Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North 2013 light wind freeride+big airs kite: Fuse or Dyno?

Forum for kitesurfers
Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North light wind freeride + airtime: Fuse vs Dyno?

Postby Puetz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 am

Westozzy wrote:My bad I knew that. He has some rebels as well. But he has said the Dyno (and the rebel) is one of the few kites he can't deform / invert. So maybe the fifth even if not tensioned may help? Whi knows no nice person seems to want to share their detailed riding experience. Have they become just too expensive? Are crew on the other brands now? Puertz has also asked on our local forum and nothing!!
... yeah your right on the stability, I hate deforming kites and bridle ones seem to do that to me. Your right by the way, I'm heading towards more wave riding and loading up the kite isn't such a big thing for me as it used to be. I used to only want to go high and long but damaged knees and ankles are changing me.

Still, its wierd why there is a lack of details on the net re North light wind stuff, its just not as prolific as other brands??? It still makes me wonder why????

cheers,

Robbie :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:54 am

Puetz wrote:
Westozzy wrote:My bad I knew that. He has some rebels as well. But he has said the Dyno (and the rebel) is one of the few kites he can't deform / invert. So maybe the fifth even if not tensioned may help? Whi knows no nice person seems to want to share their detailed riding experience. Have they become just too expensive? Are crew on the other brands now? Puertz has also asked on our local forum and nothing!!
... yeah your right on the stability, I hate deforming kites and bridle ones seem to do that to me. Your right by the way, I'm heading towards more wave riding and loading up the kite isn't such a big thing for me as it used to be. I used to only want to go high and long but damaged knees and ankles are changing me.

Still, its wierd why there is a lack of details on the net re North light wind stuff, its just not as prolific as other brands??? It still makes me wonder why????

cheers,

Robbie :D

Yeh me too Robbie the silence is deafening. Wave riding, okay hence your focus on the fuse. Let's face it the Dyno won't work that well in the waves. So maybe you need a lower aspect kite then even more so than the Fuse; if you are not loading then why not fat lady? Or even the core. Both those kites would be better in the waves per say anyway than the fuse which is still has some aspect about it? (yeh I don't buy into the rebel/fuse in the waves thing, ridden to many kites that have shown me the true meaning of a good kite in the waves).

What about the NRG light breeze. I will tell ya man I have only ridden the 10m, but that has some aspect like the rebel/fuse (which I love, give me aspect anyday), but man did it drift! No shit, I can't put in words how bloody suprised I was and another mate of mine (11 years kiting). We both came in with puzzled looks on our face. It was boosting (Big, high aspect like) but drifting...really drifting I mean, not some pseudo higher aspect drifting where we high aspect riders try to kid ourselves...this thing was just slipping back into the slot no matter what we did!! I'm still puzzled about that baby.

And it has a real robust feel about it..not unlike the rebel/fuse canopys actually, now that I think about it.

If I wasn't so addicted to the ozone refined feel especially throught the edge, this would be the kite I would build my quiver with.

This might be an option worth exploring as I know you need some aspect up there in the shit wind capital of the Australia.
Last edited by Westozzy on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

WndRdr
Medium Poster

Postby WndRdr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:57 am

I have ridden only with Fuse 16m2 and I am waiting to get to try Dyno 17m2. For sure Dyno 15m2 would be closer to Dyno 16m2.

Fuse has significantly more bar pressure than Rebel (very light) or Evo (medium). I felt that the flying characteristics of the Fuse are a bit of a mixture between Rebel and Evo. Fuse has the option to fly/sine it to get speed faster but you feel the parked power like with Evo and much better than with Rebel. I am not sure if that is due to the shape close to Rebel but with bridles like in Evo.

Fuse 16m2 has much more power on up stroke than Rebel and Evo and I expect that Dyno has this as well as it is a race kite. This will make a big difference when trying to get on plane in light winds as you get more speed also on up stroke. This also makes the difference on jumps. It requires that you focus to keep the edge to really load the lines when the kite is flown up but then Fuse will take you straight up, high and the float is very very good.

Fuse relaunches well and better than Rebel.

As a light rider I was really suprised how well I could ride with this big kite and how well it behaves, how low and high winds I can get out and how well I can jump with it. Medium or heavier kiteboarders will get really lofty and big airs with big Fuses.

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:02 am

windfreak wrote:He mr . moon , with a 16 m fuse , that s where you are gonna be ,to the moon!I have a 12m fuse, i weight more than you,and it rockets me to the stratosphere!And it s about the same as a rebel so imagine a 16m fuse in 15 knots :o BUY IT LUCKY MOONKY! OR I WILL,next year maybe... :thumb:THE FREAK
Cheers buddy! In 15kn I can easily boost on on my 12m Rebel though 8)

I need a 16-17m for more the lower end 10-13kn...

