Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

how low can you go ??

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
mattthieu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none so far
Favorite Beaches: snowy fields around !!
Style: snow kite ski for now !!
Gear: some foils, and two new LEI for this summer !
Brand Affiliation: none yet !!héhé
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: how low can you go ??

Postby mattthieu » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:12 am

of topics, but, SO cool !

those boards are amazing !

BUT, clearly : to expensive, hard to realize, impossible for me to make myself in a lifetime, not wood, not suitable for kiteboards !

ok, here is a stupid question, of topics aswell, but : what about using bubble wrap sheets as core ? with some stringers ? and glass, would look cool and be light weight !! i know it's stupid, but imagine the look of that thing !

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby zfennell » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:29 pm

mattthieu wrote:
BUT, clearly : to expensive, hard to realize, impossible for me to make myself in a lifetime, not wood, not suitable for kiteboards !

!

i dont really disagree.
i think thats because neither of us has a good handle on the skills needed to build a board this way from a computer model.

lots of freeware sources to loft the desired shape
what software would be helpful extracting cross-sections at desired spacing?
all the cross-sections could be reassembled with similar software to determine intresections for slots.?
print them all out or find someone with n/c cutter?
one program to do it all would be nice?

cardboard is paper which is definitely a wood product
its the cheapest of all the materials we've talked about so far.
its not hard to source paper honeycomb empregnated with phenolic resin
its almost waterproof and comes with enough information (material properties) to determine suitability for a kiteboard.

i still dont think this is easy, its just that we haven't come up to speed on the required skill sets yet.
or you could just pay the man $150 and start glassing

?

mattthieu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none so far
Favorite Beaches: snowy fields around !!
Style: snow kite ski for now !!
Gear: some foils, and two new LEI for this summer !
Brand Affiliation: none yet !!héhé

Postby mattthieu » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:15 pm

well, honetcomb IS basicaly a kind of paper based thing ( could be ).

but, there is little way to shape it ( i mean, IF you intend to presse it between two sheets of wood ( or veener )) to make it into a core. so, you would have to get a press to bend the wood sheets over the edges of the honey comb.

i could however so how honeycomb could be used to fill the center of a board leaving the few cm at the edges with wood in order to shape the rails.

so, basicaly here is my proposal : honey com 3/8 or 1/4 inch, balsa rails one inch thick all around and in the fin and insert sections, wooden veener ( wood on wood, crossed grain or parallel grain ( woudl go with parallele because 1 : better transportation ito a rolled sheet 4 feet long, and second, stronger in the grain direction , could get to 1.2 mm thin i guess, cause veener row or on paper is between 0,4 and 0,6 mm, i guess ), veener essence woudl be open to discution, whether it's just for solidity and you will cover it with carbon or it's also for looks and you will cover it with glass.

then, press all that, shape the rails, glass ( or carbon ) and in my head this will be the ultimate light weight without foam.

dont forget to drill the insert holes all the way trought the board so that they act as a link between top and bottom sheet !

then, of couse, it's a hight tech solution !

or you coud go : my next thing i think with scared and grain balsa mat ! light, compression strenght liek you could roll a car over, easy to get ( can be send roled up ) easy to work with ( it's wood ) AND, the scares between the cubes of wood are acting as hundreds of dropstitches, no way this would ever pop.

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby zfennell » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:38 pm

i'm not really trying to sell any particular approach.
just give you an idea of what works.
perhaps some insight into why it works.

10+ years ago Simon (SQ225917)built this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4375&p=28192&hilit= ... mex#p28192

no foam. i bet it was pretty light.
....something around 1.5Kg

Return to “Gear Builders”