Forum for kitesurfers
Metaphor_
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: kiting on old (2006) gear?

Postby Metaphor_ » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:23 am

mike, it's actually new (well, I bought it new and have pumped it up once), just old.

Sounds like as long as I replace the qr leash it's ok to ride it.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:39 am

That leash is not a wrist leash. The big loop goes around your bar pad the velcro handle is a release and it is OK.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:43 pm

The big loop goes around the spreader bar pad on your harness let me know if you understand. I don't want you to do something silly.

DirkGently
Medium Poster

Postby DirkGently » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:34 pm

That leash (if it releases under load) is actually a lot better than many on the market now with a tiny carabiner to clip onto your "handlepass" line that runs along your back.

My girlfriend uses that bar and likes it. The trigger release isn't great on the chickenloop but there is nothing wrong with that bar if the lines are in good shape.

Metaphor_
Medium Poster

Postby Metaphor_ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:33 am

yeah the chicken loop release is a really stiff lever that you have to press against with all your might, feels mushy and unpleasant, not like the new modern clicky ones that you just push away from yourself. I just bought a new kite with a modern 4 line bar, so maybe I can try it out with the old kite someday with the new bar (after I feel comfortable on the new gear).

So on this old bar, do you just put the spreader bar through the loop when you put on your harness, and let the loop hang? At what point does the velcro release? Are you supposed to try and pry it open when you're getting dragged through the water?

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:44 am

Metaphor_ wrote:yeah the chicken loop release is a really stiff lever that you have to press against with all your might, feels mushy and unpleasant, not like the new modern clicky ones that you just push away from yourself. I just bought a new kite with a modern 4 line bar, so maybe I can try it out with the old kite someday with the new bar (after I feel comfortable on the new gear).

So on this old bar, do you just put the spreader bar through the loop when you put on your harness, and let the loop hang? At what point does the velcro release? Are you supposed to try and pry it open when you're getting dragged through the water?
Why not just leave your new safety leash on your harness and use it when you try the older kite? BTW, the push away release goes on the harness end and it should be on the front or side within reach, not behind you.

Metaphor_
Medium Poster

Postby Metaphor_ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:42 pm

William Munney wrote:
Metaphor_ wrote:yeah the chicken loop release is a really stiff lever that you have to press against with all your might, feels mushy and unpleasant, not like the new modern clicky ones that you just push away from yourself. I just bought a new kite with a modern 4 line bar, so maybe I can try it out with the old kite someday with the new bar (after I feel comfortable on the new gear).

Why not just leave your new safety leash on your harness and use it when you try the older kite? BTW, the push away release goes on the harness end and it should be on the front or side within reach, not behind you.
Oh, right, duh :) I'll do that.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Metaphor_ wrote:
So on this old bar, do you just put the spreader bar through the loop when you put on your harness, and let the loop hang?
You got it
Metaphor_ wrote: At what point does the velcro release?
This a final release when you kiss your kite goodbye. 99.9% you will never use it but practice pulling by the loop to get the feel for it.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:42 am

One thing to think about before getting too far offshore on this "New" kite:
It's from 2006, so regardless of it only being pumped up once, it's very possible that the glue on those valves is dessicated and ready to delaminate upon the first real stress that they feel. I would DEFINITELY stay close to shore the first few sessions that you put on it. I recently had to completely replace EVERY valve on my '04 Naish X4's. I don't know why I even bothered, except for nostalgia, I guess. :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”