Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What do people like about kiting in waves?

Forum for kitesurfers
Metaphor_
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What do people like about kiting in waves?

Postby Metaphor_ » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:25 am

Funny question for some people I bet - I've never been on the ocean (everywhere I've kited is sheltered and seems at most to have chop, but no real waves). I'm also a really new kiter, just having learned two sessions ago to really lean back and ride upwind, so I genuinely am curious here... What's the specific appeal of kiting in waves?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: What do people like about kiting in waves?

Postby edt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:35 am

Imagine going to a ski resort that is a symmetrical cone shaped hill with every run groomed identically and every run exactly the same, same length, no trees, no jumps, no powder, no ice, no rocks, every chair lift goes to the same place, and even every chairlift is identical.

Waves is the opposite of that.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:14 am

Waves - would be variation - shape, size and relative wind direction can make it so different, just when you think you got it down there is a whole next level to contemplate/learn about.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:52 am

For me they are just ramps...great feeling to ride fast towards it and time the jump so you have a perfect, smooth liftoff...amazing feeling!

Metaphor_
Medium Poster

Postby Metaphor_ » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:01 am

So following the ski analogy, are waves the equivalent of bumps and trees? (and perhaps park--though I guess everywhere is a bit like the park when you have a kite to lift you)

Is wave riding harder, and how long does it take people to pick it up when they're used to flatter or choppy water?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:54 am

Waves are cool. They add another dimension to kiting. They give you moving ramps to hit and boost off. Riding them is like shredding on a constantly moving half pipe. Lots of fun for lots of different riding styles.

They are dynamic which means your riding needs to be dynamic also.

When bigger they suck the water in front of them flat and you get sweet flat sections followed by sweet ramps.

Riding in waves is so much more fun than riding chop or flat water. Just try not to drop your kite or it will be eaten up.

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Postby geopeck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:05 am

and perhaps park--though I guess everywhere is a bit like the park when you have a kite to lift you
it adds another dimension to the riding - so if you were riding the flat water the kite and your momentum would be your incline (if jumping) or decline (if carving). Once you get on even small waves you overlay the carve with the kite onto the shape of the wave or park the kite and ride the wave or both together on the same wave.

There are a hundred ways to do this - throw in downloops, catching the wave from behind, jumping etc - tons of possibilities.

The thing about waves that makes them great is that your riding environment is unfolding in front of you - you have this constant read on what's happening and you make snap decisions based on second to second changes. This wave is over/I'm going to fast to engage here/the next one is better do I need to jump over this one?/I'm too far off the face for another hit but I can still downloop into the shoulder of the last one.. - it's fully engaging.

And then when it gets good (I like short period waves) I get this sensation like the waves are trying to get me and I have to dodge and jump to get past the break, but at the same time I'm attacking them with the board - the old "it thought it was going to eat me up when I went in the pocket but I smacked it on it's lip and left my line on it" Does anyone else feel this way?

It isn't really that much harder, all the time a person spends learning about them is fun, and it might open your eyes to the limitations of some of your equipment.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:16 am

ARGH... NO.... nonononno

Riding good waves well is a mystical experience. When you are on a good wave you breathe different, you think different, and you feel different. You must interact fully with the wave to make it work. I cant express it well, but I guess any surfing magazine has articles that explains why people surf.

The kite adds a lot more freedom and possibilities compared to windsurfing... and a lot more speed that just pure surfing (plus it makes crappy waves a lot more fun!)

If you have great reliable waves then just grab a surf stick, but if you live in the real world then kiting is an even better way to experience this extra dimension! Plus you get to have fun even when it's flat (a' la Toby...)

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:04 am

On a twin tip board waves are like a dynamic skate park, each wave you hit is like hitting the next randomly generated ramp so it never gets boring.

On a surf board its the closest feeling you gonna get to regular surfing except you there is no duck diving and you catch about 10x more waves that you would in a regular surfing session.

Waves are the most important of a session for me if there is wind but no swell or waves I don't bother going out.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:22 am

There are waves and there are WAVES!!!!!!

Small waves (1-3') are fun as berms and bumps and ramps.

Big waves (5-6-7+'') are ... awe inspiring, terrifying, amazing. The joy of kiting in them is it is much easier to do with a kite than other methods of surf riding and you can power in and out of them at will.

All waves are spectacularly beautiful things.

When it comes down to it, all board sports are carving sports. When you add the carve of your turn to the curve of the wave and the arc of your kite swooping you get heaven.

Return to “Kitesurfing”