Forum for kitesurfers
Jantrit
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Q-power Line Extensions - Connecting and Knots

Postby Jantrit » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:12 pm

I am looking for a set of line extensions for use with a North quad bar and 17m cloud. I found a site selling Q-power extensions (http://www.awindofchange.com/product/qpower-ext.html) and was thinking of getting the 20 foot and the 10 foot sets for various wind etc.

My questions are:

1. How do you connect the extension? Just a pull it through like a figure 8 sort of thing?
2. Will the knot in the line at the extension grab the other lines and foul the safety system? I don't want to try to flag the kite and then find that the lines are bound up.
3. Would I be better off just buying bulk and making my own sleeved lines?

Thanks in advance for letting me tap into the group knowledge.

pluvious2002
Medium Poster

Re: Q-power Line Extensions - Connecting and Knots

Postby pluvious2002 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:37 pm

extensions shouldn't play a role in the deployment of safety system, as extensions are added onto the kite-side of your current line ends, not the sailor side.

no tying required, just loop one end of the extension through the loop end of the line and presto, off you go.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:42 pm

1. put one loop on the extension over the loop on the end of the flying line. Thread the other end of the extension through the loop on the end of your flying line and pull the extension all the way through. seat the two loops so they sit nicely.

2. wont mess up your safety, its a long way away from the bar, but they are a pain in the a$$ as they snag when unwinding lines and such.

3. Your choice, just meke em all exactly the same length.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Jantrit wrote:I am looking for a set of line extensions for use with a North quad bar and 17m cloud. I found a site selling Q-power extensions (http://www.awindofchange.com/product/qpower-ext.html) and was thinking of getting the 20 foot and the 10 foot sets for various wind etc.

My questions are:

1. How do you connect the extension? Just a pull it through like a figure 8 sort of thing?
2. Will the knot in the line at the extension grab the other lines and foul the safety system? I don't want to try to flag the kite and then find that the lines are bound up.
3. Would I be better off just buying bulk and making my own sleeved lines?

Thanks in advance for letting me tap into the group knowledge.
Hi Jantrit,

If it would be me (and I have used Q-Powerlines for many years now to replace crappy other lines), I would not mix the North lines with Q-Powerlines.
Make 2 complete sets of those Q-Powerlines and then you have 3 different line lengths to choose from (including the North line set).
If you decide to mix them together, please let us know your experience.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:14 am

Hey Ceasar how much of a difference do these lines make. So tempted to get a set for my ozone bars?

So you don't have to sleeve them at the kite end? Also do they come with loops in them do they?

I sent a question to a business who sell them and they never got back to me.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:51 am

I agree, I would not "mix" regular lines and Q-Power lines.

Maybe it will be fine, but its just that the Q lines are so hard and strong in the coating, that they might be hard on the sleeved normal line ends.

In general - Q lines are much stronger regarding "wear".

So if you are a smuck with your lines, and often pulling them through lots of bushes and sharp rocks and shells etc etc - then Q lines is the only solution IMO :rollgrin:

On the other hand - with "normal" care, lines today hardly ever seem to wear out...

I've linesets 3-4 years old, and hardly any signs of wear (and I have +150 sessions per year).
So lines today last almost forever, unless you have bad luck of course, where a line can get damaged or snap from day to day.

I stopped using Q lines, as they were a :x hazzle to roll out, so logging so many days on the water, they became a no no for me.

BUT, they are soooo easy to handle, as you just need some plain Q power line in sufficient length, and now you dont need to sleeve or do anything - you can just tie knots and loops ANY time whereever you want - thus easy to make any line length or extensions "in a jiffy" on the spot if you want to.

So no, they dont come with loops or knots, just plain line :thumb:

:D Peter

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 am

If you use the Q-line as extensions on top of the existing lines it should work OK because the safety system doesn't need to involve the Q-line.

You could put loop/loop pigtails between the Q-lines and the lines so that any wear happens to the pigtails rather than the existing lines.

If you use the Q-lines to replace the lines completely, you may have a problem with the knot at the end of the Q-line snagging as it tries to pass through the flagging line path.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Westozzy wrote:Hey Ceasar how much of a difference do these lines make. So tempted to get a set for my ozone bars?

So you don't have to sleeve them at the kite end? Also do they come with loops in them do they?

I sent a question to a business who sell them and they never got back to me.
Hi mate,

Peter basically told the story. But I find the Q-Powerlines the best in the market (besides the Slingshot lines which are very good too and are structured similar).
I connect them to the pigtails and loops which came/come with the original bar.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

PS: Or you buy an epic Epic bar and you will be happy until the end of your kite life (that was Ozzie sarcasm...hehe).

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Actually I had Q lines as flying lines while my back lines were still traditional for a couple of weeks. The differences have been an instant pull for air time while the back lines still were a bit sponge'ier in response.
I am not a fan of 'mixed' line types either. I just did it as an interim solution until my next supply roll arrived. However I do like Q lines.
Pros
Very easy and convenient when it comes to tailoring;
Instant response for bigger kites;
No stretch
High visibility in the water (yellow).
Cons
A bit stiffer to setup when using older lines
yellow is fading just after one season

peace

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:26 pm

Dr Makani wrote:Actually I had Q lines as flying lines while my back lines were still traditional for a couple of weeks. The differences have been an instant pull for air time while the back lines still were a bit sponge'ier in response.
I am not a fan of 'mixed' line types either. I just did it as an interim solution until my next supply roll arrived. However I do like Q lines.
Pros
Very easy and convenient when it comes to tailoring;
Instant response for bigger kites;
No stretch
High visibility in the water (yellow).
Cons
A bit stiffer to setup when using older lines
yellow is fading just after one season

peace
+1 (but your cons are no concerns for me)
:)

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”