Forum for kitesurfers
appel
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sri Lanka - any waves?

Postby appel » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:39 am

I am thinking of going to Sri Lanka in end of September this year. I have read about the lagoon places on the south west part of Sri Lanka, but it does not seem as there are any waves and it sounds like it is very basic place to be without many other things to do.

Anybody knows of other locations on Sri Lanka with better waves and more culture/sightseeing to do? It does not have to have wiind, as normal surfing is an alternative as well.

dobiewan
Frequent Poster

Re: Sri Lanka - any waves?

Postby dobiewan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Check this place out. The owner is a surfer from Oz. There is a wild animal sanctuary there too. Not sure what time of year they have waves, but there is definitely a surf season.
Ken
http://www.arugambayhotel.com/

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:30 pm

A friend is going there this month for wave kiting. All I know is that she's doing some kind of course and that it is an hour in the opposite direction from Arugam Bay from the airport.

Babel
Medium Poster

Postby Babel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:39 pm

Actually, there are good waves in Sri Lanka, mostly in Arugam Bay. However, to kitesurf in good waves is difficult, as there is either the wind season (westside from may-september, east oct-april) or the waves season, but never both ;)

mondy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kalpitiya Lagoon
Sri Lanka all over
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya Lagoon
Sri Lanka all over
Style: waves
Gear: Nobile Kiteboarding, Ultimate Kiteboarding, Zian Kiteboarding
Brand Affiliation: Nobile Kiteboarding, Ultimate Kiteboarding, Zian Kiteboarding

Postby mondy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:13 am

hi everyone,

i see there is a lot of confusion here, so i will try to help you get the facts straight.

Wave riding can be done in Arugam Bay, they are serious waves, definitely not for beginners. the reef is sharp and if you pass the point, there is no wind. So you have to be in control of what you are doing at ALL times. waves can be over 3 meters easily.
The best months for this are jun, jul, august. Wind side, side off, from the right. Last year we were on 7m at over 23 kts, middle of july. The wind is not guaranteed, you have to check the forecast before you leave. It is not like in Kalpitiya, where it is guaranteed. The lagoons where people kite in sri lanka are in the north-western province, not in the south west. We have stable winds here and not in the south. the distance from the airport to get to arugam bay is around 6/7 hrs (night driving). the morning you will have regular surfers on the break, in the afternoon they all disappear as the wind kicks in.

If you are into beginner waves, safe environment, kalpitiya can be done, there are a few spots. We reach them on specific trips (very short) or we visit a few during downwinders. On swell days they can be up to 3 meters and "challenging", rolling gently, ideal to learn on as there is a couple of meters water underneath, you dont cut yourself on corals. Good sets come in when you see around 15 sec period. this is not every day, but we have had excellent days!

Hope this helps you guys/gals!

cioaoaoa

Mondy

for info email me: info@rascalskiteresort.com

www.kalpitiyakitesurfing.com / www.rascalskiteresort.com

mondy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kalpitiya Lagoon
Sri Lanka all over
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya Lagoon
Sri Lanka all over
Style: waves
Gear: Nobile Kiteboarding, Ultimate Kiteboarding, Zian Kiteboarding
Brand Affiliation: Nobile Kiteboarding, Ultimate Kiteboarding, Zian Kiteboarding

Postby mondy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:37 am

appel wrote:I am thinking of going to Sri Lanka in end of September this year. .
you risk not getting any wind...it's a bit late, can't you come the first half of sept? or even better august...

Mondy

info@rascalskiteresort.com

www.rascalskiteresort.com / www.kalpitiyakitesurfing.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”