jb74
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gaastra Jekyll 2012

Postby jb74 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi,
I'm planning to buy a bigger kite for less windy days.
I found a Gaastra Jekyll 2012 at a relatively good price. I was trying to read some reviews before throwing out the money but couldn't find any so far.
Does somebody have experience with Gaastra Jekyll 2012, 16.5 m2? Or could you please send me a link with a test? I really would like to know if it worth to give money for this kitevas it's not a widely known brand....
The only one comment I found about Jekyll on Kiteforum is that the kite is heavy and you have to work more to keep it in the air.
I would need more information....
Thanks in advance.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Re: Gaastra Jekyll 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:25 am

Only flown a 12m and it is a really decent kite. Very stable, lots of static grunt, and flies enough to the edge of the window for decent speed. They make a really good kite and yes when my mate was looking for one he had the same problem finding information. Fast turning to. All 16,5m kites are on the heavy side, thats a given. But yes it does have a beefy build for sure.

jb74
Rare Poster

Postby jb74 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:36 am

Westozzy: thanks a lot for your input. A few things give me thoughts: Gaastra is not replying to different questions….if the after sale support is the same then I have to reconsider buying a Gaastra kite.
I read in one of your posts that you are using Ozone. A 2013 Catalyst 14m2 would be my other option (the only one thing what bothers me is that I should wait 35-40 days for Catalyst). What do you think: does it worth to wait for Catalyst or Jekyll would be a better choice? With harness and other gear (wetsuit etc ) I weight around 90 kg. I have a Bandit 5, 10m2 for days above 19knots. The second kite would be for 11-18 knots.
Do you have experience with 2013 Catalyst? Or 2012 Catalyst? I’m interested in the quality also.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:59 am

Yeh owned for a while. The new cat has a very decent bottom end. But that is delivered through more static grunt than anything. Honestly hand on heart at your weight 11 to 18 you need to look seriously at the new zephyr albeit a lot more expensive. I cannot remember when I have been so stoked about a kite before. And while the 14m cat gets a bit 'punchy' at 18 the zephyr just come ALIVE! Infact it would come alive at 15 knots for you on the right board. At 13 knots you'll be at least out. Below this is race board territory.

It has the perfect amount of edge in it, yet stable enough to be unhooked. Quick enough to loop and enough static grunt if currents and swell about. Man I wish they made this kite in smaller sizes!!

Gastra versus ozone, there is no competition here. But not saying the gastra isn't a bad kite, just obvious as hell, functional.

Zephyr man.

Ps don't f*** around with 14m kites at your weight.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:10 pm

My friend has one. I flew it a few times.
It likes to lock in hard and is extremely stable in gusty winds.
I found it hard to turn relative to slingys.
Seems like it parks itself so solidly that I doesnt like to break out to turn.
Was considering it for a 7m very high wind kite due to stability.

jb74
Rare Poster

Postby jb74 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Westozzy, NYKiter thanks for both of you.
A Zephyr would cost me twice comparing to Gaastra. On the other hand I know if you don’t have a good kite then you won’t enjoy this sport….I wish I would have the possibility to try a Gaastra but in Hungary this is almost impossible. The brand is not well known here and we don’t have proper wind either….I suppose in Grand Canaria or at other windy spots it would be possible to test the kites before buying them.
I didn’t quite understand this: “Gastra versus ozone, there is no competition here. But not saying the gastra isn't a bad kite, just obvious as hell, functional.”
You mean that the two brands cannot be (or there is no sense) compared as Ozone is way better than Gaastra?
It’s true, I read a few reviews about Ozone kites and the testers say good things about them.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:04 pm

When your talking about 16m kites, nothing performs well in light winds anyways...
All 16m kites are essentially flying pigs....you cant go wrong...

Return to “Kitesurfing”