Forum for kitesurfers
killbill13
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

best school in aruba

Postby killbill13 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Hey, I see there are a number of kitesurfing schools in Aruba, can anyone recommend one?

Laureano
Rare Poster

Re: best school in aruba

Postby Laureano » Thu May 16, 2013 4:01 am

Hi,

I'm going to Aruba first week of June, any recommendations for schools / rescue service?

killbill13
Rare Poster

Postby killbill13 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:34 am

Bump if anyone has any feedback on these schools I'd really appreciate it

Arubakitesurfing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fishermanshut and Boca Grandi
Favorite Beaches: California Beach for waves
Style: surf style
Gear: Naish Helix and Thorn board,Global surfboard,Aboards x and z series
Brand Affiliation: Naish dealer and school.Aboards dealer and school

Postby Arubakitesurfing » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:10 pm

We can help you with any kitesurfing question you need about Aruba.
If you want qualified instructors, and friendly faces,and local staff.
And wanna have fun during your classes.
You should check www.arubakitesurfingschool.com
Attachments
image.jpg

Diego K
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isla del Ciervo
Favorite Beaches: Isla del Ciervo, Calblanque,Coche island
Style: Freeride - waves - freestyle
Gear: Cult 2009 10.5m and 7.5
Thorn 2007 129x39.5

Surfboard Sold

Postby Diego K » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:05 pm

I vote for Arubakitesurfingschool no doubt!

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby Dj A-Ron » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Also check with Fernando at Xtremewinds.com if he is still down there in Aruba. Had a great time with these guys. They'll come pick you up at your hotel and they have their own boat to follow you with

Bluedog77
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pensacola
Gear: Wainman

Postby Bluedog77 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Fernando at Xtremewinds. That is where you want to go in Aruba. I just returned from 5 days of kiting there. Here is a synopsis: 2 riders, one independant and one beginner. The beginner took lessons with Fernando, boat supported, with radio helmet, while the independent rider kited freely knowing that Fernando had my back. You want someone keeping an eye on you at the Fisherman's huts with the offshore winds. Fernando is the guy to do that. He is in the boat, following along, not too far away if s#!% goes wrong. The other kite schools at the huts had beginners drifting off to sea on their own. I saw one frantic brit over by the shipwreck, board was lost, drifting away. No support boat in sight. It eventually came, but way too late.

I then took a jump lesson with Fernando. He had me flying in no time, while keeping an eye on my almost-upwind-riding buddy. He made some tweaks in my riding style that were spot on. He is a hell of an instructor. The best thing is that he cares and wants you get better. We stayed at his apartment, and most nights we drank beers together on his sweet back porch and got essentially a free debrief/chalk-talk about the day's events. That was invaluable. He is a great host and makes you feel truly welcome. Of course, it is a business for him, but his prices were TOTALLY reasonable, and he threw in lots of freebies because he really wanted to see us advance. Which we did. He also sent us to Boca on our own and told us exactly how to kite safe there. He could have said "no, you need a lesson at Boca" as it is a difficult spot with direct onshore winds. But, he assessed our skills and sent us off to rage.

As for the other schools, I can only tell you what I saw: An instructor crash a kite into a boat; an instructor launch a kite directly into mine on the beach, schools putting people on boards that could not even fly the kite yet. The peace of mind you get in a lesson or supervised session with fernando is awesome. He keeps you safe and gets you to the next level.

He is the ONLY service I would use when I go back to Aruba. Happy to offer more details if anyone is going there. Yes, the kite spots are not great, especially for beginners. But Jesus, the wind blows, all the time, hard. If you get skunked there, then you have not been living right.

Westfinger
Rare Poster
Gear: CORE Nexus

Postby Westfinger » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:22 am

Just bumping this thread looking for more insight. The wife and I are heading down in December and want to take a few lessons. Safety is a big priority especially with offshore winds. Prefer IKO instructors, boat/jetski supported, with radio helmets if possible. Thanks

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:07 pm

Westfinger wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:22 am
Just bumping this thread looking for more insight. The wife and I are heading down in December and want to take a few lessons. Safety is a big priority especially with offshore winds. Prefer IKO instructors, boat/jetski supported, with radio helmets if possible. Thanks
safety? offshore winds?
for some reason that does *not* compute

if safety is a big priority then don't ever kite in offshore winds...
mho, go learn where the winds are from a side-onshore direction... there are many, MANY options on many, MANY other islands

Westfinger
Rare Poster
Gear: CORE Nexus

Postby Westfinger » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:58 pm

elguapo wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:07 pm
Westfinger wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:22 am
safety? offshore winds?
for some reason that does *not* compute

if safety is a big priority then don't ever kite in offshore winds...
mho, go learn where the winds are from a side-onshore direction... there are many, MANY options on many, MANY other islands
Thanks for the feedback and chuckle. That being said We’ll be there for a conference and would like to get a few sessions while we are away from the cold and snow.
Thanks again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”