All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Super light wind riding
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:44 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey doggy, do you find that WSM app to be fairly accurate? I have it for my Sony Xperia and it does seem to be a bit janky. I know the accuracy of the app. depends on the quality of the microphone for the app to work properly. I was hoping for better results, maybe time for a different phone?
Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread. I was just curious to know your experience with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:57 am 
Very Frequent Poster

So the board is doing about 5x the wind speed?

That's very very very very efficient.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 am 
Rare Poster

10 knots minimum.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am 
Very Frequent Poster

davesails7 wrote:
William Munney wrote:
If you can get a kite in the air the Sector will plane.

I think that depends on the kite. I haven't ridden the sector, but have ridden full raceboards with lightwind specific kites. The lightwind specific kites will fly before it has enough power to get you up on a full raceboard (about 6 knots). I'd guess the sector with less volume and planing area will take at least as much pull to get going as compared to the raceboards.

I should have qualified that as I don't have one of the new lightwind specific kites. I'm flying Rebels. We also have somewhat variable wind with deep lulls.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Seriously folks, that NRG Liquid Force employs a new nano technology called, UGLI-KEW, short for ugliness is kewl similar to that new water repelling stuff whereby water will not stick to anything sprayed with it.

To clarify, it is so ugly the air is trying not to touch it or have anything to do with it, therefore it has no surface friction and will fly in lighter winds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm 
Frequent Poster

It seems it's always lightwind season somewhere in the world!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:20 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The spot is also blowing off shore and with the pebble ridge there the water would indeed be super flat!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:38 pm 
Medium Poster

It's always nice to see the luck of getting kiting pleasures in almost no wind days. It's possible to get some fun in light wind not only with directional boards. Just need to choose the right twintip. My saver in light wind is Aboards Glider 164. Here is some video with proofs :) (not mine but you can get an idea).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

POACHER wrote:
Hey doggy, do you find that WSM app to be fairly accurate? I have it for my Sony Xperia and it does seem to be a bit janky. I know the accuracy of the app. depends on the quality of the microphone for the app to work properly. I was hoping for better results, maybe time for a different phone?
Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread. I was just curious to know your experience with it.

The wind speed was measured using a microphone? :o Is there really any way to make that accurate? That would be great if it actually works. I hadn't heard of this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:15 am 
Frequent Poster

chemosavi wrote:
Seriously folks, that NRG Liquid Force employs a new nano technology called, UGLI-KEW, short for ugliness is kewl similar to that new water repelling stuff whereby water will not stick to anything sprayed with it.

To clarify, it is so ugly the air is trying not to touch it or have anything to do with it, therefore it has no surface friction and will fly in lighter winds.

Ha ha ha!

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next