All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's the best twintip board for wave riding...?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:06 am 
Frequent Poster

Maybe a Shinn Speedball. I haven't ridden one yet, but it looks like it might be a Shinn with some of the Mako qualities that people like for waves.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:09 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yes and no. True when I got on the speedball the adjustment was easy from the mako. I still have the mako and not a speedball if that's any indication. But each to their own.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:32 am 
Very Frequent Poster

From what you explain it sounds like you would be better on a mutant. But hey try out a surfboard you may love it. I didn't. Hated every minute of riding the surfboard apart from when on the wave face its self. Then it was good.

But that's me i'm a weirdo and do not follow the current trends and accepted norms.

mako would be a good option. You can use it in standard TT mode or surf it up with offset stance and 3 fin thruster set up at the back.

PS I'm in a prestine wave location and most of the locals rock surfboards. I use a mutant because I love to blast the shallows, boost off the waves on the way slash up the waves on the way back in. For me its not about being a purist and riding the waves like a surfer. Its about riding the waves to advantage me as a kiter not use the kite to to me out and then try and ride the wave like a surfer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:35 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I rode all three (Mako 150, Shinn Dundee and Shinn Speedball) and I think the Mako is the best at wave only, but the Dundee is the best at wave and non-vawe conditions (most versatile board), and the Speedball is best at flattish water (it can do waves but not as excellently as the Speedball).

I also ride a surfboard and it is still better than all of above **IF** the waves are really good - for mushy or hollow or small waves the twintips are much more fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:26 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeh pretty spot on above. I would say that matches my experience to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 pm 
Rare Poster

I think fun is the key here.

For the conditions I ride in, uk south coast mush, I used a Mako which was great. However personally found it to feel a bit dead, I.e there's little flex and it's feels heavy.

In the end I had some Nomad kiteboards made for me which are awesome, Mako shape, but full carbon construction, very lightweight, insane pop and awesome control in the waves.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:16 pm 
Rare Poster

Forgot to add. I tried directionals, North Wam. Well if we had 6-8ft waves I might have kept it, we don't and it's not much fun cruising around one. I've done that for 30 years windsurfing! LOL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Mako - but it has its limitations...its like a knife on the wave and limits your maneuverability and the rocker isnt big enough.

Eventually the surfboard is the only true option.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:48 am 
Frequent Poster

Right on Captain J and NYKiter :wink:

Mako is heavy and stuck in the water but better than most TT's. I guess I think the 150 is cool because you can jump off of waves going out and enjoy the landing better than a Mako King. But King rules down bigger waves... In Mutant mode it requires another kite size bigger plus any gybing is hard but doable...

How about a strapped surfboard?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:15 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeh sarc is right. Mako if you want to ride a little more upright like a SB, those rails really grip on a waves wall, also if you go the king it rides great strapless to.

Dundee if you want more of a Traditonal TT feel but nice and carvy in the waves with very good feedback to the rider at all times.

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next