Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

wood glass mutant, channels !

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
mattthieu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none so far
Favorite Beaches: snowy fields around !!
Style: snow kite ski for now !!
Gear: some foils, and two new LEI for this summer !
Brand Affiliation: none yet !!héhé
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

wood glass mutant, channels !

Postby mattthieu » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:07 pm

hi

just want to show off ( youhou ) my first board using vac pump.

it's a mutant, around 150x48 or so, so light wind ( there is no fucking wind here in quebec ).

used 3 times 1/8 inch ply ( baltic birch ) glued and screwed on the rocker table.

used 3 plys cause my inserts are .375 inch and i dont wanted to cut them.

epoxy rail all around.

rails / channels front and back ( real pain in the .....to do, but with a dremel tool ( well, the 14 dollars one from wallmart) ) works good.
20130608214 [800x600].jpg
20130609223 [800x600].jpg
20130609222 [800x600].jpg
one layer of 6 oz glass on the bottom, colored one ( red pigment and grphite powder) plus paste ( epoxy and coloidal silica ) in the rails / channels to seal them cause they delaminated a littlte the plys off wood !

put on vac under 22 inch, hoping to unbag tonight hope the rails are nicely wraped.

BIG mistake : using polyethelene plastic from hardware store instead of special one ( no way to get a slick wrap, i'm going to hav eto sand it after ! ) no way to get it nicely into the channels...
20130609224 [800x600].jpg

planning on just painting the to side not to ad to mutch stifness ! with my special salt grip.. and colored resin.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: wood glass mutant, channels !

Postby bay surfer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Looks good, Hope you dont have voids, those thin sheets require more screws for even pressure. With that nice pump I would have done all the forming on a simple vac table, and skipped the glass bottom that would of saved a pound or two. Whats the wt on this board? And hows the flex?

mattthieu
Medium Poster

Postby mattthieu » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:01 pm

wt ?

flex is pretty hard ( i wold say a little more flex ten a regular tt ) more then a rogue wave : before glassing, after : still drying cant be rough on it or it will crack.

reason for screw before glass : had no pump . received it later. and, layup without rocker table allows to wrap glass around the edges.

mattthieu
Medium Poster

Postby mattthieu » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:51 pm

WT aha : 4,5 kilos deck !

here are some finished pics :

grip is going to wash out the salt in the water and became transparent after one or two rides.

there are fin holes in front for one center fin but i need a one inch fin, 2 inch ones are to big, maybe 3/4 inch.

can be ridden straped goffy or reg and strapless. going to try it 5 fins , 3 fins and with 2 surf fins as well till i find the right combination. flex is medium, there is glass only on the bottom so i'm awaiting something that will plane early in light wind and then flex in more wind ( and powered turns ).
20130614231 [800x600].jpg
20130614225 [800x600].jpg
20130614226 [800x600].jpg
concave :
20130614230 [800x600].jpg
channels :
20130614227 [800x600].jpg
20130614228 [800x600].jpg
there is quite no rocker in the center, and rocker with flatend concave in front and back.
epoxy rails ( micro fibers and coloidal silica ) shaped and then wraped around with the glass from bottom.

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:32 pm

it IS cool looking.
have fun.
-bill

mattthieu
Medium Poster

Postby mattthieu » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:50 am

rides like shit !

felt like i could not get going ! to mutch drag from the fins ? any ideas ( i know, it's a lot to ask considering only the pics.)

i did 2 boards one is good one is shit, outch !

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:10 pm

was under the impression that channels had to be done correctly in order for them to offset the significant drag they induce. The goal is to minimize the need for fins by inhibiting lateral slide of the board. Manufacturers that make it work are doing them to a min of .5 cm depth with sharp right angle corners to give a true vertical face perpendicular to the direction of slide. The shallow round edged channels on many boards with less R & D end up just increasing surface area drag without any of the desired benifits and really just reflect the following of trends without addressing the difficulty of incorporating this design feature into easy press manufacturing. Iddeally they should provide a clean release edge when water flows across them in one direction, yet a lateral grip edge when water flows across them in the other direction.
channels on the Tona PoP.jpg
channels on the Tona PoP.jpg (55.47 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Add the significant weight of your deck and you likely get a pretty sluggish feel.

In general, your outline is also pretty square. Some side cut in a stiff design helps you progressively diminish the surface area as you ride toward the tips and the board carves a little nicer. A square outline works for trying to generate a lot of instant pop in a freestyle board, but those boards have a lot of flex to help them ride a little nicer and are light enough to be agile.

Whatever, keep trying
Last edited by Starsky on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:30 pm

mattthieu wrote:rides like shit !

felt like i could not get going ! to mutch drag from the fins ? any ideas ( i know, it's a lot to ask considering only the pics.)

i did 2 boards one is good one is shit, outch !

excellant.
a straight answer to a straight question.
how do your two boards compare with regards to :
surface area?
width?
nose/ tail rocker?
concave?
flex?
weight?

even though you may ride it like a mutant, its still more twin-tip than directional
you can easily get rid of the fins... even the channels to see what the benefits are.
but i suspect its more basic than that.
-bill

mattthieu
Medium Poster

Postby mattthieu » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:00 pm

they both come out of the same rocker table ! so, they are from the same blank, about 3 cm shorter and 2 cm narower for the mutant !

4 kg less for the mutant !

and one rides like a charm ( from 7 knots to 25, 12m, not one spray in face and upwind like a charm )

the second gets' on planning but no way to get upwind in the right direction and reverse not even way to get planing, feels slow, tryed it straped and strapless ( better but not good ).

i'l get rid of the fins, channels are there to stay ( no way to remoove them ! )

well, one deseign is winner, i'm going to stick to it,, going foam and carbon, same size, upscaled and downscaled.

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:45 pm

mattthieu wrote:they both come out of the same rocker table ! so, they are from the same blank, about 3 cm shorter and 2 cm narower for the mutant !

............... channels are there to stay ( no way to remoove them ! )

well, one deseign is winner, i'm going to stick to it,, going foam and carbon, same size, upscaled and downscaled.

the change in area sounds close to 1/2 ft^2
that could be a loss in lift of 20 to 50 lbs at 12 kts depending on trim
L=1/2 Cl rho v^2 A

i dont think the channels have much effect (pos or neg)
but a quick test would be to cover them up with tape or window caulk, just to compare.

?

Return to “Gear Builders”