Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

When is the kite pumped correct ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

When is the kite pumped correct ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi - I was about to answer a thread that changed into this, but maybe better to make a new thread.

WHEN is the kite pumped okay ?

I must say, although contradictory to everyone else almost, I know, that I've never used the "ping" method that much.

Because, I "bend the LE" in order to feel when its just right.

After many years, you just KNOW exactly how stiff the canopy (Leading Edge) has to be.

So if you try to bend the LE halfway out, or 2/3 out, you will know EXACTLY when its right !

Or press it against the ground when/before you turn it around, and feel how "stiff" it is.

Then the ping method can be used to have an idea when its right, true.

Or you can count pumps, as I do inevitably whether I want it or not... (for a given pump, if you use another pump its another ball game)

Or even a pressure gauge maybe...

But IMO mostly useless for anything but a rough idea of "where you are".

Because so many kites need different pressure (according to their LE diameter t.ex), and different sizes also act different - I always use the "feel how stiff the LE is" method.

I can see that at least JGTR does the very same, so maybe I am not the only one not relying on the inaccurate ping method or similar, that almost everybody recommends ?

:D Peter Frank

Metaphor_
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: When is the kite pumped correct ?

Postby Metaphor_ » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:02 pm

The guy at Kite Paddle Surf in Bellingham told me to just keep pumping until it's too hard to pump anymore. I have to admit my ear isn't attuned to any particular tone the kite makes. I love how people say "it should sound like ping, not like pong, and not like bong or bink" - wtf? :lol:

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:16 pm

I honestly don't feel like it makes much of a difference. I pump it to a different pressure every session depending on how badly I want to get on the water. The only time I could tell it was too soft was once when it was super gusty and it felt like I was flying a bird that was flapping its wings.

Just pump it until it's hard..

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:14 am

dyyylan wrote:I honestly don't feel like it makes much of a difference.
I think it makes a big difference with relaunch... either that, or guys here just can't relaunch their kites. Those who have the most trouble relaunching, are using electric pumps and they never seem to inflate enough. Add the usual shrinkage, and floppy kite just won't get up on a tip.

Also, the LE can fold on my if I'm looping and loading kites, so I always pump it up tight... ish.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:51 am

+1 for Peter's method, that's how I do it because then I know it will be hard enough to relaunch and not just flop around and it works with any kite or pump.

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Postby RAL INN » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:14 am

The ping method is not that good. However I'm also a fan of the press it method.
I tell my students that applying your thumbprint to the leading edge you should get a slight impression but if you can get a wrinkle add air.

When teaching however I tend on the lighter pressure side to allow for crashes and also it makes the student get some less than ideal experience to get them ready for the real world of kiting out there.

however from my experience you can never really get too much pressure from a normal kite pump to cause problems. unless you have a custom pump and weight 150kg and stand on it :roll:

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:07 am

According to most manufacturer's instructions you pump until the leading edge can support itself without folding over.

This is way too soft. It equates to a "thud" in the "ping" test.

I think the reason they do this is to avoid crazy people pumping the leading edge to absurd pressures and blowing out the LE.

If you send the kite powered through the window when it is under-inflated the leading edge will collapse under load. That is very unnerving when it happens, although it is not usually disastrous. It can result in the kite inverting. If it happens often enough you will get fatigue wrinkles in the leading edge and the fabric will split.

My preference is to pump the kite as hard as I can get with my arms, without putting my body weight on the pump. When it starts to get hard to pump then it is usually done. I also count strokes and use the ping test to finish off with.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:07 am

I asked the gentleman who taught me and taught me how to teach. He just remarked, "Think Pam Anderson" Nice and firm.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:45 am

The 2013 Naish pump gauge shows the proper pressure ranges for various kite sizes. Small kites like 7m can be over 8 psi but large ones should have somewhat less pressure. This is because bigger leading edges result in more force on the leading edge fabric and seams.

This is the first time I have seen a gauge labeled this way and it is a good idea. I can't find a picture right now unfortunately. I will post one tomorrow.

:wink: CG

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:18 am

ping test for me. possibly a gentle squeese.

my 6 and 8m 3 strut kites need more pumpage or they can fold under pressure. The 6 i pump HARD.

my 10m 5 strut needs less and my 7 strut 13m rearly gets past thud. its so long and thing it folds under its own weight when held at by the tip but hold shape in the air.

my favourite kite to pump.

15m..... no pumping. unrole that bastard and launch.

Return to “Kitesurfing”