Will this work as a kitepump?

Forum for kitesurfers
Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Will this work as a kitepump?

Postby Séb » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:13 pm

I have this pump and it works well. I had the on/off switch to quit after a while but simple to replace. I can pump 1-3 kites on a full charge depending on the size and brand because some valves allow more airflow with less restriction.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:13 am

How long does it take to say pump up a 17m kite to 8psi??

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:27 pm

Westozzy wrote:How long does it take to say pump up a 17m kite to 8psi??
About the same time as if you pump manually but during this time you can lay out and attach your lines and no effort so you're ready to go earlier :D

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Plus the time taken to lock the expensive electric pump in your car - if you don't lock your manual pump in the car.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Well where I kite the car is right there but yeh if ya have a walk that's a good point.

Must admit would also be a decent option on those frontal days where ya best to pack away the kite of Ronald hour while the shit passes, sometimes ya can't be bothered setting up again cause you have to pump the beast up again!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Millera74 wrote:Hi Toby,
The max pressure is 12psi. It has a digital screen and you can increase the pressure in 0.15psi increments. I think this is better than the bravo pumps. You can connect the pump to you kite and walk away.
sounds perfect, thx for the info!

Only available in that shop...anywhere in Europe as well???

Thanks
Toby

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:36 pm

While it looks like a "decent" pump, until it can pump as many kites as say the whole hatteras house gang its just not there yet. Its not like pumping a kite manually takes more than what? A couple of minutes! If your cant pump up a kite, you shouldn't be kiteboarding. How competent are you going to be when things get compromised and you have to self rescue or swim in? Its not like you gotta paddle out into the line up or anything!!!

Toughen up!

The proliferation of gadgets like... the go joe, the real leash, the pump handle extension, the electric pump are all sad signs that the kiting demographic has got a whole lotta LAME to it.

I'm all for a compressor in the truck or at the cottage or waterfront home, and I'm not against better pump designs, but I'd rather see some brains go into a pull chord pump that spins a cylinder type pump that weighs next to nothing is the size of your fist cause it has no large chamber and you can pump while standing upright a reality rather than something battery powered.

Someone with enough effort could work with this principle and pull it off.

http://www.cyclaire.co.uk/

Millera74
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone & North
Been thanked: 0

Postby Millera74 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi Toby,
Not sure if they're available in Europe, but it looks like they do ship internationally for $60 or something.

Interesting to read people's opinions on here regarding kite pumps. Not sure why anyone cares which method anyone uses to inflate their kites. And, how this relates to self-rescue is beyond me. What matters is that we all have fun doing what we're doing. I don't care whether someone wants to utilize a hand pump, electric pump, air compressor, a bike pump, or a penis pump! Whatever gets you on the water man!

kimeza
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Sherman Island
South Padre Island
Style: Holding on for dear life
Gear: North Rebel 7, 9 ,12 and a Dyno 15 when I'm desperate. I think a Neo quiver is in my future.
Been thanked: 0

Postby kimeza » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:41 pm

I like to use a coleman rechargeable inflatable mattress pump. It fills up the kite 90% and the rest you do with a hand pump (about 15 strokes). I think it was $50 at walmart and only weighs about 2 lbs. i fillednup 3 kites on one charge and had juice leftover. I still charge it b4 i go out every day.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 pm

The HTFU attitude comes from disdain for where that kite pump fits into the market. If it were a lighter better manual pump I'm all for it, but a heavier battery powered one for just me and my kites.... Gimme a break! For a group situation maybe if it has enough juice to last a day of frequent use at the beach, but not as your every day tool. It's like small compressed tanks for pumping kites. Rediculous recharge frequency and effort to be any better than a cheap pump.

For the guy that carries a wind gauge, uses a board leash on a tt and kites with their phone!

Return to “Kitesurfing”