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Postby mr moon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am

WndRdr wrote:I have ridden only with Fuse 16m2 and I am waiting to get to try Dyno 17m2. For sure Dyno 15m2 would be closer to Dyno 16m2.

Fuse has significantly more bar pressure than Rebel (very light) or Evo (medium). I felt that the flying characteristics of the Fuse are a bit of a mixture between Rebel and Evo. Fuse has the option to fly/sine it to get speed faster but you feel the parked power like with Evo and much better than with Rebel. I am not sure if that is due to the shape close to Rebel but with bridles like in Evo.

Fuse 16m2 has much more power on up stroke than Rebel and Evo and I expect that Dyno has this as well as it is a race kite. This will make a big difference when trying to get on plane in light winds as you get more speed also on up stroke. This also makes the difference on jumps. It requires that you focus to keep the edge to really load the lines when the kite is flown up but then Fuse will take you straight up, high and the float is very very good.

Fuse relaunches well and better than Rebel.

As a light rider I was really suprised how well I could ride with this big kite and how well it behaves, how low and high winds I can get out and how well I can jump with it. Medium or
heavier kiteboarders will get really lofty and big airs with big Fuses.
Hi windrdr, you've made a good point here... to boost high we need SPEED... hence in light winds we also need a FAST kite other than just a high boosting kite. With this view the Dyno will get better speed than anything else, I just wonder how it will fly... :-?

I've been riding a 15mt Wainman Big Mama which I'm not too fond of. The kite back stalls, doesn't take any gusts and drifts fast downwind.. This is I reckon due to the wave-orientation of the kite (typical of the Wainman range). But as we all know too much drift also means to take forever to sail back upwind to surf and in light winds you just cannot make it with such a beast! :lol:

There you are with another kite feedback... and still not much from the North light wind - heavy weighted riders!!! :wink:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:47 am

Good work Mr moon. Yeh I'm not a big believer in low aspect kites in the big kites. You gotta have speed in the wing like you said. But in higher winds in the surf, low aspect rules.

WndRdr
Medium Poster

Postby WndRdr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:10 am

mr moon wrote:
Hi windrdr, you've made a good point here... to boost high we need SPEED... hence in light winds we also need a FAST kite other than just a high boosting kite. With this view the Dyno will get better speed than anything else, I just wonder how it will fly... :-?
With Fuse 16m2 you can ride fast. In there it feels like Rebel that you can accelerate it to high speeds. It also goes upwind very well. Atleast the same than Rebel 12m2 if not better. Maybe a bit better as it has a bit more grunt than Rebel so it does not necessarily need as much speed to have power so you can point higher even in low winds when the speed is lower due to the lower windspeed.

I have tried 2011 Dyno 16 and 18 and I prefer the Fuse as a jumping kite even Dyno may get faster speeds to travel but Fuse seems to jump more straight up (=faster higher) and have better hang time. It also feels more solid.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:21 am

Babel wrote:Do you know maybe a little german? If so, check these guys out:

Dyno 15 2013
http://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/actio ... /page/348/

http://tinyurl.com/p4rnczj

Fuse 16 2013
http://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/actio ... /page/348/

http://tinyurl.com/pt2maw8

Essence: Dyno needs more skill but has higher performance.
... thanks for links btw!

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Postby mr moon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:28 am

I have tried 2011 Dyno 16 and 18 and I prefer the Fuse as a jumping kite even Dyno may get faster speeds to travel but Fuse seems to jump more straight up (=faster higher) and have better hang time. It also feels more solid.
That makes sense too... no point in having a fast kite if it takes forever to lift you! I'm very intrigued with the 16m Fuse... it looks just like a big Rebel which would be good enough for me :wink:

Can it be flown on the 5th element bar on 5 lines??

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Puetz wrote:... so in your opinon, does the LTD have the same power as the 18 (static power) or do you have to sine it to get what you want?
Can't really say. We should get 10-15 knots all day on Sunday so should have time to try the two kites back to back. The two sessions I had on the LTD were rushed, so not time to pump two giant kites. I'll try to get some video too.

I don't feel like the 18 had much static power/grunt either, but made huge power from diving it one time. This might be because I almost never ride it in >12 knots. For 12+ knots i'm on my 11m rebel with the raceboard.

I've never ridden the 2012.

Return to “Kitesurfing”