powerpersonified
Medium Poster
Style: wake
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Phoenix, Arizona Kiting

Postby powerpersonified » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:46 am

There IS kiting in Phoenix - Lake Pleasant nukes often in the winter time early in the day - March is windy at least a couple days a week everywhere and Roosevelt blows alot in the afternoon in the spring and summer - Its not a great place to kite and its not windy often but I've had many a session at a few places within 30 minutes of the valley

boatppl
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Dewey Beach, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Avon, NC

Postby boatppl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:26 pm

There are some great short hikes within the city if you can't kite there. I did Piestewa Peak and Camelback in the same afternoon right after I checked in to a hotel. Had to work the rest of the week.

kitesharm
Rare Poster

Re: Phoenix, ARIZONA Kiting

Postby kitesharm » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:12 pm

screven wrote:RP can be great this time of year but you have to base your trip in the forcasts since there is no sea breeze effect until mid to late March. North to Northwest winds are best. South winds are usualy stormy this time of year. My rule of thumb is if it's over 14mph from WNW to N your good to go. You will want to ride at Cholla bay in this wind. Ask for JJs Cantina to get you to the area. There are some flats just before there that are awesome at high tide. If the tide is low you need to go out around JJs or to a small beach called Tucson Beach. A 3/2 with a semi dry top will do the trick for warmth. A 3/2 alone is fine to but a bit chilly. Use windguru.com to check the weather. You can link to my Cholla Bay forcast set at "screvenc". The NAM model is the most accurate.

It's been a bad first couple of months there so you will probably see me and a few others down there if we get a couple of northern wind days. Send me your EMAIL and I'll let you know if we go.

Chris
Hi Chris,
Do you kite in Nov/Dec?
I am coming around the holidays and would love to get some action....

screven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby screven » Mon May 03, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi. Yes November and December can be really good on a normal year. This year was bad because of El Nino but we usually get quite a few 2-3 day periods with good NW wind. Temps are usually 65 - 75 and you need at least a 3/2 wetsuit. Best place is Cholla Bay when the winds are north. Send me your EMAIL if you want to go down with us and I'll keep you up to date. I usually start going down in mid October.

Chris

wannakitesurf
Medium Poster

Postby wannakitesurf » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:25 pm

So, I'll be there in July/Aug/Sept..........sounds like a waste of time for me to bring my kite gear?...too hot??

screven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby screven » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:58 pm

wannakitesurf wrote:So, I'll be there in July/Aug/Sept..........sounds like a waste of time for me to bring my kite gear?...too hot??
Yea. It's pretty hot...too hot for me but some of the guys here go anyway. San Quintin on the Baja is fantastic in the summer...70/80 degrees and both flat water and wave riding. Also some nice accommodations in the area. It's a 10 hr drive from Tucson/Phoenix area.

Chris

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:07 pm

your only 16 hours from South Padre Island Texas, kite paradise. headed out for a shred in a minute here myself, same as everyday.

screven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby screven » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:59 pm

bnthere wrote:your only 16 hours from South Padre Island Texas, kite paradise. headed out for a shred in a minute here myself, same as everyday.
Yea it's awesome there. Been going once or twice every year since 2002. Started driving last year. Not as bad a drive as I thought it was going to be.

Chris

wannakitesurf
Medium Poster

Postby wannakitesurf » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:10 pm

WIll have the family with me. Working 5 days. Wouldn't get away for 32 hr round trip drive and a few hours kiting. No Chance. :(

Return to “Kitesurfing”