Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone kited the Slingshot SP Wakesurfer?

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Anyone kited the Slingshot SP Wakesurfer?

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:17 pm

I found out about the Slingshot Wakesurfers in this Nugget thread, and thought I'd ask here rather than derail that conversation further.

Slingshot lists two Wakesurfers under their WAKE webpage, shown here;
http://www.slingshotsports.com/wake/pro ... kesurfers/

One of them is the REFORM skim board, which I own in the previous wood grain version (when it was sold under the SURF section of Kiteboarding). It's a nice skim that I really like. Although I did put smaller fins on it to loosen it up a good bit. It came with deck pads which are not shown in this picture. Looks like the new version, if it is the same shape (?), comes with a full deckpad.

In the Nugget thread, somebody brought up the "SP" which looks like it'd be a lot of fun on a kite. I was hoping for something comparable to the Nugget, but cheaper and more durable.

Has anyone kited with the Slingshot SP?
What did you think?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

• Sizes: 4'6", 5'0", 5'4"

Hand shaped by Tony Logosz, the SP Wakesurfer offers the control and stability of a longboard with the agility and performance of a short-board. Featuring a variable tucked hard rail for added bite in the pocket, double concave with an aggressive V spine through the tail for looser transition from edge to edge, and a large volume profile, these boards provide unmatched performance for any level of wakesurfing.
[/size]

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Re: Anyone kited the Slingshot SP Wakesurfer?

Postby bigwave » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:01 am

Hi,
I had some time on the 5'0 SS SP Wakesurfer while on a trip to Cuba this spring. There were a couple of light wind mornings which turned into lots of fun! I used it with a 2013 Cabrinha 18 LW Xbow and 2013 Slingshot Rally 14m. The winds were around 6-10 knots, no white caps when riding the Xbow to some on the Rally. The board feels a little sticky when you initially get going, but soon as the fins get some lift, the board feels great. Upwind no problem. Moderate speed, with good acceleration in gusts. Very easy to gybe and tack( actually made some tacks lol). It is very similar to the Airush Slayer that I have been riding. The Slayer(60) might be better in the turns and a little sharper rail to rail but they are very similar in speed and handling. Where the similarities end is at the check out, where you saving around $500-600( enough for your next trip!). The fins are plastic. I would upgrade, more performance.
I really feel, this is a great LW ride when you factor in the cost of other boards. The 5'0 fits like a glove in a Dakine Stubby Bag. PM me if you want a great price on one, I have the 5'0 and 5'4. This is a shot from the trip. On the 14 Rally in this one.
Attachments
564624_4702919407722_956692330_n.jpg

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:54 am

I am very curious about this board in the 5' 0" and the 5' 4" sizes... how they compare to a Nugget 5' 0" or Firewire Sweet Potato in those same sizes.
The volume of the board is very similar to the Sweet Potato, size for size.
Anybody been on the 5' 4" size Slingshot?
I am curious about the nose rocker at 4.5" and tail rocker at 1.4".
Curious about the double concave, is it very slight or does it do something truly useful?
I am curious about the "aggressive V spine" what positive might it do for kiting?
Are the plastic fins junk?
Hoe durable is the construction compared to the bamboo surfboard line up, which is built very nicely?

Slingshot says this about it:

Comes in 4'6", 5'0", 5'4" sizes.

Hand shaped by Tony Logosz, the SP Wakesurfer offers the control and stability of a longboard with the agility and performance of a short-board. Featuring a variable tucked hard rail for added bite in the pocket, double concave with an aggressive V spine through the tail for looser transition from edge to edge, and a large volume profile, these boards provide unmatched performance for any level of wakesurfing.

RECISION MOLDED CORE
Lightweight foam construction with a seamless fiberglass layup.

ROUND NOSE
Added control, lift and smooth turning.

WIDE THUMB TAIL
Larger volume in a smaller board for effortless glide on any size wake.

AGGRESSIVE V SPINE
An elevated spine through the tail that displaces water to free up the board for smooth turning performance.

DOUBLE CONCAVE BOTTOM
Efficient acceleration to keep you in the wake pocket.

EVA DECK PAD
Custom grooved and contoured traction pad that provides uniform support and plush comfort.

