Has thanked: 0

Re: Thoughts about self beach launch...

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Yeh but always found c kites harder to land n

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:10 am

c kites are easier to launch (self launch or any other) than a non c shaped kite (he mentions sles) i can't believe that is a serious statement. your doing something wrong or dont have any non c kite experience. even if you are a c kite master (u probably are) there is no way that should be the case.

there are many ways to self launch: unassisted (drag), tethered, secured/weighted wingtip, reverse, hot, drift ....

im not criticizing, thats just a general public disclaimer about c vs any other. there is no way c's do all those things more easily.

all kites are extremely easy to land by disabling onto a single center line.

keep shredding c kite master.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:44 am

I was talking abotu not activating the quick release. Try and do the old walk up the middle line thingy on a C kite you will find out why. Of course activating saftey correctly there is no probs eithe kite design.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:04 am

bnthere wrote:c kites are easier to launch (self launch or any other) than a non c shaped kite (he mentions sles) i can't believe that is a serious statement. your doing something wrong or dont have any non c kite experience. even if you are a c kite master (u probably are) there is no way that should be the case.
no, i suck, C or non C

i only use the "roll it and up it goes" method, self launch a lot, only self land occasionally

still and again: i do find easier to self launch my C than the others. Am I allowed to?

think it may be related with extra area at the wing tips as it provides a wider platform for the kite to roll, plus having the bar directly linked to the tips without bridles and pullies in the middle which affect control

but in the end it was not intended to be a general disclaimer, just my oppinion, valid for the kites i fly & not really so fu** important

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:13 am

Tiago1973 wrote:
bnthere wrote:c kites are easier to launch (self launch or any other) than a non c shaped kite (he mentions sles) i can't believe that is a serious statement. your doing something wrong or dont have any non c kite experience. even if you are a c kite master (u probably are) there is no way that should be the case.
no, i suck, C or non C

i only use the "roll it and up it goes" method, self launch a lot, only self land occasionally

still and again: i do find easier to self launch my C than the others. Am I allowed to?

think it may be related with extra area at the wing tips as it provides a wider platform for the kite to roll, plus having the bar directly linked to the tips without bridles and pullies in the middle which affect control

but in the end it was not intended to be a general disclaimer, just my oppinion, valid for the kites i fly & not really so fu** important
I dont get this either ?

Many SLE's has lines connected directly too, Wainman and North to take some of the big ones.
Affecting control - true - but that goes both ways, it improves control too - but lets not get into that...

The thing that baffles me, is that you say your C kites self launch easier than SLE's because C kites roll better ?

This I honestly dont understand at all...

Have you tried relaunching or selflaunching a North Evo or a Wainman Rabbit or Bandit or similar "round" kite ?

You will hardly be able to hold them on the ground nor water, so the term "auto" relaunch is not that far from reality actually :thumb:

Whether they have wide tips (many SLE's has), or narrow tips delta shape - they mostly roll up extremely good and easy when the leading edge is "swept back", like they are.

I dont use that type of "super" round kite myself that often, but I must say, I am always amazed of the almost auto-selflaunch :naughty:

And less round SLE/Bows has this feature also, just not as extreme of course.

:D Peter

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:24 am

Yeh the wainmen is so easily launched. Also you could have a 3 course meal and still have the kite attached and it would just sit there, until you want to go again!

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: I dont get this either ?

Many SLE's has lines connected directly too, Wainman and North to take some of the big ones.
Affecting control - true - but that goes both ways, it improves control too - but lets not get into that...

The thing that baffles me, is that you say your C kites self launch easier than SLE's because C kites roll better ?

Have you tried relaunching or selflaunching a North Evo or a Wainman Rabbit or Bandit or similar "round" kite ?

You will hardly be able to hold them on the ground nor water, so the term "auto" relaunch is not that far from reality actually :thumb:

Whether they have wide tips (many SLE's has), or narrow tips delta shape - they mostly roll up extremely good and easy when the leading edge is "swept back", like they are.

I dont use that type of "super" round kite myself that often, but I must say, I am always amazed of the almost auto-selflaunch :naughty:

I am speaking about the kites i fly - none of them is those you mention.

I do think my C rolls better than the others SLE I got with less "drag it a bit" involved into the process. Somehow once you are properly positioned the kite is able to roll over himselve just with bar inputs, on mine SLEs i find this not so easily done and sometimes some small walking is needed.

Also the wider wing tips seem to provide a stable platform for the kite to hold position while it´s seated into the window corner (ie - after the roll/before the take off), which provides time for small adjustments before giving the final bar input for the kite to fly. Again, wih the SLE i find this equilibrium to be more difficult to sustain, things need to be done more quickly

PS
I´m strickly speaking about self-launch in the sand

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Tiago1973 wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote: I dont get this either ?

I am speaking about the kites i fly - none of them is those you mention.

I do think my C rolls better than the others SLE I got with less "drag it a bit" involved into the process. Somehow once you are properly positioned the kite is able to roll over himselve just with bar inputs, on mine SLEs i find this not so easily done and sometimes some small walking is needed.

Also the wider wing tips seem to provide a stable platform for the kite to hold position while it´s seated into the window corner (ie - after the roll/before the take off), which provides time for small adjustments before giving the final bar input for the kite to fly. Again, wih the SLE i find this equilibrium to be more difficult to sustain, things need to be done more quickly

PS
I´m strickly speaking about self-launch in the sand
tiago get yourself some new kites. at least demo one so you know what you're missing

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:46 pm

lol

but u know what - I am in the opposite trend, my last toy is a 9m 2002 fuel i got from a friend... waiting for the proper weather to fly this little fellow

Return to “Kitesurfing”