Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Oldn[b]awe[/b]stricken wrote: I have to be done with you guys for a while, my stoke is being affected
Time for a little vacation from Kiteforum.
Later nutbags.
Last time you said that you only made it to 10 days
Better luck this time
The guys
:nutkick:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Working on few more SURF kites prototypes. Guys I think you are going to be very very impressed with the result of the SURF kite. Thank you so much for all your help. We are getting close to the final prototype.
Attachments
P1020848.JPG

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise
Been thanked: 0

Postby Geronimo79 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Too bad people like SupaEZ ruin kiteforum for many people.

But its his personal goal to be as annoying as possible during his Anti Dimitri crusade.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Oldnvacationpromisebroken wrote:
I have to be done with you Caesar and Alexey, my stoke is being affected by your negativity..
and Supa's forever crazy relentless emoticon commentary.
Time for a little vacation from you whiners and nut cases.
You wrote that promise Jun15th 2:06pm.......edited that same post Jun16th 4:25pm (had more to say)
Got back on KF Jun 16th 10:07pm Epic 3G thread ...still masterdebating ....still not done with Caesar

I call that a working vacation :pc1: :D :wink: :bye: :P :lol: :coolshades: :gent: :surf: :sun:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Wing tips seem a bit pointy. infact the whole kite looks jagged and pointy.

Will that make perform badly? no idea. my brain tells me yourl get more disturbed flow with the pointness... but that's based only on my eyethometer and no sound logical reasoning.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Again personally I really like the look of this kite.

I've agreed on something with Supa this week I wonder if we can agree on this?

Anyway as I've said in all new idea threads, the nay sayers will always say it can not be done. but with out fresh ideas and conviction we would not have kite surfing as it stands today.

Keep driving the stoke Mr D :D

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:40 pm

BigPaul wrote:Again personally I really like the look of this kite.

I've agreed on something with Supa this week I wonder if we can agree on this?
I guess that kinda look can grow on you in time....especially if you get the team rider price :wink:
Beauty is on the inside....especially if you can pull off some tube rides in the surf with it

At this point everybody is simply prototyping on their keyboards

Prototypes...prototypes....just like those teaser movie theaters trailers
....months and months in advance

Anticipation...just like waiting for the ketchup out of a bottle .....see below 1979 video :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1R-ZIlHE6Q

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:39 am

Guys just wante to let you know that we are getting closer and closer with the SURF kites. The last prototype I received few days ago are a big improvement then the other ones we have been testing. The shape stayed almost the same but some of the big changes were on the bridles, canopy and Leading Edge point attachments. As a result the SURF 8 & 12 turns on a dime and extremely fast, even faster then what I thought. I had the 8m SURF fifteen feet above the water and would initiate a down loop with no problem. The kite was barely touching the water. The high of the SURF 8 is probably 10 feet tall which means it was still 2 to 5 feet above the water when down looping it. People that demo the SURF 8 & 12 were very impressed with its performance. Having a video of the SURF in action could explain better what I am trying to describe.
Actually few of them could not beleive the power of the 8 & 12 while every body else was on 9/10/12/14 meter kites. It was blowing 16 to 22 mph. The SURF 12 was so powerful that we had to land it 40 minutes after we put it up but 2 people were able to test it including me. The SURF 8 stayed up for 3 hrs.
Attachments
SURF 8 vs SCREAMER 14.jpg

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:35 am

Is it just me Dimitir or have you reduced the point angle of the center of the leading edge.

The pointy tips will help I'm sure with quick turning ability, just wondering though if it might perform a little deltaish and not be the greatest at its upper wind range.

But one thing I can say is it has a unique shape and that's cool, trying something a little different...this may provide its own feel and niche market rather than just produce yet another kite that does similar things I have seen over the past two years. Can't wait to hear the results and I have no interest in a surf kite at all! But I dig someone trying something a little different.

Flysurf77
Medium Poster
Gear: EPIC KITEBOARDING
Brand Affiliation: IKO/PADI/EPIC/WAINMAN

Postby Flysurf77 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Few weeks ago I ve been flying/riding the first prototype of the SURF Kite 8m.
The wind was strong and the kite was way to powerful for me in those conditions, specially riding strapless.
What I could realize anyway is that the kite was also kind of slow in the turns/loop, making it even harder to play with.

Few days ago I had the chance to play in the ocean strapless with the new prototype SURF 8m from EPIC.
This time the wind was light, 13/17 knots, with some fun 3/5ft waves to surf.
Getting in the water, 2 guys were just getting out, one on 13m the other on 15m(they were heavier than me tho) and recommending to get a bigger kite to be able to ride!
I came here with the SURF 8m to try it, this is what I m gonna do! I m stubborn!!!
My two buddies joining me for the downwinder decided to leave their 9m kites in the car and pump the 11m.
PDCK-surf-kite-epic.jpg
POWER: I was powered enough to get out of the shore break, powered enough to ride upwind and powered enough to get some good speed down the wave!
I was surprised!
I obviously have to work it a bit in the 13s knots but this is where the turning speed comes in......

TURNING SPEED: Don D has made some great improvement on the briddle length and attachment on the LE and the the new SURF Kite is now turning like CRAZYYYYYYY!
It loops super fast and allow you to downloop it even when already close to the water.
It doesn t loose power or have any delay getting out of the loop.
It allows you to create a great amount of power by moving it up and down.
Nice job!

DRIFT: Even in this light wind condition going down the waves( It was on shore wind) the SURF Kite was just drifting in front of me without loosing tension in the lines allowing me to just surf and play with the wave.

RELAUCH: Pushing it a bit, I rode this long wave almost all the way to shore and after 3/4 kiteloop/downloop I finally crashed the beast in the shore breaks.
It swallowed a couple of big waves, didn t flip over, and I could easily relaunch it pulling one of the back line.

I recommend to use this kite( and the other EPIC in general) with the new 4G bar, as it has a longer throw line needed when surfing down the wave.

One last recommendation, but it would in my opinion work for any kite brand, when riding in the waves and crashing, do not use the 100% safety flag line as you might drift down into your lines and get tangle.
I always use my leash on a ¨Suicide¨mode when in the waves!

I usually ride waves in 25/35 knots so I can t wait to put my hands on the SURF 5m!!!! :naughty:

D, there is 30/35k of wind coming soon, any chance to get one of those mosquito kites!?!?!?!?!

Have a great day.
:mosh:

Return to “Kitesurfing”