Forum for kitesurfers
kas911
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

losing traction in bottom turn

Postby kas911 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Hello

Some times i "spin out" in my bottom turn on my 5'10 thruster. Especially when I try to work on my goofy side. Really hate it.

My question is, is there generelly more traction in quads compared to thrusters? Or is my board just to narrow/round in the back?

Tx

Outside
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: losing traction in bottom turn

Postby Outside » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:18 pm

You probably just need bigger or stiffer fins. A few details about the board and fins would be helpful, as well your definition of "spin out."

It is unlikely a board problem, but of course changing boards or fin configuration will alter the handling.

What is your experience level with surfboards? Is it possible you have the fins in incorrectly, or in the wrong slots?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Huh - that was a "difficult" one !

Are you new into waveboards ?

Then it is very likely not the board but you, who has to forget ALL about your old TT habits...

The power and driving point is your FRONT foot on a surfboard, not the back foot like on a TT.

If you ride like a TT, you WILL experience the tail popping out all the time, and the board will feel "bouncy".

If you are a bit more experienced into waveboards, it is more tricky...

As you ask if your board is too "narrow" ?

The narrower the more grip the board has - wide boards will pop out of the water much easier.

Too small fins and too wide boards might also make the board "pop out" yes.

I have never experienced any board popping out though, only if TOO big fins, it will begin to feel "odd" and bounce more...
Just the opposite as "Outside" says, eventhough he is correct in theory yes.

But just like he says - what is your "experience" level, and what precise dimensions (or name) are your board and fins and your weight ?

:D Peter

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 pm

I would agree to Peter. If it only happens on your goofy side which seems not to be your natural side then it is a technique thing. Being regular footed I had the same issue, my bottom turn goofy footed was weak. You just have to train. And if your water time is limited like mine train the body movement and stance on a skateboard. Using these ones: www.carverskateboards.com has helped me a lot as they are specialized to replicate surf moves on concrete.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 pm

kas911 wrote:Hello

Some times i "spin out" in my bottom turn on my 5'10 thruster. Especially when I try to work on my goofy side. Really hate it.

My question is, is there generelly more traction in quads compared to thrusters? Or is my board just to narrow/round in the back?

Tx
Well being too narrow is definitely not the issue. If you ride it "right" I would say the quad has more bite, but I think you might want to:
*Check your technique
*Check your fins

Very small differences in fins makes a HUGE difference. Stiffer bigger fins will definitely give more bite in the bottom turn.

So more info on the board will be good.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:59 am

It's the rider that makes the board go... not the board that makes the rider go. Just sayin'....

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:20 pm

If you have fcs or future fins change the size, you probably have small fins and need medium. Do that first, or medium and you need large, to facilitate the board your ridng. 5'10 thruster is very lilttle info. width, thickness? your height and weight also will help. Without this info people are just blowing air. Bet the fins fix it. :thumb:

kas911
Frequent Poster

Postby kas911 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Thank you guys! Been busy the last couple of days. I know its all about the rider, but im no expert, so why not get the gear that make it as easy as possible to enjoy a good sesion?

I have been kiting since 02 but didn't jump on a directional untill 2010. Takoon burning 5'8, then Naish global 6'0 and now LF 2011. I like it alot (i like it is loose in top turns but still miss traction carving the other way) but have the spin out problem. On my Burning and Global I could "pull G's" like a boss and newer loose any track :lol: :lol: :wink: By spin out i mean when I lay down in a bottom turn, if i really push it, my back foot/tail of the board tends to loose grip!

I have upgraded my M standard fcs fins to stiffer L, but still loose it sometimes

I probably just need to get even more used to the board.....

And no im not english, but hope I make sense anyway :D

Best regards - Kasper (90 kg)

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Progressive edging dont try to bury rail all at once. Every board due to thickness, width, fins and etc will carve differently, enjoy. As they say enjoy the ride.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:54 pm

The global has a narrow tail. If your other board has more tail and hip and you try the same speed in the turn it will definitely spin out. You can do some things with technique, but more board makes it harder to hold turns for sure...try to dig in a little harder with your back foot...place it a bit closer to the rail perhaps?
If you ride in bumpy conditions a wide board will amplify and be even harder to ride.

...but definitely enjoy...
:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”