Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Getting bogged down riding upwind; any tips?

Forum for kitesurfers
Metaphor_
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Getting bogged down riding upwind; any tips?

Postby Metaphor_ » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:29 am

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

Seems like when the wind is less strong I'm getting bogged down. I.E. After I do a few power strokes, get planing, park my kite and start riding upwind, I start slowing down after maybe 30 seconds and the board just sinks. Then I have to restart with power strokes. I'm on a 10m blade trigger, 142cm LF Drive. It was easier on the instructor's equipment to stay upwind and get a solid ride. That board was bigger, though the dealer told me I should be able to ride a 142cm fine.

When I tried doing what my instructor told me, i.e. leaning back and turning the hips in the new direction of travel, things bogged down even faster.

So do I need to just... ride the board flatter? Set the board angle less upwind? Should I be trying to sine the kite like a madman? Or is there a weight distribution issue (am I getting too far over the nose? I've been aiming for keeping my centre of mass a bit behind the centre of the board)?

MarcThompson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barra da Tijuca; Praia Seca; Araruama; Arubinha; Búzios.
Favorite Beaches: Praia Seca
Style: Freeride
Gear: CORE Riot XR2 11, Slingshot Darko.

Re: Getting bogged down riding upwind; any tips?

Postby MarcThompson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:02 pm

There are a couple of factors that you should disclose for a better advice: your weight and the wind speed.

I give my case as an example: I weight 95 Kg (210 lb) and with my 138x42 TT and my 11 kite, I need at least 15 knots to ride upwind. Needless to say that if I push too hard under that minimum condition, I quickly lose speed. Also, I surely need to create more apparent wind in the beginning in order to get me planning. And just then, start going upwind. If I go upwind right from the start, I just get bogged. This was my most common mistake when I started riding.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Metaphor_ wrote:Hi guys, looking for some advice.

Seems like when the wind is less strong I'm getting bogged down. I.E. After I do a few power strokes, get planing, park my kite and start riding upwind, I start slowing down after maybe 30 seconds and the board just sinks. Then I have to restart with power strokes. I'm on a 10m blade trigger, 142cm LF Drive. It was easier on the instructor's equipment to stay upwind and get a solid ride. That board was bigger, though the dealer told me I should be able to ride a 142cm fine.

When I tried doing what my instructor told me, i.e. leaning back and turning the hips in the new direction of travel, things bogged down even faster.

So do I need to just... ride the board flatter? Set the board angle less upwind? Should I be trying to sine the kite like a madman? Or is there a weight distribution issue (am I getting too far over the nose? I've been aiming for keeping my centre of mass a bit behind the centre of the board)?
A 10m is a small kite, it's possible you just don't have enough wind. Or you may be trying to rush into a sharp upwind angle. Try reducing the upwind angle so that you don't slow down so much. If you have your trim strap on the full power setting that will not help you go upwind (counter-intuitive, I know). Sining a bit more at the start could get you planing faster and get more apparent wind through the kite. But you're not going to go upwind by sining continuously.
When you are first learning you will have great days where the wind is just right to stay upwind, but then another time you'll see other kiters staying upwind and you'll lose ground because the conditions are not as good.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Don't try to go as far upwind. Maintain your board speed.

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Metaphor_ wrote:Hi guys, looking for some advice.

it is probably not you. In marginal wind, the wind is constantly going up and down. You dont say how much you weigh, but with a really big board you can coast through the lulls. Im 165 but often ride a 165cm giant board because our wind has a lot of holes.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:06 pm

It can be very challenging in lighter wind to make good progress upwind. Equipment as you know can be a big factor. The biggest factor will be your kite/board skills in more marginal conditions.
Going upwind in LW is not a straight line thing, meaning its more like gentle sss reacting to the gusts of wind. Having a very light grip on the bar is important. When a gust hits, just let the bar be pulled toward the kite. When this happens,edge a bit harder to point upwind. When the gust subsides, the bar will come back closer to you, then flatten the board and bear off slightly,repeat. It becomes very challenging if you have to sine the kite to move upwind,but it is the same technique, down stroke,edge, upstroke,let bar out and flatten board slightly,repeat.
Practice is the key. A combination of technique and equipment will get you going in some pretty light winds even if your a heavier person.
:thumb:

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Go Big or go home! Bigger kite, or bigger board will fix the problem.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:38 pm

When you are kiting on light wind days or at least light wind for the size kite and board you are riding, there are going to be lulls and peaks. On the days when you can barely or rarely go upwind, feel it out. Then go back and check the actual wind speeds and peak gusts on windalert or any other good wind tracker for your area for the time period you were out. From there you will be able to get a predictable wind speed that you will be able to hold upwind for your kite and board combo.

A bigger kite and board will get you a lower speed of course, but even then, there is a point that it just won't happen. Best of luck and good winds.

chipmunk
Frequent Poster

Postby chipmunk » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:03 pm

10m is too small i am over 95kg 15 knots 13.5 or 15m :thumb: your board is ok i ride a 141/42
in light winds or a raceboard

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Try reducing your board speed.

The faster you go the more you increase the apparent wind which will in turn move the edge of the window more downwind and in front of you reducing your ability to get upwind, this is why you go upwind very well when slowly cruising upto the beach. I don't know if this will be as effective in lightwinds.

Also try letting the bar out a bit, this can allow the kite to move towards the edge of the window increasing the upwing ability.

Also as said if you edge too hard upwind you will overcome the pull of the kite causing you to stop. Lightwind riding is a technique in its own right and you have to be more patient and not as agressive as you would be on a windy day, it sounds as if this is what is happening and you ideally just need some more practice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”