Forum for kitesurfers
rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Go Pro Warning

Postby rightguard » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:54 pm

Hey Poacher... can we some other pics of that back mount? I've been wanting to try one of these.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 am

Here's an excellent video from someone who did some ground work with a variety of mounts to see how much the GoPro and an aftermarket floaty can float. Note how some are oriented in the water making them harder to spot too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1R7AzF9RY8

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:26 am

rightguard wrote:Hey Poacher... can we some other pics of that back mount? I've been wanting to try one of these.
This is all I have on file. I can shoot you a better pic of the mount if you want. The parts are from RAM mounts. They cost about $50 but it's cool because you can easily change the angle with a big thumb screw on the pivot ball. I have an additional 18" section that will swap onto the end to have a 36" total boom for more field of view. RAM makes a specific adapter for the Go Pro.

grimace
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Anywhere in NE Wisconsin
Style: Everything
Gear: Liquid Force, Hyperflex and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force, Hyperflex and Ozone

Postby grimace » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:43 am

Lost two cameras in a simiar way in both the water and 3 feet of powder... I now keep a bungee cord tied to the camera and either my wetsuit zipper or my helmet.

Flysurf77
Medium Poster
Gear: EPIC KITEBOARDING
Brand Affiliation: IKO/PADI/EPIC/WAINMAN

Postby Flysurf77 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:49 am

zerogee_ca wrote:Here's an excellent video from someone who did some ground work with a variety of mounts to see how much the GoPro and an aftermarket floaty can float. Note how some are oriented in the water making them harder to spot too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1R7AzF9RY8
We need to add that most of us are riding in salt water, being more buoyant.
So some of those sinking in the video could be floating in the ocean!

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 am

Poacher... How do they attach to the rod, or what is the rod?

deanrobi
Rare Poster

Postby deanrobi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:45 am

check these out
http://backy-mount.com

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks for the tip. I will have to check the floaty backpack in the tub and maybe add some extra floatation. I have also had the same problem with cameras switching off from time to time. After pulling the battery out and then back in all good. What is the fix for this?

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board

Postby Wiski23 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:48 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Toby wrote:...Why do you use the picture setting?
To save battery?
Otherwise just do a video and then take a screenshot.
Will be about 1mb if full sized...enough for the web...
The picture setting takes really nice stills. Much better quality than a screenshot. Gives you the option to crop and such as well.
Additionally, some folks have told me that if you leave the camera in picture mode (even when not recording, but powered on) it consumes less power than when in video mode. This has been the case in my tests. My theory is that the camera just keeps running the sensor in whatever mode you have it in, it just doesn't write it to flash unless you're recording.

Anyway, with the remote, YES, it is very convenient to switch between stills and video mode. And of course power it off when you are not doing anything interesting to conserve the fragile battery life of the thing.

Regarding the floaty backpack not floating the unit, I had read when I purchased my HERO3 that it won't float much other than the camera. Since most people have the battery, screen or other accessories attached that is kind of useless. They should make a bigger float.
What setting do you have the pictures set to? Is it on timer to take a pic every 30 secs or every minute? Do you think the picture quality is different to screen shots of vid? Lastly where do you store the remote when kiting.. Just curious as I've just purchased my hero3 black & line mount/strut mount... Didn't want to start recording before drift launching my kite. I'm guessing you store the remote up your wetty sleeve maybe.

Cheers

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:43 pm

uh, back on topic....

It sucks that GoPro sells a Floaty Back Door that doesn't actually float the GoPro with anything attached to it. How can you actually use it then? Handheld?

I know it should be tethered at all times regardless. But then why buy a Floaty Back Door. That is just a scam.

We no longer sell GoPro. We are selling off our inventory and not reordering. We sell almost entirely to kiteboarders and can't in good conscience sell them anymore.

- Droffats

Return to “Kitesurfing”