Forum for kitesurfers
FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Harness for skinny racers?

Postby FrederikS » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Guys,
I have been looking at getting a new seat harness ever since my NP began falling apart. The one I have right now is size M but I have to tighten it in all the way in order to get it to sit comfortably.

I am 196 cm / 80 kg and 82 cm waist. I have been looking at Mystic since their harnesses have a better reputation in terms of durability. I am right in between size S and M, anyone with some insights into whether they are slightly larger for their sizing or slightly small?

I like the features of the Supporter 2013 so anyone riding that I would love to hear what you think about it!

If there is another obvious choice please feel free to suggest I am not decided at all.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Fred

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: Harness for skinny racers?

Postby davesails7 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:41 pm

I just bought a new seat harness. I have about a 31 inch waist (79 cm), I'm 173 cm tall (5'8"), 165 lbs (75kg). I got the size medium Mystic force shield seat harness. It fits me well with just boardshorts and I think it has room for a wetsuit as well.

Tried the dakine nitrous shorts harness for awhile in 32" waist. Worked OK with the raceboard and for relaxed wave sessions, but for gusty 7m days jumping, it kinda gave me whiplash. The hook was too low with not enough support. I'm liking the force shield so far.

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:12 pm

I have used dakine and mystic waist harnesses. I liked the mystic warrior. Hated my dakine pyro and now have an underwave imperial waist harness which I like a lot. You have to try them on because what works for one may not be the best for others. I am 6 foot 165lbs.

Mark

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks a lot for the replies guys! I will try and see if I can demo some 2013 harnesses. Definitely going for something with back support.

Have a great one!

Cheers,
Fred

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm pretty skinny and I haven't found a waist harness that works for me. All the ones I've tried give me back pain after a couple of hours if I'm well powered. Dakine Fusion is a really nice seat harness, you should definitely take a look at it. It doesn't have the best mobility (not that any seat harness does), but it allows you to hold a lot of power and it is really comfortable. I am currently using a Liquid Force board short harness, it is pretty good. For medium powered conditions, the boardshort harness is great- lots of mobility quite comfortable. In over-powered conditions, it isn't as comfortable as a seat harness, but considerably better than the waist harnesses I've tried. I haven't found conditions where I prefer a waist harness to either of the other kind. I use a wetsuit under my boardshort harness, and I'm not sure that I'd want to use it without that extra padding.

I think it really depends on what conditions you sail in. I've never had any problems with any harness except when over-powered, and then some are really uncomfortable.

Return to “Kitesurfing”