wobble effects as you can see it take place out the water, but when riding, it's quite hard tell. Probably one of those performance things that will get more scrutinized later on, but for now, just get on one and get lifted!

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Thu May 30, 2013 9:46 am

Nicholas_Leason wrote:Thanks everybody for posting and starting to discuss foils! Its very cool to see everyone start to take an interest in the sport and the product and the riders will always push the development and evolution of the designs. Just wanted to add a few details to the commentary above. I designed and built it so I can tell you a little bit about where it is and where it is going.

The wobble is referred to "angle of twist" and it has to do with the rigidity of the material and length of the shaft since the deflection is a compounding quantity throughout the length. I do lay up the foils with multiple types of carbon in multiple directions. I usually cruise and have a good time, but some of the more performance athletes have commented that they wanted more stiffness. Easy solution... I doubled the quantity of carbon material on the inside of the foil and with a more robust molding procedure, made it work. The outcome.... My recent shafts are far more rigid.

I can't say that it is as rigid as an aluminum setup, but I own an aluminum setup and in my humble opinion, the benefits of composite components in terms of performance far outweigh those of the aluminum setup.

Thanks again for posting and if you have any questions, you are welcome to write me, nick@mhlcustom.com.

Peace

Dear Nick:
I just bought this setup from you this month, and you are saying your recent shafts are more rigid.
Are you saying you sent me an older version? Is the flex show in the video an acceptable product sold by your company?Or would you send me a replacement which are the more rigid ?

Mahalo

SURFFOILS
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby SURFFOILS » Thu May 30, 2013 10:14 am

Good point Hawaiis, if they've improved the product, did they send you an older model thats inferior ?
Im guessing you paid full price for the less than perfect foil ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”