DSM
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barcelona Spain
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite in Miami from June to September ?

Postby DSM » Fri May 24, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi everyone! I am form Spain and I am going to go to Miami for work from june to september and I wonder whether it is worth to take my kites and board since I read that these are the worst mounth for wind...Please some advice will be very helpful for me!!

Good wind!

Diego

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: Kite in Miami from June to September ?

Postby dyyylan » Fri May 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Yes those are the absolute worst possible months for kiting in FL, you are lucky to be able to ride upwind 2 or 3 times per month. Bring your biggest kite and a door and you might be able to get a few sessions in unless we get lucky with a hurricane

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:07 pm

i think this hurricane season is going to be epic, i wouldn't bother with a big kite, unless you want to mow the lawn, personally i would bring a 10m for hurricanes and get a used board here for cheap then sell it when you leave

last year sandy and isaac each brought a good week of riding

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Sat May 25, 2013 2:50 am

dyyylan wrote:Yes those are the absolute worst possible months for kiting in FL, you are lucky to be able to ride upwind 2 or 3 times per month. Bring your biggest kite and a door and you might be able to get a few sessions in unless we get lucky with a hurricane
100% untrue. I logged 53 sessions last season during those months and all on an 11M kite with a 134 board. Not to mention some of the best sessions ever due to the tropical storms where the winds were 35 kts and I was lit on a 7M. Florida has plenty of wind if you know where to go and Miami and the Keys will have plenty of kiteable wind during those months.

Diego...bring your kites and thank me later.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat May 25, 2013 3:19 am

The fact is, that is the worst time of year for kiting in this area, traditionally. Anyone who has been riding here long enough will tell you that without hesitation. I am not speaking about riding in squalls which have always been around along with the guys going to the ER as a result on occasion. Some of them have become famous on here in not real positive ways for hitting buildings (several times), being lofted 1200 ft., breaking their necks, etc..

The thing is weather is changing by the year and it is hard to say just what is "normal" weather anymore. Last summer we had more than a normal quantity of rideable summer wind days without squalls although there were plenty with dangerous storms too. You can have good clean winds with some tropical systems but not with others. It depends on how things pass through the area.

What will this summer bring? I have no idea, hope no hurricane hits but time will tell. If you could bring your gear, I would in case you have the time and some good winds come through.

Checkout the archived wind records at the following link for Crandon and Biscayne more specifics for those months (pay site).
http://bit.ly/125wMUR

This is the NWS record for Fowey Light. Usually real time winds from this station are about 3 to 4 kts. higher than what you see six miles closer to shore and near the surface as opposed to 123 ft. above the water. The highs in the summer are likely in squalls but pay particular attention to the wind average dot in those months, it can be pretty light. Then there are some days when it may not be so light and still free of squalls, perhaps.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/view_climplot. ... f1&meas=ws

DSM wrote:Hi everyone! I am form Spain and I am going to go to Miami for work from june to september and I wonder whether it is worth to take my kites and board since I read that these are the worst mounth for wind...Please some advice will be very helpful for me!!

Good wind!

Diego

JaZone
Medium Poster

Postby JaZone » Tue May 28, 2013 2:00 am

RickI wrote: being lofted 1200 ft.,
WTF, I didn't think you could get that high.
Guys survive that?
What can you do if you get into a situation like that, where you're in an updraft or something and you want to come down. Do you have to just ride it out?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed May 29, 2013 2:09 am

The greatest lofting that I have heard of happened in 2005. The kiter was lofted over 100 m (330 ft.) high and 500 m (1650 ft.) downwind into the side of a mountain. He didn't survive sadly.

The 1200 ft. lofting was particularly bizarre but had been witnessed by many people including a number of experienced kiters. It was caused by a squall gust reportedly around 25 kts.. He went out into an approaching squall when others were landing before it struck. Others have made this same mistake, not all are still with us.

The best way to deal with high wind emergencies is to avoid them entirely. You need to think, use good judgement and weather planning but even this is a lot easier and less painful than using your head as a doorstop instead by ignoring obvious, proven weather hazards.

More about the 1200 ft. lofting at viewtopic.php?f=131&p=604668

donchin
Frequent Poster

Postby donchin » Fri May 31, 2013 3:05 am

Ayahuasca wrote:
dyyylan wrote:Yes those are the absolute worst possible months for kiting in FL, you are lucky to be able to ride upwind 2 or 3 times per month. Bring your biggest kite and a door and you might be able to get a few sessions in unless we get lucky with a hurricane
100% untrue. I logged 53 sessions last season during those months and all on an 11M kite with a 134 board. Not to mention some of the best sessions ever due to the tropical storms where the winds were 35 kts and I was lit on a 7M. Florida has plenty of wind if you know where to go and Miami and the Keys will have plenty of kiteable wind during those months.

Diego...bring your kites and thank me later.

Yeah right buddy. You were out 53 times on an 11m during the summer? LOL.

DSM
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barcelona Spain

Postby DSM » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies and advices! Then I think the best option could be to take my kites, harness and maybe a short wetsuit (?), and buy a cheap used board in order not to check in the sport baggage since it costs 150 usd per flight...

I have 6, 9 and 11m kites, should I carry all? If any of you have a used board to sell, please send me a message (disima2002@hotmail.com) or just to meet in the beach or to share my car to go to a far spot...

Good wind!

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:50 pm

DSM wrote:I have 6, 9 and 11m kites, should I carry all?
The answer is defenetetly NO :nono:
Believe me all you need is 1 bigger kite 13m to 19m
and hopefully you could ride in the afternoon sea breeze or before the squalls on a rented board.

Those smaller kites are only for hurricane days in Miami summer time, which are a few.
Don't count on those since they're unpredictable and besides that even when you need those small kites to use,
most likely the parks and launching areas are closed and blocked anyway and at Miami Beach face with the police.
I'm just trying to help, but do more research to see the facts yourself.

DrLW

Return to “Kitesurfing”