Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Re: 2010 11.5 Kahoona High-end freakout!

Postby matthepp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:39 am

Great insights. bnthere what do you suggest as a more "hardcore" kite? I flew xbows for a few years and got tired of the slow turning, over flying in punchy gusts, and lack of lightness to stay in the air when it lulls. I want a kite with BOTH types of stability. Preferably used, with 10 sessions on it, for $350 shipped...
I might argue that my experience on the old Kahoona has been far more enjoyable than just lawn mowing, especially on snow. It will handle shit wind way better than a ' high-performance' foil such as a Frenzy.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:51 pm

haha, i'm not gonna play favorites on here (although i will offer my input on other people suggestions, when its something i know about). but there are a lot of good ones out there. the only thing i will say about that is that its pretty hard to find them in the $350 category!

ya the 2010 kahoonas are not the worst, but the problem get worse over time (drastically) their main thing is the LE flexing and widening the arc/span, as well as the canopy backwinding at the center along the LE. (as well as LE buckling in high load high depower situations like you described)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:11 am

Yep spot on Bn there.

But I tell ya what, my bro had his for 3 years only just sold it as it was just sitting there...and man did he punish that thing. Even to the day he sold it the strut bladders would stay rock hard for weeks...! Kept flying well within it's own limitations for the entire time!

Return to “Kitesurfing”