Dimensions

4’6” Width - 19.5” Rocker - 1.8” Tail, 4.2” Nose
Thickness - 2.1” Volume - .78 cubic feet / 22.1 liters

5’0” Width - 21.5” Rocker - 1.4” Tail, 4.2” Nose
Thickness - 2.75” Volume - 1.23 cubic feet / 34.8 liters

5’4” Width - 21.5” Rocker - 1.4” Tail, 4.5” Nose
Thickness - 2.75” Volume - 1.31 cubic feet / 37.2 liters

Fins

(2) — 3.625” CENTER FINS (2) — 4.5” OUTER FINS

(Remove center fins for more aggressive performance
and remove outer fins for a more controlled longboard feel)

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:25 am

bigwave wrote:Hi,
I had some time on the 5'0 SS SP Wakesurfer while on a trip to Cuba this spring. There were a couple of light wind mornings which turned into lots of fun! I used it with a 2013 Cabrinha 18 LW Xbow and 2013 Slingshot Rally 14m....
This is awesome, thanks bigwave! Not only did I found someone who has ridden one...you have a picture of it and you're on the same 14M that I have! Thanks.

How about if I upgraded to smaller fins, but better quality? Maybe that would loosen up that stickiness a bit, but also get some improvements from a stiffer fin?

Cool either way, my interest is even more perked, now...

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:36 pm

bigwave wrote:The fins are plastic. I would upgrade, more performance.
What type of fins does it take? I know the LF kitefish wakesurfer uses TT spaced fins with coarse thread screws so for that I had to buy custom screws and use Ocean Rodeo Mako "surf fins":

http://store.oceanrodeo.com/assets/images/FIN85tts.jpg

I would expect this board to have fin boxes though, but I'd like to know which kind.

I'm considering this board too as I'd like to have it for wake surfing as well as kiting. How is the strength though? I know this is a hand shaped board and as such might not have the strength to hold up to kite abuse.

It also probably doesn't have a leash plug, which is annoying if you need to swim in or self rescue you can't just clip it through your kite leash by having a small loop on your leash plug.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 am

Slappy- It has FCS fin boxes.

Just bought one from Slingshot.
The 2012 SP 5' 4" size.
Will give feedback after I've had a go on it.
Attachments
SP_460x540.jpg
SP_460x540.jpg (69.4 KiB) Viewed 7084 times

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:...
Fins

(2) — 3.625” CENTER FINS (2) — 4.5” OUTER FINS

(Remove center fins for more aggressive performance
and remove outer fins for a more controlled longboard feel)
What do you think "aggressive" means?
I would think you'd loosen the back end up a bit if you remove the center/rear fins, which would be nice. I'd want the board able to hold and track, but be playful.

But as the comments above are probably for wakesurfing, I wonder which is the best setup for kiting?

On this video from the SS website, it looks like they are always using it with the center fins removed (For both surfing and wakesurfing);
https://vimeo.com/58972270

Hasse
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Agger, Hanstholm
Style: Wave and foil. Little freestyle.
Gear: Gin kites, Hyde Kites, Kauper.

Postby Hasse » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:30 pm

I use some simular board. http://www.liquidforce.com/wakesurfers-noserider.html It is awesome in small lightwind days...

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:52 am

I think they mean more aggressive carving and turning, which you can do with a looser tail end and the two back fins left off, when behind a boat, I think.
For kiting, I'm gonna start with all four fins and see what it does, and then start to play around from there.
It just came in... and it is BRIGHT GREEN, not the color that I posted.
The board looks to be well made, but the fins are black plastic and may not be great.
I like the double concave and center spine idea, I think that is going to make it perform well.
Wind is dead today and yesterday, so we will see when I get a session or two on it.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:39 am

Oldnbroken wrote:...It just came in... and it is BRIGHT GREEN, not the color that I posted.
The board looks to be well made, but the fins are black plastic and may not be great.
I like the double concave and center spine idea, I think that is going to make it perform well.
Wind is dead today and yesterday, so we will see when I get a session or two on it.
Sweeeet! Look forward to hearing the report.

I figure if it rides nice, it'll be worth the upgrade to some higher quality fins. Makes sense I suppose...keep the price competitive for the wake market, but give us the option to upgrade with the FCS box. Now, of course if it was made specific for the kite market it'd have high quality fins, a wood deck...and a $900 price tag. ;)

I'm far from a fin expert, but The Kiteboarder did a great review of the SS Celeritas WVX vs. the EPX designs. They are the same shape, but among other things one has fiberglass fins and one has the molded plastic fins. You can read the full review here, but below is the fin excerpt which I found educational;
...Both of our testers commented the WVX Tyrant felt much more responsive and lively compared to the EPX version. The different fins also made a big difference in their handling through turns.

With its fiberglass fins, the WVX had a lot more drive through turns and it was easier to keep speed through turns. The plastic fins on the EPX Tyrant offered less drive and speed through turns and made that board feel a little looser than the WVX.
FWIW.

Return to “Kitesurfing”