All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kiting in a river, Would it give better pop??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:06 pm 
Medium Poster

I just saw this guy kitesurfing in a river and it got me thinking. As pop is generated by the forward speed of the board/water flow under the board, would riding in a stream with the extra water flowing under the board increase your pop?? Has anyone tried riding in a river?

Here's the guy http://vimeo.com/67935543

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kiting in a river, Would it give better pop??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 am 
Frequent Poster

You're thinking too much. :remybussi:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:20 am 
Frequent Poster

it does, a lot. you get a lot more pop and power on takeoff, with way less forward speed required, and then you get a lot more relief in the air than you normally would considering the kind of force on the takeoff.

problem is it is kind of weird, and things get interesting when you bail and crash the kite. we have spots like that on the columbia river in oregon (in the gorge)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:18 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Isn't this just the same as wind with and wind against tide? Wind with works against you, wind against works for you with the speed of the tide adding to the wind speed ie 15 knot wind against 5 knot tide = 20 knots, unfortunately works the other way round meaning 15 knots would = 10 knots.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:03 am 
Rare Poster

He's riding against the current so +5 knots or whatever
you definetly get more slack but I don't find I get mad pop or anything too crazy
Stephans dangling to much for it to be taken in context

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Where I ride there are a few creeks that run out on the out going or incoming tide... When I am lit and ride through them for sure I get extra pop.

as JGTR says, dependant on the current, you can add that to your wind speed.

That guy appears to be riding in a proper river with what looks like LOADS of current. For sure it is helping him but if he was to put that kite down and something went wrong, he would go down stream very quick!

I think quite a lot of people ride in rivers but many will be estuaries that will flow both ways depending on the tide. Be careful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:59 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Pull from the kite, comes form the rapid change in direction of travel between kite and board. All that matters is the difference in speed between the board going forwards and how fast you send the kite. Board speed over the water in of itself has no effect on the pull generated from the kite.

However going against the flow of water will help increase the hydrodynamic lift under the board for any given speed of travel, so there's some gain to be made in that dept.

You'd likely get 'cleaner' pop from the board riding against a ten knot rip, but in reality if you were just going ten knots faster in no current you'd end up jumping higher as it's the kite that gives you the lift.

So, wind against tide, good for wakestyle- more wind, better for big air.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

JGTR wrote:
Isn't this just the same as wind with and wind against tide? Wind with works against you, wind against works for you with the speed of the tide adding to the wind speed ie 15 knot wind against 5 knot tide = 20 knots, unfortunately works the other way round meaning 15 knots would = 10 knots.

Exactly !

You dont get more pop because of tide/current like on the video.

But you get more (or less) windspeed relative to the water, so if the current goes "upwind" - it is simply similar to being out on a day with more wind.
Which one could say, gives more pop ?

Although it would be much more correct to think of current as adding or subtracting the windspeed you ride in, nothing but that.

It is much easier to go upwind if upwind current though - even if the relative windspeed was the same or even a bit lower :thumb:

So when riding at wavespots with downwind current (tide typically), we usually rig more powered than usually, even when the relative windspeed is accounted for - in order to go upwind 8)

:D Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 pm 
Frequent Poster

i agree, it is hard to call that "more pop" exactly. but that is the feeling. he's not really dangling that much, that is pretty bad ass riding. he is going way harder than i can anyway, and i try to go pretty hard.

[ 9 posts ]