Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiting in a river, Would it give better pop??

Forum for kitesurfers
elliott george
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting in a river, Would it give better pop??

Postby elliott george » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:06 pm

I just saw this guy kitesurfing in a river and it got me thinking. As pop is generated by the forward speed of the board/water flow under the board, would riding in a stream with the extra water flowing under the board increase your pop?? Has anyone tried riding in a river?

Here's the guy http://vimeo.com/67935543

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Re: Kiting in a river, Would it give better pop??

Postby pj sofine » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 am

You're thinking too much. :remybussi:

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:20 am

it does, a lot. you get a lot more pop and power on takeoff, with way less forward speed required, and then you get a lot more relief in the air than you normally would considering the kind of force on the takeoff.

problem is it is kind of weird, and things get interesting when you bail and crash the kite. we have spots like that on the columbia river in oregon (in the gorge)

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:18 am

Isn't this just the same as wind with and wind against tide? Wind with works against you, wind against works for you with the speed of the tide adding to the wind speed ie 15 knot wind against 5 knot tide = 20 knots, unfortunately works the other way round meaning 15 knots would = 10 knots.

TuckerM
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La Ventana, BCS
Squamish, BC
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Squamish
Nitinaht
Boracay
Da Hood
Style: Wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Switchblade custom 5'10
Switchblade custom 5'7 Punt

Peter Lynn POS
Brand Affiliation: Switchblade

Postby TuckerM » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:03 am

He's riding against the current so +5 knots or whatever
you definetly get more slack but I don't find I get mad pop or anything too crazy
Stephans dangling to much for it to be taken in context

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:34 am

Where I ride there are a few creeks that run out on the out going or incoming tide... When I am lit and ride through them for sure I get extra pop.

as JGTR says, dependant on the current, you can add that to your wind speed.

That guy appears to be riding in a proper river with what looks like LOADS of current. For sure it is helping him but if he was to put that kite down and something went wrong, he would go down stream very quick!

I think quite a lot of people ride in rivers but many will be estuaries that will flow both ways depending on the tide. Be careful.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:59 am

Pull from the kite, comes form the rapid change in direction of travel between kite and board. All that matters is the difference in speed between the board going forwards and how fast you send the kite. Board speed over the water in of itself has no effect on the pull generated from the kite.

However going against the flow of water will help increase the hydrodynamic lift under the board for any given speed of travel, so there's some gain to be made in that dept.

You'd likely get 'cleaner' pop from the board riding against a ten knot rip, but in reality if you were just going ten knots faster in no current you'd end up jumping higher as it's the kite that gives you the lift.

So, wind against tide, good for wakestyle- more wind, better for big air.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:08 am

JGTR wrote:Isn't this just the same as wind with and wind against tide? Wind with works against you, wind against works for you with the speed of the tide adding to the wind speed ie 15 knot wind against 5 knot tide = 20 knots, unfortunately works the other way round meaning 15 knots would = 10 knots.

Exactly !

You dont get more pop because of tide/current like on the video.

But you get more (or less) windspeed relative to the water, so if the current goes "upwind" - it is simply similar to being out on a day with more wind.
Which one could say, gives more pop ?

Although it would be much more correct to think of current as adding or subtracting the windspeed you ride in, nothing but that.

It is much easier to go upwind if upwind current though - even if the relative windspeed was the same or even a bit lower :thumb:

So when riding at wavespots with downwind current (tide typically), we usually rig more powered than usually, even when the relative windspeed is accounted for - in order to go upwind 8)

:D Peter

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 pm

i agree, it is hard to call that "more pop" exactly. but that is the feeling. he's not really dangling that much, that is pretty bad ass riding. he is going way harder than i can anyway, and i try to go pretty hard.

Return to “Kitesurfing”