Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North 2013 light wind freeride+big airs kite: Fuse or Dyno?

Forum for kitesurfers
Michelks
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sao Sebastiao- Brazil
Favorite Beaches: tahiti, buzios
Style: freerider
Gear: crossbow 16, vegas 14,switchblade 12, crossbow 10
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North light wind freeride + airtime: Fuse vs Dyno?

Postby Michelks » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:40 pm

davesails7 wrote:I still haven't gotten a chance to try my Dyno LTD 17 (closer to 2013 Dyno than 2012 Dyno) back to back with my 2011 18m Dyno, but that quote about "needs skill" is what I'm seeing after riding the LTD a few times. You have to pay attention when it is light or its going down! I was always amazed how the 2011 would just hang in the sky on its own.

LTD is much faster turning and better relaunch without needing to use the 5th line.

Toby had said the 18m fuse low end didn't hold up to his 2011 Dynos. Did North lose the drawings for the 2011 Dyno or something? :D
I still haven't gotten a chance to try my Fuse 18, almost 3 months with the kite and nothing, I think I ´ll call Guinness for this record.
Had seessions on12 and 14 but not with 18. The only time I flew it (out of water 5-6 knots) i had this same opnion "You have to pay attention when it is light or its going down! "

I think the translated review should be accurate, the kite wake-ups in 8 to 10 knots. So my sp3 21 won´t be retired.

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Michelks wrote:
davesails7 wrote:I still haven't gotten a chance to try my Dyno LTD 17 (closer to 2013 Dyno than 2012 Dyno) back to back with my 2011 18m Dyno, but that quote about "needs skill" is what I'm seeing after riding the LTD a few times. You have to pay attention when it is light or its going down! I was always amazed how the 2011 would just hang in the sky on its own.

LTD is much faster turning and better relaunch without needing to use the 5th line.

Toby had said the 18m fuse low end didn't hold up to his 2011 Dynos. Did North lose the drawings for the 2011 Dyno or something? :D
I still haven't gotten a chance to try my Fuse 18, almost 3 months with the kite and nothing, I think I ´ll call Guinness for this record.
Had seessions on12 and 14 but not with 18. The only time I flew it (out of water 5-6 knots) i had this same opnion "You have to pay attention when it is light or its going down! "

I think the translated review should be accurate, the kite wake-ups in 8 to 10 knots. So my sp3 21 won´t be retired.
Hey dude 3 months matches my still unused 7m Rebel, glad I'm not the only one then! :-?

To be quite honest in less than 10kn I won't even bother... it's hard to keep any water kite up in the sky at 5-6kn and if they fall you can practice your self rescue skills :cool2:

I'd be more interested to know the 10-15kn performances :roll:
Last edited by mr moon on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:49 pm

mr moon wrote:I'd be more interesting to know the performances in 10-15kn 8)
Good! Then you can buy my LTD :D

I haven't tried the LTD in anything above 12 knots yet, but other reviews said it was a blast in 10-15 knots, jumping higher than 2011 18m. Both of my sessions were mostly <10 knots on raceboard.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Well still nothing.... Puertz. And yet a bucket of info on other light wind kites...soooo weird.

And babel...you could sum all of those fuse dyno comparisons in one word...aspect...and that could be applied to any kite comparison.

Puertz is looking for specific characteristics, under different conditions, different riders and their weights and board choice. The stuff that exists for most of the other light wind kites out there already. Again very strange.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:31 am

Westozzy wrote:Well still nothing....
It must be absolutely horrible. If it was awesome everyone would be bragging about how great their new Dyno is :lol: No one wants to tell you they spent $2500 on a brand new POS!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:16 am

Well that can be one conclusion drawn, but that would still be an assumption.

Toby still swears by the 2011 model...

Puertz is a big fella and needs a kite that won't deform under load. Hence why he has been on these tensioned 5th line babies for a while. Hence why he is still holding out hoping for some word on them. Also I think he is moving more into wave riding as well, hence again the questions about the fuse rather than the dyno.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:00 am

Westozzy wrote:Hence why he has been on these tensioned 5th line babies for a while. Hence why he is still holding out hoping for some word on them.
None of the Dynos have had tensioned/loaded 5th lines. The new ones only say to use a 5th line because leashing to two front lines won't work with no pulleys on the bridle. You can ride the 2013 with a bar from another manufacturer if it leashes to a single front line, same as the Cabrinha Velocity. You just can't use the North 4-line bar which leashes to two front lines.

Untensioned 5th line might still help though under extreme loading, not sure.

windfreak
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby windfreak » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:51 am

He mr . moon , with a 16 m fuse , that s where you are gonna be ,to the moon!I have a 12m fuse, i weight more than you,and it rockets me to the stratosphere!And it s about the same as a rebel so imagine a 16m fuse in 15 knots :o BUY IT LUCKY MOONKY! OR I WILL,next year maybe... :thumb:THE FREAK

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:52 am

My bad I knew that. He has some rebels as well. But he has said the Dyno (and the rebel) is one of the few kites he can't deform / invert. So maybe the fifth even if not tensioned may help? Whi knows no nice person seems to want to share their detailed riding experience. Have they become just too expensive? Are crew on the other brands now? Puertz has also asked on our local forum and nothing!!

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:14 am

... so in your opinon, does the LTD have the same power as the 18 (static power) or do you have to sine it to get what you want?

I rode the Ozone Edge 19m and it needs to be ridden fast to get the same park power as the 18m. I had to keep the Edge moving, and when ever I slowed down abit, back to sining the kite. On the other had, same wind, the 18m keeps trucking along. As an example, after a slow gybe where you bog down a little, the 18 would pull you back to speed with no real effort where as the Edge I had to sine a few times to get it to the same stage.

I suspect the 2013 Dyno and Edge are similar and I think I can conclude that the LTD would be similar also. Can you confirm or deny at all davesails7??

Have you ridden the 2012 Dyno, was it any good in your opinion?

cheers,

Robbie :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”