Metaphor_
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: kite size for me / calculator?

Postby Metaphor_ » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:06 am

edt wrote:
Metaphor_ wrote: It'd be nice to be able to kite every other day in the summer in Ontario, if that's possible somehow.
You are absolutely obsessed with this "summer" thing. I hate it. Summer is the worst. 4 weeks of June and the first 3 weeks of July it's a giant black hole of no wind. I would trade all of summer for 1 more day of fall or spring. You are not gonna kite in 1 knot wind no matter what gear you buy.

If you like summer that much I have one suggestion:

Buy an SUP.

Lots of guys and girls around here are like you they love summer but can't kite no wind, so they get on the SUP and tell me it's fun. Also it's theoretically possible to SUP-kite with a foil kite in 2 or 3 knots, as long as you can keep the kite in the air, you don't get on a plane but you can I believe do what the windsurfers call it be "slogging". Even a raceboard needs about 8 knots to get on a plane, but a SUP has enough flotation you can just stand on it and get pulled around like a sailboat.

Not for me. I just sit at home eating cheetos watching videos of megaloops waiting for the fall.
? I loathe summer in Ontario. That's why I was hoping to be able to kite--it would make summer fun. As you know, it's often too hot to inline skate or skateboard in the summer, so it's disheartening to hear that there's no summer kiteboarding in Ontario.

Is there wind in the summer in Quebec?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: kite size for me / calculator?

Postby Starsky » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:45 pm

All the guys from Montreal find it worthwhile to make the long drive to sandbanks whenever there is a decent forcast.

Your pretty green and frothing pretty hard. Its probably only going to get worse before it gets better. The random nature of intermittent posistive reenforcement kiting delivers is a potent addiction driver.

The industry is all over it with big kites and light air claims. Simple truth is that it takes wind to have fun at a wind sport. All the cruising around on raceboards in the world, cant compare to a single windy day. Six years from now you will have gone through much of the maturation cycle of a kiter and settled into whatever aspects of it suit you best.

At that point you'll read posts asking questions like what is the appeal of waves, or wakeboarding when the answer is in the intro to the very video that prompted the question. Its all riding on water, whatever craft, whatever board, whatever terrain, its all riding. Think first, then ask questions. Do it the other way round too often and you'll get decreasing quality in your answers.

P.S. summer in Ontario can rival anywhere in the world for beauty and great outdoor fun. Find a light wind hobby or your in for dissapiontment almost anywhere. You wont kite enough to keep fit, but you can certainly ride enough to stay stoked. We manage pretty well here and people have already tried to point out how. Kiting is the most viable board sport in the great lakes region. Try not to focus so hard on the trees and you'll see there is a whole forrest out there.

Return to “Kitesurfing”